Old 12-06-2007, 11:17 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Non-dairy protein sources for snacks?

I know there have been threads on protein sources and snack options before, but I have a little more specific of a question. As I've been paying attention to how I feel after I eat certain foods, I'm finding that my body is very sensitive to dairy products.

Unfortunately, dairy is my main source of snack-time protein -- cottage cheese, hard cheese, yogurt, string cheese, etc... and I definitely cannot do without a source of protein when I eat a snack or I might as well not have eaten anything (I get hungry very shortly after if it's just a carb).

Aside from eggs and peanut butter, and short of eating a chicken breast for snack, what kinds of non-dairy snack-time protein do you guys eat? I'm kind of at a loss and therefore continuing to eat dairy, but it really makes my insides unhappy.

Anybody do anything creative?
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #2  
BabyFatBeGone

S/C/G: 163/145/130

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I love hummus with baked pita chips for a snack. Yummy, crunchy and good for me
BabyFatGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:09 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

I LOVE soy nuts. (Of course I like the salted ones. . . but anyhoo)

I generally stop by whole foods and buy about 4 different varietys of nuts and keep them in plastic bins in my cabinet. They vary, but I like almonds, soy nuts, walnuts & cashews the best. Though, cashews are uber high in calories. Really, all nuts are so you have to confine the amount you eat, but they've got good protein.

Something I did this week was buy chickpeas and boil them up over the weekend. Then, I lightly coated them with garlic salt. I've been using them as side dishes all week long, but I can't see how it wouldn't be a good snack. Talk about filling!

Another option is something like a luna bar. Protein bars are obviously a nice choice but they are UBER high in calories. Luna bars range from 170 - 190 which isn't terrible. Plus, they're yummy. You could always have 1/2 of one if you're really restricting your snack calories.

Last edited by Amberelise; 12-06-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:10 PM   #4  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I looooove Primal Strips. I get mine at whole foods. They're about $1 each so I don't eat them all the time but a few a week. Teriyki and Mesquite Lime are my favorite flavors.

Hummus is good. You could also make chickpea crunchies. mmm...garbonzo

Last edited by shananigans; 12-06-2007 at 01:11 PM.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:14 PM   #5  

From askmen.com

1- Beef jerky
Believe it or not, this old classic is actually a healthy choice. On average, one ounce contains about 70 calories and 1 gram of fat, but delivers 11 grams of protein. However, the brands sold in convenience stores are often high in salt. Look for healthier versions in health food stores.

2- Egg whites
One egg white has only 15 calories, is fat and cholesterol-free, and contains 4 grams of protein. Throw two or three in a pan (with some peppers and onions if you want to make an omelet) for a quick, nutritious mini-meal.

3- Cottage cheese and fruit
One-half cup of 2% cottage cheese contains on average 16 grams of protein, yet only has 102 calories and 2 grams of fat (as opposed to other types of cheese, which can be extremely high in fat). If high protein isn't your ideal goal, then mix it with some fresh fruit for a fast, healthy snack.

4- Tuna
Tuna is a great source of protein with approximately 25 grams per can. Plus, one can of tuna in water contains approximately 111 calories and is fat-free. And hey, go easy on the mayonnaise if you're making a sandwich -- it's also full of fat.

5- Protein bars
Although there are hundreds of varieties on the market, keep in mind that all protein bars are not created equal. Avoid bars that are high in carbohydrates and fat. A good choice is Designer Whey Protein Bars; each 75-gram bar contains a full 30 grams of protein, with only 6 grams of carbs and 5 grams of fat.
6- Shakes
As with protein bars, many commercial protein shakes and powders can be high in carbohydrates. Advanced Protein, which delivers 20 grams of protein, 2 grams of fat and only 2 grams of carbs per scoop, is perfect for guys who work out.

You can also make your own high-protein shake without protein powder. Blend the following ingredients:

2 cups natural soy milk (Make sure it doesn't have any added sugar. The only ingredients should be soy and distilled water.)
3 egg whites
1 banana (Or another fruit of your choice.)
1 tablespoon natural peanut butter (It only contains peanuts and oil -- no preservatives -- available in health food stores and some grocery stores.)
2 tablespoons flax powder (Or 2 teaspoons flax seed oil.)
1/3 cup rolled oats

7- Lentils
Although they may not seem appetizing on their own, putting a handful of them in your soup or salad will give your snack a protein boost. One cup of lentils has about 230 calories, 1 gram of fat and 18 grams of protein.

8- Peanut butter
If you loved peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as a kid, you're in luck. One tablespoon contains about 4 grams of protein, 8 grams of fat and 95 calories. For an energy boost, spread it on a slice of whole-wheat bread (60 calories and 1 gram of fat) and top it with banana slices.

9- Oatmeal
According to Aubyn Garstang, a certified personal trainer, many men who train hard favor oatmeal for its balance of protein and good carbohydrates, which gives them the energy necessary to make it through an intense workout. One packet of instant oatmeal has about 5 grams of protein, 105 calories and 2 grams of fat. You can eat it alone or add some cinnamon to the mix.a question of balanceNo matter how busy you are, it's really not that difficult to eat nutritious, high-protein snacks. If you keep a few cans of tuna and some eggs in your fridge at all times, you'll have some healthy alternatives to fatty chips and chocolate bars.

However, keep in mind that your body does need a certain amount of carbohydrates, which is the main source of energy for working muscles and other bodily functions. Therefore, you shouldn't try to eliminate carbs completely, especially if you work out.

The key is to eat a balanced diet that includes lean protein, minimally refined carbs (whole grain pasta, whole grain rice), simple carbs (raw fruits and vegetables), and a small amount of fat in order to provide your body with all the nutrients and energy needed to function at your best capacity.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:53 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Let's see --

I used to have Luna bars around but I found I got used to relying on them... and started eating them way too frequently, which got expensive. I also am trying to be less "processed" in my food choices! And shakes -- well, even if I find one that doesn't have a dairy element, I still prefer to chew my food

Unfortunately anything I have to cook is out for snacks (egg whites), since I'm at work.

I can't believe I didn't think of nuts!! I bet a serving of almonds with some dried fruit or unsalted soy nuts would fit the bill perfectly.

And I looove chickpeas, I've never tried eating them just on their own. I tend to put them in soups and on salads. I guess this is an exercise in redefining what I think of as a snack! So you just eat them cold, after roasting or boiling them? And I used to be a big hummus person and would make it all the time, but I find I'm on hummus overload right now and it doesn't appeal to me anymore (for the time being).

Hm, I wonder if I could cook up a batch of chickpea patties and have one of those as a snack at work? Just pop it in the m/o... Anyone have recipes?

Thanks for the suggestions, I'd love to hear more!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #7  

You could eat the chickpeas cold or microwave them. Either way works. But, if you're going to microwave them, put the garlic salt (or whatever spices you may want) on afterwards. Otherwise the flavor disappears.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #8