Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/163/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Hypothyroid and Soy

Hello all,

I was recently diagnosed hypothyroid. I have been doing some reading, and it seems that there's a notion out there that eating soy products when one is hypothyroid is not a good idea.

Over the years, I have been a moderate consumer of soy. I am a carnivore, so protein isn't a huge problem, however, I am a huge fan of protein shakes, most of which have lecithin (usually derived from soybean oil) in them.

Has anyone done any reading on the safety of consuming lecithin? Seems like a lot of the articles I've encountered have kind of dismissed the "soy-hypothyroid-bad" connection, but honestly, I wonder about it.

It appears that there are two other types of lecithin-- egg-derived and sunflower-derived. Does anyone know of a company that makes supplements using these types instead of a soy-based lecithin?
Erinyes74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Most of what I've read suggests that the hormone-like effects of soy are at worst, relatively weak, and that most doctors feel that only very frequent, large amounts of soy in the diet could cause problems. You may want to talk to your doctor(s), though and get his, her or their opinions.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:38 AM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos 6 years ago. I've been vegetarian for years and was worried at first about all the soy I eat. I've stopped worrying because after 6 years my hormone levels are still normal. Seems my huge soy intake isn't causing any deterioration for me. Of course everyone is different so it may effect you more. So much of this stuff seems to be trial and error on an individual basis!
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:41 AM   #4  

I am hypothyroid, and I avoid soy, but mostly soy proteins. Soy oil and lecithin I don't worry about. Both my husband and I have had negative reactions to soy proteins, which is another reason we avoid them.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/163/135

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the great responses. I do intend to check with my doctors on this one.

I would like to think I am going to be OK with moderate amounts of lecithin (maybe 5-8 shakes a week), and as you said, Monet, just completely avoid the soy proteins.

We'll see what the doc says...
Erinyes74 is offline   Reply With Quote