Old 11-29-2007, 05:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/182/145

Height: 5' 7"

Default I Need Protein Ideas!!

So I really like the fitday.com trackers and over the last 2 days I have realized I am not (at least I think!) getting enough protein...should I be eating more protein than fat....than carbs?? I'm not trying to Atkins..but I'm just not sure how much!!

Then...I need protein ideas...forget the shakes...what common foods have a great amount of protein in them that you like ? May be a stupid question...but I am just now starting to read labels! Before I didn't because they held me accountable!!
Liapizzaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:36 PM   #2  
Meg

Here are some protein sources with suggested serving sizes ... hope it helps!

Protein Sources

Eggs, Cheese, and Dairy

Cheese, light or fat free = 2 oz
Yogurt, low fat and sugar free = 8 oz
Egg whites = 4
Eggbeaters = ½ cup
Cottage cheese, low-fat = ½ cup

Fish

Any fish or shellfish = 4 oz

Meat or Poultry

Skinless chicken or turkey = 3 – 4 oz
Lean beef or pork = 3 – 4 oz
Lean deli meat = 3 - 4 oz

Meat Substitutes

Soy chicken patty = 1
Soy burger = 1
Soy hot dog = 1
Soy cheese = 2 oz
Soy milk = 8 oz
Soy nuts = 1/3 – ½ cup
Tofu = 4 oz
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:32 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Well Meg pretty much said it all

For breakfasts I love to have an egg (a real one, not sub) between toast or an english muffin. Or when I have oatmeal I throw in a serving of walnuts. Both of those provide me enough fuel for 3ish hours, at which point I either eat a snack or lunch depending on the time.

Lunch protein... can be as easy as cooking extra chicken the night before and throwing leftovers on a salad. Or making a hardboiled egg and packing it with your lunch. Cottage cheese is another very versatile protein source that works well at lunch... Throw some on whole grain crackers with some tomato and pepper! Very yummy, lots of protein!

Snacks I always try to combine protein and carbs... if I eat an apple, I'll be hungry again in 20 minutes. If I eat an apple with a serving of cheese, I'll be set until dinner! Same goes with cheese and crackers, or cottage cheese and fruit.

Dinner protein sources are the most obvious, as we're kind of programmed to expect a large chunk of meat at dinner. Just watch your portion size, and downplay the carbs you serve yourself in favor of veggies.

There's definitely a balance to be struck. I don't think that anything that totally eliminates a food group for any extended period of time is sustainable, but that's me. Carbs and protein and fat are all important in your diet, and those Fitday guidelines are pretty standard. I am for the lower carb range and the mid-to-upper protein range, personally.

Good luck
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:27 AM   #4  
MeoW

S/C/G: 275/215/160

Height: 5'7

Egg whites are an awesome source of protein 4 egg whites only has 66 calories and 14 grams of protein, i love them, i hard boil eggs and just toss out the yolk, throw a little s&p on them and yummmmay!!!
also shrimp, i eat a fair amount of shrimp because its pretty low cal and pretty high in protein, and its yummy
cupcake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/182/145

Height: 5' 7"

cupcake,suite, and meg- Thanks for the extra ideas....I've been eating salad at lunch and chicken is something I can definitely add in!! Thank you so much!!

Lory- my mom died too...about a year and 3 months ago. My weight gain came from the stress and depression of her dying so unexpectedly. I know its been **** for me, so I'm so sorry that you lost your mom too. I dont think I'll over move on- but I'll always move forward.
Liapizzaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:19 PM   #6  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

Hey, how about protein shakes?

Do you guys know of any low in sugar, carbs, and cals, yet tasty?
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:01 PM   #7  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

My favorite breakfast is Special K and a hard boiled egg under 200 calories and 15 grams of protein.
Veggie dogs are pretty awesome too. I like them *so* much better than real hot dogs (oxymoron? ). And they're super easy.
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:26 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

Veggie dogs are one thing I never could develop a taste for! I like pretty much any other veg substitute... but veggie dogs tasted like cardboard

As for shakes... I don't think you can find a commercial one that fits all your criteria! I may be missing something, but I'm under the impression that if you want an all-around good for you protein shake, you're going to have to do it yourself. There is a Slim Fast high protein shake that's supposed to be lower carb but everytime I look at one out of curiosity they still seem to pack in so much sugar......
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/149/135

Height: 5'7

One of my favs is special k protein bars. I have one for my mid morning snack everyday. I like the special K, because I can get it in strawberry flavor and not just chocolate.
Trendle is offline   Reply With Quote