Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

Question Is anyone familiar with the old "exchange program?"

I am a lifetime member of WW, but I got that status back in 1985 after the birth of my third child. The program back then was a system of exchanges; i.e. you were allowed to eat three "bread" exchanges, which would be three servings of starchy foods, three "fruit" exchanges, etc. I've tried to go back on WW several times since they switched to Points and Core, but I've never been able to become comfortable with any of them. I discovered one of my old WW diet logs from back in the day in one of my old cookbooks, whited out the stuff I had written in, and photocopied it. I am trying to follow it on my own. I do wish they'd return to exchanges. I found the Points to be very cumbersome and the Core just didn't gel for me at all.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:58 AM   #2  

I remember that one! I did WW back before points (acutally my mother put me on it as a teen - no wonder I have food issues). It hasn't been working for me lately, I can't seem to control myself around the bread exchanges. Overall though I do find that it is a great way to watch portions.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:18 PM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

I'm glad it works for you but for me it was too much like a diet and not a lifestyle for me. Points and Core (I bounce back and forth and don't just stick to one of the arms of the plan) make this way of life so much more simple for me.

What was it about Core that didn't gel for you ... it is basically the same thing as the selections but just not called that or tracked like that.

Also if you do some searching within this forum there are a few other threads you could resurrect on the selections/exchanges.

I can tell you (this is based on all the leaders and friends I have that work for W/W) that they will not be returning to a selection type program.

The 8 Healthy Guidelines that W/W has (for both Flex and Core) really helps you eat healthy and very similiar to the 'health' part of selections.

Good luck in your weight loss endeavours.

BTW Thinfor5 where in PA? I am originally from there and am headed on vacation there on the 4th.

Last edited by Kelly_S; 11-29-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm a member of TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly) a nonprofit organization weight loss club, and the "official" diet plan is exchange-based, though TOPS members can use any diet plan they wish to (although you will be discouraged from extreme, unhealthy plans).

The TOPS plan, like most exchange plans including Weight Watcher's old plan
are based on the food exchange diet first developed in the 1950's for diabetics. The plan hasn't change much over the years, and is still endorsed by diabetic and dietetic associations. The exchanges are usually the same from plan to plan, and the usual differences between plans is how the calories are divied up between exchanges. One plan, for example may have more starches and fewer proteins than one plan. One might call for more dairy and less protein....

Two sites I can highly recommend for exchange information very similar to the old WW plan is hillbillyhousewife.com (gives exchange information for a variety of calorie levels for three different carbohydrate levels), and tops.org
You do not have to be a member of TOPS to use their site, and if you check out the TOOLS section you will find info on the exchange program and even exchange "cards" that you can print out to use "Deal-a-Meal" style.

One thing that is very nice about the exchanges being very consistent from plan to plan, is that you can use the cookbooks from almost any exchange plan interchangeably: Richard Simmon's, Healthy Exchanges, any pre-1997 Weight Watcher's cookbook, many diabetic cookbooks.... I shop thrift stores and amazon.com. Newer diabetic cookbooks sometimes count carbs, rather than exchanges, but usually the reviews or product description will indicate whether the exchange system is used also or instead.

The Weight Watchers Complete Cookbook and Program Basics (Hardcover)
(1994) is available used on amazon.com for around $5 (approximately $4 shipping and handling and $1 for the book).

If you feel you'd like the support and weekly weigh-ins of a meeting, I also can't say enough good things about TOPS. TOPS is a non-profit organization and as a result much cheaper than WW. Unlike WW, each group is run a little differently, because members vote on policies and procedures of each group. My husband and I joined in August (I'd been a member in the past) and when we joined, we figured that our dues for the entire year would be cheaper than one month at Weight Watcher's. That was before we learned that our chapter has ways members can earn free dues (each 10 lb loss, or by losing weight 4 weeks in a row in a given month).

Whatever way you go, good luck!
Old 11-29-2007, 03:32 PM   #5  

Oh, pumpkinseed,

I did want to mention that one thing that helps me control cravings and binging, is carefully selecting my fruit and starch exchanges.

Sugars and refined carbs trigger extreme cravings and hunger for me, but if I pick high fiber whole grains and veggies for my starch and fresh fruit that isn't extremely sweet for my fruits, I don't have as much problem. So, I try not to eat bread, but use brown rice, wheat berries and quinoa (prepared and used like rice),winter squash, peas, corn, potatoes... starches that have a lot more fiber and more complex carbohydrates.

It isn't easy to do, because the simple carbs are everywhere and in everything, but if you can manage it, you might see a big difference.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:53 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Oh, pumpkinseed,

I did want to mention that one thing that helps me control cravings and binging, is carefully selecting my fruit and starch exchanges.

Sugars and refined carbs trigger extreme cravings and hunger for me, but if I pick high fiber whole grains and veggies for my starch and fresh fruit that isn't extremely sweet for my fruits, I don't have as much problem. So, I try not to eat bread, but use brown rice, wheat berries and quinoa (prepared and used like rice),winter squash, peas, corn, potatoes... starches that have a lot more fiber and more complex carbohydrates.

It isn't easy to do, because the simple carbs are everywhere and in everything, but if you can manage it, you might see a big difference.
Oh I know! I do eat quinoa, whole grain rices (so many interesting varieties and colors) and sweet potatoes all the good stuff. But a nice crusty baguette is so hard to resist , especially when it is warm with butter. I keep popping on these boards whenever I get cravings - that does seem to help! (well it doesn't help me do all the other stuff I need to get done).

Last edited by pumpkinseed; 11-29-2007 at 04:17 PM. Reason: a doozy of a spelling error!
Old 11-29-2007, 04:03 PM   #7  

Crusty bread is my weakness too, it's definitely why I said, "easier said than done." I do love the exchange plan though, because it is as simple as calorie counting (and since all exchanges contain approximately the same calories, I consider it "short-hand" calorie counting with a few "extra" rules). To a certain degree, the exchange plans have "balanced diet" and nutritional education built-in, which is an advantage for me. I love food, including "healthy foods," but when I just count calories, I'm often much more tempted to budget my calories unwisely.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:40 AM   #8  

I'm from Montgomery County and I work in Bucks (Southeastern PA). Where in PA are you from? My daughter lives in Pittsburgh and loves it there.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:30 PM   #9  
Cowboy Up Chick

Thinfor5, I am orginally from Hermitage/Sharon/Sharpsville area. Little town called Transfer. I now live in Arizona though.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:07 AM   #10  

Default Thanks, Colleen, for the tip!

I have tried the TOPS exchange plan and have lost weight already! I really appreciate your pointing me in that direction.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:32 AM   #11  

Glad to be of help. I love the exchange plan too, because to some degree "balance" is built in.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #12  
banned

if you like exchanges look@ LA weight loss or richard simmons food mover.
Closed Thread