WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 11-14-2007, 06:41 PM   #1  
Proud Mommy

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5 ' 3

Question How much equal for splenda recipe?

I need to make my crustless pumpkin pie recipe for thanksgiving,but i have a question..I cant stand splenda at all..The recipe calls for 3/4 cup of this stuff..I will be using equal..Would I use the same amount??I just dont want to guess and have a horrible taste to it..lol..TIA
snapplegirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I don't know of any direct correlation between Splenda and Equal; however, Splenda (at least the regular white one) measures the same as sugar. So -- if your Equal tells you how much to use in place of a given amount of sugar, you should be able to figure it out from there. Also be sure that the Equal is okay for something that will be baked (i.e., able to be heated to relatively high temps without changing the taste). some artificial sweeteners turn bitter when heated.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:53 PM   #3  

Equal is not really conducive to baking. I had a disaster situation the last time I tried it. Splenda on the other hand is very conducive to baking. Have you tried it in a baking context yet?
katmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:08 AM   #4  
Proud Mommy

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5 ' 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeow View Post
Have you tried it in a baking context yet?
No.Last year I made the recipe,but I bought some store brand sweetener,and it came out fine..Thanks for the info about the equal..I will just buy the same sweetener as last year
snapplegirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:01 PM   #5  

You cannot bake with Equal. Splenda is the only one that can take heat and still be sweet. Equal gets bitter.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:47 PM   #6  
Day 1 back on plan...

S/C/G: 244/tickers/175

I can't stand the taste of splenda either. I can handle the products that already have it added but when I try to make tea with it YUCK! Can you taste it when you bake with it?
Losing4another is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:23 AM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

Actually not being able to cook with Nutrasweet/equal is a myth.

Can aspartame be used in cooking or baking?

Yes. Low-calorie sweeteners containing aspartame can be used in a wide variety of recipes. In recipes requiring lengthy heating or baking, a loss of sweetness may occur. Therefore, it is best to use tabletop sweeteners with aspartame in specially suggested and tested recipes. If a food containing aspartame is heated for too long, it would still be safe but will simply not provide the desired sweetness.
Kelly_S is offline   Reply With Quote