South Beach Diet - Terrific Tuesday?

View Full Version : Terrific Tuesday?

Ruthxxx
11-06-2007, 07:01 AM
Well, it could be. "Make it so."

Quickie this morning after a good night's sleep. No grumpies today. Some mornings I feel like the big Monty Python foot is hanging over my head. It's hard to stay grumpy when my Hershey is so happy to see me. She is nearly ten but still jumps straight up in the air in greeting when I open the kitchen door.

Lots of "stuff" to clear off the Niggle List this week. This morning I WILL go to the gym and then to the funeral home to finalize arrangements for Harry. I also need to renew my car licence and have lost the forms somehow. Luckily all this stuff is just over in the next village so can be done in the morning.

The deer hunt has started around here and the lads are doing well. Friend Art and his pals are hoping NOT to get their limit quickly. Last year they were home in three days! It's a break for the guys AND for their wives!

Gotta get cracking and get Tuesday underway. Have a lovely day.

cottagebythesea
11-06-2007, 07:05 AM
Good morning all,

It's a gloomy, dark and rainy morning out there, and it's made me feel rather sluggish. I had my shower but put my nightie back on and am just going to be a couch potato until it's time to get Maggie. I guess I'd better find a music video for us so we can dance away this afternoon, and that will count for my exercise. ;)

What's happening in your life today?

cottagebythesea
11-06-2007, 07:11 AM
Good morning, Ruth. I thought you'd probably be starting this thread while I was getting another cup of coffee. :D Tell some of those deer hunters to come down here to PA. There are deer all over the place, we really have to be careful while driving. I have mixed feelings, though. They're so beautiful and I hate to think about their demise, but yet again, we're getting overrun by them!

tomandkara
11-06-2007, 07:38 AM
Good morning, faithful moderators!

Ruth, did I miss that Harry passed? I am so very sorry if so. Please let us know if we can do anything from our corners of the world.

Linda, I laughed when I read about you getting back into your jammies. I didn't get dressed until about four o'clock this afternoon, and the only reason I did is because I knew Tom would be home in about an hour and if I was still in my PJs, he'd have some funny looks for me. There just seems like there's always something else to do besides getting into regular clothes! I read in a magazine this weekend that the average mom spends 166 minutes a day on laundry and 7 minutes doing her hair!

I was a lazy bum today and didn't even leave the house. We had a pleasant day, though. Busy inside. I had a great side dish with dinner tonight - cut up a red pepper into quarters and stuffed it with a mixture of 5 tablespoons light sour cream, two cups of fresh spinach, and salt and pepper. It was DELICIOUS!

Time to get the laundry started and see what's on TV. Have a lovely Tuesday!

Kara

KO
11-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Ruth: To Echo Kara Did something happen to Harry? :hug: If you need anything please let us know!

Cottage: I can't tell you how nice that day sounds!!
Kara I believe it! I'm ready for a jammie day! your side dish sounds nummy!

Me: UGH won't get to post at work because I'm being coached! Got called unprofessional yesterday for taking my vacation I had planned all year
So that Monty Python Foot/ Wylie Coyote Anvil is a cloud above my head. DH says they're trying to make me quit
(because of my disability it would be really hard for them to fire me)
They did this to an older lady I was friends with too!
So I'm sending out resumes!
On a bright note day 1 ph 1 I had roasted turkey breast and rf swiss cheese for breakfast and am sippign a diet snapple apple my FAVORITE!
So I think I'll put on some steel toed boots and kick the bleep out of this day

tomandkara
11-06-2007, 08:09 AM
You go, Kier! Kick away!!!

Kara

femmecreole
11-06-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm with you on that Monty Python foot! I am so swamped with work that all I can do is take little bites out of the elephant. My sister is leaving this morning to go back to NC, so I really need to concentrate on work now that all the family festivites are over.

I made a really yummy pumpkin bread last night (more like cake)..saw the recipe in cooking light magazine and then reduced the calorie count even more by replacing the sugar with splenda and used whole wheat pastry flour instead of regular flour. It was really good. I felt like I needed to make my company something "fallish" since I've been chincey on desserts that I usually overwhelm company with. Will post the recipe when I have time. I wrapped up one loaf for my sister to take home with her..the recipe made 2 loaves.

Have a good one everyone..heading out to work now..

tomandkara
11-06-2007, 08:21 AM
Ooooh, Cat, I can't wait to see that recipe!!! I *love* pumpkin bread!

Kara

Ruthxxx
Nope, Harry is still with us. He had a bad episode last week which was a bit of a reality check so I decided I'd better get some "arrangements" in place, especially since I'm going out West for a week the end of the month.

cottagebythesea
KO, :lol: Facing the day with your steel-toed boots! Love it! :kickbutt: You show them, Kier! :)

Kara, That stuffed pepper side dish does sound good. :T Do you bake it or serve it raw? I think I'd prefer it cooked. Enjoy your evening!

Well, I got dressed after all. I just felt too guilty sitting here thinking of all the things I could be (should be!) doing, and my conscience got the best of me. :) I just wrestled with a butternut squash and now have it simmering in the pot for homemade butternut squash soup. I vow from here on out to buy the pre-cut packaged squash! What a waste of time, I almost needed an axe to cut it, then made a dreadful mess peeling it. :( But it's in the pot now and starting to smell wonderful.

dcapulet
ruth: I'm sorry about harry! I hope he gets better :hug:

cotage: same thing here. it's a lonely looking day out there. me and the baby are going to stay in and cuddle.

KO: I know and hate that feeling of being pushed out. I hope you find something better.

kara: hooray for "bum" days!

femme: paula deen makes a super pumpkin cake with lf cream cheese frosting...food network has it online. I've been looking forward to making it all year!

As for me, something weird happened last night.. I was eating well on the plan; I even got in some exercise. I ate dinner at 6:30, but by 10 i had a KILLER migraine and stomach ache. I thought I was just getting ill. Then, I ate some snacks, and felt much better.

What happened? Thats not the feelings I get when I have low blood sugar. Is is some kind of junk-food withdrawl?

:coffee:

cottagebythesea
11-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Cat, I'm looking forward to your new recipe, too. I'll compare it to mine, which is a family favorite.

tomandkara
11-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Ruth, best thoughts to you and Harry!

Linda, I served it raw. I love raw peppers. I don't know how the sour cream would do in the oven, but if you wilted the spinach with some garlic and then stuffed it into some roasted peppers...mmmmmmm...that would be divine!

DC, did you eat something with milk before you exercised? Or maybe did you eat too soon after exercising? I find I have to give my belly a little rest period after I exercise before I eat or else my digestive tract revolts on me! Hope you figure out what the culprit was!

Baby's crying so I must end here. Good night, all!

Kara

Kim_Star060404
11-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Good Morning all (and Good Evening, Kara!)

Ruth: I haven't read anything about Harry, so I'm just assuming that you're getting things ready for his funeral arrangements for when the time comes. I know what you mean with the Monty Python foot - I could smell it hovering over me this morning. :lol: Hopefully it will be an okay day, though.

Cottage: Growing up in the city, I was never really faced with deer hunting and the like. Then I met my "cowboy" hubby and I can't wait for him to go harvest a deer every year. Being biologists, he and his friends only hunt on land that has been surveyed and that they know what the deer population is. They only harvest those that have scientific basis to prove it. I think that's far better than just going out and shooting the first mammal you see. Also, it saves me a lot of money over the winter for meat. Hope you enjoy your lounging before you get Maggie.

Kara: Sounds like you and Cottage were feeling the same way today. To be honest, I wish I could spend the day in my PJs, but the sooner I get the inspections done, the better. Hope you have a great evening!

KO: Sending good thoughts to ride along with your resumes! Hope it all works out for you! I don't have as much to kick about as you, but I'll join the fray anyways!

Me: I'm feeling very gloomy as well today. I did get my workout in, so I'm proud of that. It does look like it's going to be a beautiful day and I'll be out inspecting in it, but that doesn't do much for me right now. I'm just so disenchanted with my job and my boss. He decided to hire his best friend's wife knowing that she wasn't the best candidate for the job. He's hired her before and she quit because it wasn't enough money to pay the health insurance and etc. Our policy hasn't changed and her DH hasn't gotten a better job, so what is going to be different this time? Plus, the place she is leaving has a serious reputation for calling back old employees after a few months and offering them ridiculous amounts of money to go back. I'm just so miffed at him that I don't want to be in the office! He can tell there is a difference about the way I talk to him, but he either doesn't care or doesn't notice. I'm sure it's the latter. Oh well. I start school in the spring and the quicker I get that done, the quicker I can quit, right?

Well, I need to make the bed, do the dishes, shower and get to work. Have a great day everyone!

~Kim

tomandkara
11-06-2007, 08:27 AM
Kim, you should do a ticker for when you will be finished school! Countdowns are great motivators! In the meantime, though, keep your head up and know you're doing what's right. Have a good day!

Kara

cottagebythesea
11-06-2007, 08:30 AM
decapulet, I'll bet that Paula Deen recipe is to die for, but watch out, she uses full fat ingredients, and lots of it! Your migraine and tummy ache may have been due to what you had for supper. Did you have anything with MSG in it? Or it may have been your body telling you that you needed some dairy? I'm glad your snack took care of it. Make sure you eat dairy and beans every day to help prevent that "flu" feeling.

weezle
11-06-2007, 09:04 AM
:tired::tired::tired::tired::tired::tired::tired:

Flying by quickly. Need to get used to the time change. Can't sleep straight through the night anymore.

Hope everything is going well and that you all make it a Terrific Tuesday. Need to get ready for work. Have a good one girls!

Lisa

Pacergal29
11-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Wow aren't we a chatty bunch this morning? This time change stinks! I do not like driving home from work in the dark!

Cottage I was pondering what to make for dinner tonight and now I have a hankering for squash! Now what to make with it!

Ruth Hope you get all your niggles accomplished today! Best wishes and prayers go out to Harry & you.

Kara Your other post has got me thinking about ways to change my holiday cooking. Problem being holiday meals are at the in-laws and they are my "diet busters"! Despite being borderline diabetic and seeing my weight loss they think this WOE is hogwash and enjoy telling me as much!

KO Kick away and take names while you are at it!

Cat I looooove pumkin bread, cant wait for the post!

dcapulet I adore paula deen but man does that woman like her butter!

Kim I feel for you on the boss issue. I hate watching them make obvious mistakes! Mine will usually say when it blows up in his face "why did you let me do that?" Hmmmmmm cause you don't ever listen maybe?

Me Not alot happening in my world. It's cold! I did find a fantastic deal on a desk this weekend that I desperatly needed at home! After checking all the discount stores and seeing the cheap/expensive junk they carry (if you get my drift) I took a chance at Big Lots. Didn't see much I liked but noticed a box sitting all by its lonesome. Asked the guy if it was set up anywhere and he said no it was the only one the got in. Looked fairly decent and was priced at $80. Turns out to be great quality and was original retail of $300ish! It looks lovely and I smile everytime I look at it knowing what a deal I got!

Have a great day girls. Check back later!

GONNABE165
11-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Wow I'm in a bit late this morning busy, busy

Ruth hope Harry is doing well. You sure do have a busy day - I hope it's a great one.

Cottage a couch potato day - I could use one of those sorry you didn't get to be a couch potato maybe next time.

Kara lazy bum days are good to have Enjoy!.

KO Hi:wave: I second what Kara said

Cat yes please share the recipe

Dcapulet I get that same feeling sometimes but mines usually due to low blood sugar

Kim keep your head up & you will be just fine. Have a great day!

Wezzle Hi :wave: Have a great day!

Pacer congrats on the desk find you just gotta love a bargain

As for me still without the kitchen as the plumber can't fix it til Thursday and now they are talking about taking up the floor too. Be back later very busy today.

Schmoodle
11-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Wow, look at all these posts!
Ruth, :hug:. It must be difficult to have to make those plans.
cottage, funny because we're not that far apart and it is bright and sunny here now, but cold. Hopefully the sun is coming your way! I have never cooked a butternut squash, but I have one in the fridge right now. I bought it for some recipe and now can't find the recipe. Maybe I'll make soup too. Why don't you post your pumpkin bread recipe too, then we can try both!
Kara, couch potato days are the best. My dentist appointment did go well, thanks, just a cleaning. I'm lucky to have great teeth (so far).
KO, sorry about your work woes. The most dedicated professionals I know are really good about taking their vacations and time off. The best companies realize that good employees need their down time or they'll burn out. Hope you don't have any regrets about taking your trip.
Cat, please don't forget to post your recipe. It sounds sooo good!
dcapulet, you're doing PH1 right? I've heard about the headaches, though I didn't have any. Careful of those Paula Deen recipes! How many sticks of butter does it take?
Morning Kim, hope your day gets less gloomy
Pacer, nothing makes me smile like a great deal on something I know I'll use for a long time! Sorry you don't have support from your in-laws, but you know what's best for you.
Hi Weezle! Call me and i'll make my fax machine go off in your ear like I did to my customer this morning. That'll wake you up!
GonnaBe, yuck that sounds like a messy repair! Hope it goes quickly!

My day holds the usual work, DD piano lessons, bookmobile, laundry, vacuuming, the excitement never ends here! Have a good one chicks!

dcapulet
11-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Ruth, best thoughts to you and Harry!

DC, did you eat something with milk before you exercised? Or maybe did you eat too soon after exercising? I find I have to give my belly a little rest period after I exercise before I eat or else my digestive tract revolts on me! Hope you figure out what the culprit was!

Kara

I exercised in the morning, and this happened at night. I'm confused about what happened!

dcapulet
11-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Yes ladies, I am very familiar with Paula and her love of butter! Sometimes I can't believe that she's still alive and kicking, with all the stuff she eats! For most recipies, i use applesauce instead of butter, and cut back on the sugar, too. I want to enjoy food without being upset later about the calories!

Barb0522
11-06-2007, 11:52 AM
I did manage to make it to the gym last night. It felt great to exercise.

Tonight is the District Committee Meeting so I won't have time to exercise. Actually I won't get to exercise until Friday again since I have Pack committee mtg on Wed and District Roundtable on Thursday.

charolastra00
11-06-2007, 11:55 AM
It's a rainy Tuesday here! I wish some of this rain would go down South! I might not have water when I go home for winter break and definitely won't this summer! :\ So a kind of grumpy day. I got let go of work an hour early which means I only work 3 hours this week. I love my job but there just is never enough work for me to do so I don't get the hours that I need.

But Andrea Bocceli is on the View which makes me whole day better. :P

Kim_Star060404
11-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Well, the day did turn out to be a little better than I thought. :) Boss-man is out sick, so I couldn't leave the office for inspections. So, it's just a nice day inside doing paperwork. Also, DH called and reserved our cabin for Ruidoso next March and it all went well. Our friends stayed in the exact same cabin for their honeymoon last April and they said it was wonderful. Although, it did end up snowing the whole time they were there.

It looks like I'll be finishing up my inspections on Thursday as I have a meeting with my adviser at the university tomorrow. I really hope it goes well!

dcap: I hope you figure out the cause of the mysterious migraine and stomach ache. Have you been sleeping enough? I get killer migraines if I have too many days in a row without adequate sleep.

Kara: I may just have to do that. Of course, I'll need to wait until after I meet with the adviser tomorrow. I'm afraid that she might tell me it will take 10 years to graduate only taking night/weekend/internet courses!

Lisa: Hope you get some sleep, honey! How is it going with the micro-manager?

Pacer: Thanks for understanding. It really drives me crazy! Sounds like a really great deal on that desk. Sometimes it really sucks being so remote ~ the cheap stuff is, well, cheap and the rest of it is super expensive. No happy medium here!

GonnaBe: Sorry to hear about the kitchen. Are they going to be able to replace the floor when they're done or will you have to do it?

Schmoodle: :wave: I hope your busy day is fun as well!

Barb: WTG getting to the gym! Hope you're not too busy on Saturday and can pick it back up!

femmecreole
11-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Here's the pumpkin bread recipe I "adapted". Enjoy..sparingly (I gave one loaf away and sent a lot off with my husband this morning so I wouldn't go nuts!)

1 1/3 cups of whole wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
2 cups granulated splenda
5 eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
2/3 cup water
1 15 ounce can of pumpkin
Pecans or almonds or walnuts

Cream the eggs and splenda. Add the rest of the "wet" ingrediants (including pumpkin) and mix till well blended.

Sift the dry ingredients. Add 1/3 of the dry ingrediants to the mixing bowl at a time, then add the next 1/3 until well incorporated and then the last 1/3. Add pecans, almonds or walnuts to the mixture to taste.
Divide into 2 loaf pans that have been sprayed with pam and bake at 350 degrees.

The original recipe called for an hour of baking time. With my oven it took about 45 minutes, so check often. The calories for the original recipe was 198 a slice...that was with SUGAR and with regular flour, so I'm sure with the sugar being replaced by splenda it would be a lot less.

Not something for every day, but with the holidays coming up it's a pretty good alternative.

GONNABE165
11-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Good afternoon! I have already done my lunch time workout. I made it a bit longer as I have bowling tonight.

Dcapulet how is to use applesauce instead of butter - instead of 2tbsp butter just use 2 tbsp applesauce?

Barb yes exercise has a way of making you feel awesome

Allie I saw that as I watched the view while I did my workout

Kim glad your day is better than expected. As far as my floors we won't know to much until they come thursday to start the work

Cat thank you for the recipe - sounds awesome

little chick
11-06-2007, 01:27 PM
just a quickie for me this afternoon. I can't adjust to the time change either and to top it off TOM is just a day or so away.... grrrr making me so tired I can't keep awake....
Ruth- I must say my eyes bugged right out of my head. When I read about Harry... I guess I was not the only one. Take care of yourself. And my prayers are with your DHarry.

Well gotta to dash I the school kids are here and the day gets crazy. Take care chicks.

Ruthxxx
11-06-2007, 01:48 PM
My busy morning went well - I even made it to the gym. The funeral arrangements weren't difficult at all - and I've already paid for them! I feel much better getting that major niggle off the list.

Hershey and I are going to quilt for a while this afternoon and then get into "uniform" for pet therapy at the nursing home. Tonight I'll firm up my menu and cooking schedule for my Saturday night dinner party (for Lucy's caregivers) and make a comprehensive shopping list for town. Then I'm getting into my robe and watching "The Tudors".

weezle
11-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Oy. Today was one of those days I should've stayed in bed. It's a little better now, but here's what happened:

Got to work knowing that my shift leader was going to do a payout last night for the Weinstein title I had to go get this morning before we opened. Saw a note from him saying "Lisa, only Store Directors can do payouts now. Took the money out and set it aside for you in the safe." So he took the money out without telling the computer he was doing it (and without calling me to ask what he should do with any of this) so he closed $302.47 short last night. :faint:

So I called my micromanager of a boss, left a message that I was having a stroke and to call me, and worked on some stuff as long as I could. Finally I decided that I couldn't wait any longer to go to the bank, and if he didn't want me to run the deposit, then he could've called me back.

Got in the car, put the key in, turned the key and at the halfway point it went *dingdingdingding* telling me to put my lapbelt on. I turned it all the way, and nothing. Tried again, and this time, there was no *dingdingdingding* or anything. No lights came on when I opened the door. NOTHING.

Here's the thing. Dad lectured me ALL DAY Sunday about how I have to get a new car before winter. She's an ol' beater but she's been a good car, and I wanted to save through the winter and get a nice car in the spring. I kept saying that she's gotten me through 7 winters and got through 9 before that, so one more won't kill her. He said "Daddy's not going to be happy coming out to start your car for you all winter" so I said "First time you need to come start my car for me, I'll get a new car!"

Sigh. I didn't know it was going to happen 2 days later when I said that. Fortunately, Daddy came out and got my car started for me, but I'm hoping she makes it long enough for me to get a car next week.

So my dilemma is this: it might be time to move on and get a new job. I used to love my job, I loved my boss, I loved the policies, I loved the freedom, and I didn't need the money I deserved so it was ok. Now, I don't like my boss, the policies are changing for the bad, they're taking away my freedom and are going to be making my schedule for me with no room for change, and I need the money I deserve.

I can't afford to have a car payment and my insurance go up without living paycheck to paycheck. Without either of those, I'm really comfortable and I can save plenty every month. Unfortunately, both of those are going to happen very soon.

I have a job interview Thursday that I scheduled "for practice" last week. Sounds like pay is a lot better and hours are definitely better, just from talking to the recruiter on the phone. I won't take a job just because I need the money or anything, but I'm going to feel this out and see what kind of vibe I get. Pray for me girls. I will be sad to leave where I'm at because I've loved it for so long, but things are changing and I'm not going to love it that way again.

BOY can I talk! Geez. Hope you girls are having a better day than I am. Have a good one girlies!

Lisa

Kim_Star060404
11-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Lisa: My prayers are with you! :hug:

Ruth: Congrats on getting your big niggle out of the way. I'm sure it is a big comfort to you to have it taken care of. Hope you and Hershey enjoy your quilting!

Cat: Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to have to try it soon.

LC: :wave:

weezle
11-06-2007, 03:39 PM
To top things off, my store tried to burn itself down. I'm posting the picture of the light bulb that was stinking up my store and smoking in the ceiling. The nice firemen removed it for me. Peeewwwwww.

GONNABE165
11-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Hi:wave: LC hope your having a great day!

Ruth hope you have a relaxing evening

Weezle wow! thats some kind of day. Your in my thoughts & prayers - let us know about the interview

Hope everyone is having a great OP day!!!