PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 224/189/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Question about metformin and depression

Hi everyone. I am new to PCOS, am just learning about it – although I figure I have had it most of my life. Sorry if TMI, but I have a question and some background may help.

I have never ever had a regular period. When I was 18 I asked my family physician, and he told me it was just normal for me, without running any tests or anything. He told me I am not as fertile as other women, and may need assistance when it came to trying for children. I accepted that for years.

Even though I didn’t have a regular period, I still had one, so when I got involved in longer term relationships, I went on birth control. Tried that three times, twice the pill, the last time deprovera. I get extremely depressed (constant wishes for death). I decided I just can’t do birth control.

I went to the doctor about stomach pains, and mentioned I have been having such difficulty losing weight, despite following a good diet and exercise. Since it was a new doctor, I explained my history to him…including the irregular periods. He sent a test away for thyroid, but came back normal. He told me before he sent the thyroid test out that he thought I had PCOS as I have a lot of the symptoms, but was checking thyroid first just in case.

He has now prescribed me metformin. I am on a really low dose I think, 500 mg. a day, but have found myself back into the depression I used to be in when on birth control. I have been on metformin for about three weeks, and in this mental state for about a week. Do you think it could be the metformin? Have any of you been through anything similar, and if so, what did you do?

I don’t want to quit the metformin because I am finally losing weight after a four month plateau….if it is the metformin, will it (this feeling) pass?
Pastrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:51 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

I suffer from severe depression and am Bipolar II - BUT I did NOT notice any change in that when starting Metformin about 7 years ago. BTW - your family physician you saw at 18 sounds like a total idiot. Try to stick with it - especially if it IS helping with the weight. Depression is not considered a "regular" side effect - such as stomach upset etc - but everyone is different. Could it be that you are down about being ON a med - or about the possible PCOS diagnosis itself ????
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:25 PM   #3  

hmmm... I don't know. Being on medication doesn't bother me, and the PCOS diagnosis was a bit of a relief in the sense that I have years wondering what is wrong with me and not knowing what I faced. At least now I can research into it and understand my body a bit better.

I also started a new ulcer medication, so will have to check side effects for it yet. I started both at the same time...

Re doc - I wish now I had been more proactive and sought a second opinion back then...
Old 10-30-2007, 10:58 PM   #4  

Also - and I don't expect you to respond to this as it is very private - but PCOS CAN cause fertility issues. If you want to conceive or may want to conceive at some point in the future it is very important you have a doctor (endocrinologist) check you out and advise you on the PCOS. There ARE things you can do and options. There are also many long term effects possible from PCOS such as Insulin Resistance, Diabetes, Heart issues etc - so it is imperitive that you treat it completely.

I hope you figure out the depression (also a possible effect/complication of the PCOS) and get proper and complete treatment. You MAY want to check out soulcysters - it is an awesome website TOTALLy devoted to PCOS. The board here is great but you'd be amazed at the wealth of info there.

Good luck !!
Old 10-31-2007, 12:14 PM   #5  

Thanks, I will check it out! Fertility issue is huge for me. It is hard, because I see so many women get pregnant on birth control (even deprovera), having kids as early teens, etc…and here I am near 28 years old, and for the past 3 ½ years my fiancé and I have been trying to no avail. I will ask for a referral to an endocrinologist and ask that I be thoroughly assessed. I am scared of losing any chances to conceive.

If the depression doesn’t subside soon, I am going to have to seek help for it too. It isn’t fair to my family and friends…it is hard for them because they just don’t understand, and in the end makes my life harder as well! I hate being told to just snap out of it, like I can turn it on and off like a light switch. If I had that kind of power, I would be cheery all the time, I would never be blue.

I had read here about insulin resistance and diabetes. I am curious, does PCOS tend to run in families with strong history of diabetes? Maybe the answer is already on soulcysters…but one of my main reasons for wanting to lose weight is my dad’s family has a strong history of diabetes. They start out as type II. They get diagnosed in their 40’s generally. My dad is now insulin dependant (he was actually diagnosed as diabetic in his mid to late 30’s) and has glaucoma. He is now 50. I am just wondering because my mom and my sister are not like me at all…perhaps PCOS isn’t a family thing at all, I don’t know.

Sorry, I am wasting your time here…I will do some research and see if I can get some answers. Really I guess the “why me” isn’t as important as the “what to do now” right?
Old 10-31-2007, 10:33 PM   #6  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

PATSEY ~ I read your question late last night and didn't get to answer you then, but could your depression be hormone related? I know whenever I have my TOM and now that I am in Pera-MOP (49 y/o), I have small bouts of sadness (which is what depression is). Mine occurs just before and during my TOM and since going into MOP as well (I get very weepy).

Becuz of my fertility & menses problems (plus sugar & weight +), my doctor also put me on METFORMIN. I was having terrible hot flashes and other symptoms, which have gotten better since. I have to admit to you that I have had these bouts of sadness, but it never occurred to me until now that METFORMIN could be related to it, unless you look at the hormone side of it.

METFORMIN is a hormone, according to my research ~ it is prescribed to balance out your menses or blood sugar, and help you lose weight. Some claim that it can also lower your blood pressure and cholesterol levels. These are the exact reasons why my doctor prescribed it to me.

Lastly PATSEY, ask your doctor why he prescribed the METFORMIN to you? Was it to help you lose weight and help balance your menses at the same time? Both of these can help the fertility issue and help you feel better.

I hope you can find out what you need to know, but I would definately get some help with the depression as soon as you can. It is treatable and you don't want to suffer needlessly; and ask your doctor if the METFORMIN can be triggering that again ... ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-31-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:13 PM   #7  

Metformin is not a hormone. Metformin acts by increasing the sensitivity of liver, muscle, fat, and other tissues to the uptake and effects of insulin. These actions lower the level of sugar in the blood. It can also help cholesterol. Insulin is a hormone. By lowering your blood sugar it can help you lose weight - however not everyone has that happen. You still need to work at it with a better diet and exercise. PCOS has complications that can hinder fertility - weight being only one. PCOS can cause a variety of hormone related issues. Many woman have elevated testosterone and the absence of menses indicates lack of ovulation. Getting your weight under control can certainly help - but you MAY need to do other things.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:03 AM   #8  

Okay, so I went to the doctor and he has stopped the Metformin. At first he doubted that was the problem, but after asking me a few questions said that we should stop it as it could very well be the problem. In a few weeks I go back for a follow up to see how I am doing at that time.

He said it could be the metformin, not because metformin is a hormone - but because it does affect some hormone levels when it does its thing. I know I am sensitive to some hormones, but didn't realize I was that sensitive.

If I am that sensitive to hormones how will I ever take meds to help me get pregnant, and then when I am pregnant, how will I ever cope? I want children so badly...the doctor told me there are other ways, not to worry - god I hope so!!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:48 PM   #9  

Okay, a week I have been off metformin and nothing has changed so it isn't the metformin. I guess I was looking for something to blame for feeling this way.

I go back to the doctor on November 29th, so hopefully he can give me some suggestions of how to get past this...
Old 11-15-2007, 07:25 PM   #10  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

PATSEY ~ I'm glad you have been able to clear some things up; and now you know, you and you doctor can look for an appropriate solution for the depression and other issues. I'm sure you will find the solutions you need; just keep pressing on ... ROSEBUD
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote