General chatter - Favorite Board Game

View Full Version : Favorite Board Game

EZMONEY
10-24-2007, 08:25 PM
OK ~ this is an easy thread ~ With fire evacuees here the kids are looking through all the board games we have trying to decide which ones to play ~ SO ~ I ask you what is your favorite board game?

Mine, growing up was Monopoly....now I think it is Loaded Questions or Catch Phrase. How about you?

mandalinn82
10-24-2007, 08:26 PM
SCATTERGORIES. Scene It is nice too, if you are movie buffs.

I hate Monopoly. It reveals such a scary, mean, cutthroat side of people. I prefer not to see that side of my friends and family, ever.

Hate, hate, hate it.

ennay
10-24-2007, 08:32 PM
I liked Monopoly as a kid, Life, Clue heck I just like games

I like Cranium now and a lot of the CheapA$$ games (yes that is a brand name)- they are really funny.

Mostly I just play cards...

GatorgalstuckinGA
10-24-2007, 08:37 PM
its a game called pass the pigs. Two plastic pigs that you "roll" and they have dots on different sides...depending on how they land...that's the points you get. you play to a set number (ie 100) and the first person there wins. Weird silly corny game that's great as a kid...and even as a big kid that's a bit drunk LOL

drake3272004
10-24-2007, 09:21 PM
With three kids, we have just about every game out there! It's insane how many we have, they take up most of a wall in the kitchen:dizzy:
Scrabble would be one of my favorites:D

Clydegirl
10-24-2007, 09:21 PM
My favourite 2 are Trivial Pursuit and Balderdash.

I get very competitive at Trivial Pursuit.

Balderdash is hysterical especially when you have a bunch of people.

Shy Moment
10-24-2007, 09:29 PM
We have tons and tons of games. Are kind of home body's. We play shoots and ladders a lot. Go head, laugh. We found a snakes and ladders on the net we play a lot too. I love to see him go down the snake lol.

CountingDown
10-24-2007, 10:14 PM
Boggle is a favorite. Scrabble and Upwords are two more. Can you tell that I like word games? I used to love Monopoly, but no one in the family will play with me any more. :(

melekalikimaka
10-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Chutes'n'Ladders when I was a kid...

Scrabble now, or just plain LEGO (bored games)!

Spinymouse
10-24-2007, 11:12 PM
Balderdash and Pictionary. Both because the fun comes not so much from trying to win but from laughing so hard you can hardly breathe or see straight.

murphmitch
10-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Scrabble, Monopoly, Scattergories, Trivial Pursuit, Clue, love them all.

Also love playing UNO.

butterflykiss
10-24-2007, 11:40 PM
Mine are Monopoly, Sorry, Trouble, Pictionary , and Scrabble

jules1216
10-25-2007, 10:15 AM
My daughter didn't like tv--so we played ALOT of board games. I have to say my faves were Clue & Life.

NightengaleShane
10-25-2007, 10:24 AM
I love Monopoly!

Life was fun, and so was Sorry.

I haven't played any board games in a long, long time, but I loved them so much as a kid. I'm missing them now.

aymster
10-25-2007, 10:39 AM
I love board games!!

Oh, I like Monopoly, Pictionary, Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble, Upwords, Yatzee, Clue, Chinese Checkers and on those cold, snowy days growing up in Buffalo area: Uno (not a board game, but it was an "I'm bored" game that turned into 4 hour tournament...) I still love to play Uno!!

Ah, those were the days!! :D ;)

NightengaleShane
10-25-2007, 10:46 AM
UNO!!! How could I POSSIBLY forget that one? I LOVE(D) UNO!

alinnell
10-25-2007, 12:06 PM
I love Scrabble.

We play UNO Attack! (Shane--this is so much more fun than regular UNO--especially with 4 or more players.)

I also like Tripoly, Trivial Pursuit and Sequence.

We actually play cards a lot more than we play board games. Gin, Rummy, and some Asian poker games that DD has learned from her Filipino friends at school.

Oh, and my cousins in OC taught us a really fun game you play with Dominoes--they call it Chicken Feet.

shananigans
10-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Not exactly board games, but we like to play the card games Apples to Apples and Lunch Money, Taboo, also Mexican Train Dominoes

NightengaleShane
10-25-2007, 12:11 PM
I love card games.

I also love drinking games, which often involve cards, but I'm supposing those don't count :dizzy:

Ali, how do you play Uno ATTACK?

mandalinn82
10-25-2007, 12:38 PM
All you Monopoly lovers scare me. I am Monopoly-phobic.

alinnell
10-25-2007, 01:00 PM
All you Monopoly lovers scare me. I am Monopoly-phobic.

I used to like Monopoly, but it takes FOREVER to play! DD plays it online and has fun--mainly because it's easier to be greedy and mean when you don't really know your opponents! She used to shoot "pool" online--I never really understood that one. Wouldn't it be more fun to shoot pool on our real pool table (with friends)?

losinitin07
10-25-2007, 01:01 PM
When I was kid and living in California I loved Candy Land when we moved back to Maine It was Mr. Potato Head and Operation and Monopoly. Now I do not play board games I play them now on POGO on line too lazy I suppose to drag the games out.LOL :carrot:

NightengaleShane
10-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Haha, Ali, I used to shoot "pool" online on yahoo. It's something to do when you're really bored, though pool is much more fun on a real pool table with friends... even though I SUCK at it and am actually much better at the online version. ;)

I loved Mr. Potato Head as a kid, but I wouldn't call him a board game. He was fun, though. I also had Mrs. Potato Head.

Does anyone remember a game called Taboo? I liked that game, too.

alinnell
10-25-2007, 01:04 PM
I love card games.

I also love drinking games, which often involve cards, but I'm supposing those don't count :dizzy:

Ali, how do you play Uno ATTACK?

You have to buy the Attack thing. It's really more fun when drinking! We played it the first time while on vacation in the mountains and we were basically snowed in. 4 adults, 4 kids, 5 dogs and lots of beer! We'd all sit around with this UNO machine that would at times deliver 1 or 2 cards when you needed to draw and other times it would SPEW cards at you! Here's a photo of the game machine:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bd/Unoattack.jpg/180px-Unoattack.jpg

babenwaiting
10-25-2007, 01:08 PM
New one ... "Bananagrams." If you like Scrabble, you should like this one ... it's a killer until you get used to it! Will include a link to it on Amazon, rather than try to describe it.

http://www.amazon.com/Bananagrams-BANANAGRAMS-by/dp/B000OH6JYU

NightengaleShane
10-25-2007, 01:10 PM
Hee, I figured it probably was more fun when drunk. Then again, what game ISN'T?! :D

The machine looks loads of fun. I should buy one and use it the next time I have a drinkin' get together.

losinitin07
10-25-2007, 01:14 PM
You are right Mr. Potato Head is not a board game.:dizzy: He was a lot of fun though lol

GatorgalstuckinGA
10-25-2007, 01:44 PM
i forgot..my friend taught me cribbage a few years ago and even bought me a cribbage board. I really like that game. We use to go to the bars and play while waiting for the dance music to start. hmmmm once again...some how my favorite games yet again revolve around drinking LMAO

mandalinn82
10-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Being the ultimate nerd, my favorite game to play while drinking is Scrabble.

phantastica
10-25-2007, 01:58 PM
I like Scrabble the best, but also enjoy Scattergories and Pictionary. I'm a math geek so I also play Krypto with all age levels (everybody can benefit from this game). It's a card game and there's even an online version.

Some family favorites include Yahtzee, Uno, and Mancala.

We play a special, invented game of Uno ... we have two decks of cards, so we pull out all the Draw 4 cards and the Wild cards and add them to the other deck, and play with the deck that has the extras in it. Make the game go by faster, and it's really fun!!

EZMONEY
10-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Playing Scrabble around here FOR ME stinks....no one beats my wife and she plays by ALL the rules....no fun for me...I love to make up words.....oh well.

jules1216
10-25-2007, 02:59 PM
I forgot about UNO....and chinese checkers!!

almostheaven
10-25-2007, 03:05 PM
I've never been big on board games. I played as a kid and like Monopoly OK, but it was a bit long. Yahtzee and Scrabble were good and didn't take so long to play. Mostly we played card games like Uno or Rook though. Still play Rook at my grandpa's about once a month.

For the poster who likes Pass the Pigs: http://www.censusonline.net/games/pigs/PassThePigs.html

That's fun too. Kinda like Yahtzee. ;)

melekalikimaka
10-25-2007, 03:33 PM
As far as Scrabble, I love to play, but almost hate playing it w/my hubby who isn't the world's best speller (probably like Gary who likes to make up words). I'd rather play w/my 8 year old who likes to make only 2-4 letter words and jam up the board. :lol:

Does anyone remember Pokeno? It was played sort of like bingo but w/a Poker twist. You used Pokeno cards and plastic markers. I remember playing it at family parties in the 70's.

EZMONEY
10-25-2007, 04:21 PM
ALMOSTHEAVEN My folks used to play Rook once a month with friends, years ago.

Played a lot of Miles Bourne and cribbage growing up and Yahtzee...and Bowling Yahtzee