Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 216/184/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default Knee Problems

I have a question about my knees and I am hoping someone here can help. I have terribly weak knees. I am sure that carrying around extra weight for years has done some irreparable damage to them to some degree. Up until now I have been pretty much limiting myself to walking for exercise and pilates (both low or no impact). I recently purchase some new work out videos. They are not high impact, but do cause some impact. My knees do hurt when I do them, but not so badly that I can't work through it. Ok, here's my question(s). If I continue to do them will it strengthen my knees and improve them or cause more damage? Should I continue and see if it gets better or stop? Does anybody know or have any experience you could share?

Thanks!!
godsgirltmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:59 AM   #2  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I think this might be a good reason to "check with your doctor" before exercizing.
It may be something as simple as wearing a brace durring, to a real problem you need to have checked out.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:02 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 8.5"

I've got problem knees too and I was told to stop when I'm hurting. I can't say I always do, but I should.

I've had to learn very proper form when exercising. Keep your weight on your heels, never let the knee go over the toe area and be very careful of not twisting the knee area. It sounds hard, but I've found that once you get used to proper form, it starts to become habit. I'm also looking right now at getting a stationary bike which is easy on the knees and can help those muscles too.

You should probably talk to a doctor first to make sure you're not going to further the damage though and maybe they could reccommend some exercises to help you build up those muscles that help support your knee.
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:56 PM   #4  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

Unfortunately, I can relate! I don't have anything new to say, just that I feel your pain!

L144S--I LOVE the quote about the dog!!!!! I have one fat dog and one skinny dog.
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 232/205/150

Height: 5'3''

You should see your doctor! I had the same problem, and I just had to have knee surgery at the end of August because I have Plica Syndrome - which I would never have known unless I had gone to the doctor because of the knee pain!
uechick08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #6  
Simply Filling Technique

I agree with the other person who mentioned about checking with a doctor. I have advanced arthritis including in my knees. For over a decade, I did almost 15 miles a week power walking and at a heavy weight. I am sure that contributed to the deterioration of both of my knees. In 2003, I saw an orthopaedic surgeon who told me I would need a total knee replacement on my right knee. My left one is not far behind.

Forget that old adage from the 1980s, "no pain no gain". If it hurts, then you are hurting something. It is better to find out first what is hurting and what impact those videos will have on your knees in the future. I think a doctor will be able to access your risks. I do videos and walking on my treadmill but I limit how much and I "modify" how I do them. I was shown how to do this by a trained professional.

See a doctor first, ask lots of questions and follow their advice.

Good luck and keep up the good work

Last edited by pamatga; 10-23-2007 at 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Definately have your knees checked, but in the meantime, try the video while wrapping the knee in an Ace bandage if you have one on hand. If you feel no pain during the video, you might want to invest in the knee supports without holes in the knees. The ones I have slip over the foot and pull up over the knee like a solid stretchy band.

I had problems with mine too and took to wearing an Ace bandage first, but I like to jog and it kept falling down, so I got a pair of these and have had no problems with my knees. They actually grew much stronger as I lost weight.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:47 PM   #8  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Agreed, check with your doctor. Also, don't be legalistic with the moves in the video. You can be creative and modify some of the sequences to make them low or no impact. I will not hop, dance jack, or do any moves that require both feet to be off the ground at the same time. I simply substitute one of my favorite similar moves and dance on!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:14 AM   #9  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

My personal trainer has stressed to me that if my knees are hurting when I exercise, I should stop what I am doing.

Also, I agree with everyone else about seeing your doctor. The solution could be as simple as getting a small orthotic to wear inside your shoes (my SO has bowed legs and has swears by his orthotics). If you just keep working through the pain, it's likely to get worse until you can't work through it anymore. And, whatever the cause, it's going to be easier to fix now than if you wait until you can't take the pain anymore.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:09 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 153.5/107.5/105

Height: 5'0"

For ME, I found that strengthening the muscles around my knees and in my thighs has helped my knee pain go away....until I push too hard again that is. For example, the first time I tried to run 3 miles my knee was in PAIN. That was a few months ago...now I do at least that much every time I run, BUT I've been strengthening my legs a lot since then. I still get pain if I push too much though. For example, yesterday I ran over 8.5kms which I can easily do ONCE a week now...however when I did it yesterday it was the second time this week to run that far and my knee is paying for it today...which I sort of figured would happen if I went that far twice in one week, so it was my own stupidity. I couldn't even do squats when I got home yesterday my knee was so bad and I've been wearing my brace ever since. Sigh.

Having said that, I went to the doctor and discussed my knee pain issue though (I have a touch of arthritis) before keeping up with the exercising. He told me to work on strenghtening my thighs and the muscles around my knees and if they start to hurt cut back for a bit until they are stronger. He also advised against the knee brace b/c he said they can mask pain and an underlying problem so that you think you're ok and end up doing more damage. I still use the brace but not when I'm running or anything, b/c I want to know when I feel the pain so I can stop. Now I only wear it after I'm done if I do happen to feel the pain b/c it does help relieve it a bit.

I'd see the doctor and then work on strengthening your leg muscles if you get the ok from him.
goinforthegold is offline   Reply With Quote