Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-21-2007, 09:00 PM   #1  
Losin' it forever!

Default Normal, stupid or both??

So, I'm feeling a little frustrated with myself. I have started my first of two three months structured diet programs with Weight Watchers. I have way not been following the program.

On one hand, I feel like planning on WLS has given me a green light to eat all the things I love and what got me here in the first place. Another part of me is mourning what will eventually be a loss of many of my favorite foods, so I'm enjoying them now.

However, I know this is not the way to approach this and I need to get it turned around. I know that the more healthy I am going into surgery, the better my recovery will be and I'm sure that means working on eating better now.

Is any of this normal??
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

It's totally normal but you're right you need to catch this early. First of all, you will still be able to enjoy your favorite foods (or you'll have new favorites) post-op. Second, every pound lost is one step closer to a healthy you.

In the last few weeks before my surgery, I decided to have one last "everything I love to eat day (or week)". I planned on it, it was just before the start of my liquid diet and I didn't consider it cheating - more of a goodbye to bad foods/habits. First I thought of junk/fast food which was surely going to be off-limits both for being bad for me and not something my new stomach would tolerate. I pictured the Big Mac with the super-size fries and the milkshake AND the dessert and so on. I hadn't had it for awhile as I'd been trying to diet and no way would I order the shake, etc. even if I did get the Big Mac. I thought of how it would taste and how many calories it was and decided it wasn't worth it - honestly a life with no more Big Macs didn't seem so bad. Then I started thinking about favorite restaurants, getting a sitter and having a really great dinner out with DH before the liquid diet. I couldn't come up with any meal I wanted more than I wanted to stay on track (I'd already been doing part of the pre-op diet) and we could still go out to a nice restaurant post-op - it wasn't like I was never going to be able to eat good food again.

So, my advice is take a deep breath and keep your eyes on the prize.

Good Luck!
kfs151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hey LG
If you're doing points, You can have some of your favorites just moderately. The night before i did liquids I went to a really nice dinner with DH. Don't look at it as a loss! make your peace with the food and look at it as a dawning of a new you!

Kierie
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:07 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

When I decided to have surgery (and acutally booked a surgery date with my doc) thats when all heck broke loose. My nerves were sooo shot that I ate everything and anything in sight......I was a wreck. I didn't have to lose weight before the surgery (which I know some people do)....the strange thing was, I didn't gain any weight during that time (I acutally lost 1 lb lolol), it was like my nerves were on overdrive and the food just burned up ???? dunno

Stupid you ask ......... No not in my opinion. Normal.... yes.

Hang in there.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:21 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Kim,

I assume it happens for WLS patients as well but when you start changing your diet, your favorites change. I can't tell you how much I loved cookies n cream ice cream one time but the last time I had it, I didn't like it. Same for a lot of other items that I used to eat when I weighed 350-360.

They tend not to taste as good once you start changing up your diet and get used to your new foods. I recently switched to a vegan diet which is something I thought I could never do due to my love of cheese and meat but I have to say I am loving my new diet.

You can mourn your favorites but know that new favorites await you and even healthier versions of your old favorites await you
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:47 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

ok kim. breathe. go ahead. yes. breathe. here's the deal [at least, from the way i see it!].

one of the BIGGEST reasons that docs require some sort of structured program like WW is to see if you can stick to something. soooo, if they see that you're not following WW, they're going to wonder if you can stick to the requirements of WLS. and if you REALLY want WLS, you're gonna have to knuckle down to the WW way of life.

yes, it's temporary, but think about it as a GIFT. it's a chance to start re-learning everything you'll need. it's a time to start developing new coping skills, new recipes, new ways of looking at food. read what the ladies posted above - they each have wisdom for you.

as for having to give up everything - well, that's not quite true. for a year or two, there is a whole pile of things you'll have to do without, if you want to make the most of the WLS process. BUT YOU'LL GET THEM BACK!!!! you might not care at that point, but that's OK. you'll have the choice again.

soooo, darlin. in answer to your original question, it's NORMAL, and it's an understandable reaction, but it might backfire!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote