Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #1  
mathlab

S/C/G: 224/163/145

Height: 5'3"

Question How do you define walking vs jogging?

Instead of doing my usual 4 mph walk on the treadmill, I was able to bump it up to 4.8 mph - and was definitely moving in a "jogging" mode (i.e., not having one foot on the ground at all times.).

According to the Weight Watchers descriptions, going between 3 - 5 mph on the treadmill is considered "brisk walking." However, this level of activity definitely puts my heart rate WAY up high (90% of max) with a high perceived level of exertion. Would it be fair of me to log this activity as jogging?
bethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:25 PM   #2  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

I started out at 4.8 for my "runs" and yes I counted them. It was totally different than like a 4.0 walk and my heart rate increased a lot. I would most definately call it jogging!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i would log it as jogging. its a slow jog, but i know when i first start off i use to do a slow job at about 4.8. i can't imagine walking at 4.8..i'd fall off the treadmill LOL
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:01 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

4.8 is definitely a jog for me too..
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

jogging is by definition when you are not having 1 foot on the ground. Pace is irrelevant to the definition. Log it as jogging

Race walkers can walk faster than I can run...its about the gait, not the speed.

FWIW
From a calorie burn perspective Runnersworld did a study and found that until about 11 minute miles running burns more calories than walking at identical paces (i.e. running at 4.8 burns more than walking at 4.8) faster than 11 minute miles the weird ergonomics of speedwalking take over. (who can walk an 11 minute mile?...I would fall over too!)
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:56 PM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I wouldn't trust any site that simply gives a number without regard to height, etc. I used to use the treadmill next to another girl who was nearly 6'. What she could WALK, I had to jog. My legs were much much shorter than hers and I didn't have nearly the span between my steps that she had. It's just like the height/weight charts that allow for frame sizes. You have to take into account the differences in people for the number to be of any value.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #7  
Mel

Looks like most of us that replied are about the same height-
For me, I can walk up to 4.4 mph. 4.5-4.6 are just uncomfortable and I can't really find a gait that works. 4.8 is a slow jog for me, but with the length of my legs, walking isn't really possible.

As ennay said, it's all about the gait, not the speed.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote