100 lb. Club - Smoothies

View Full Version : Smoothies

cara1980
10-04-2007, 03:37 PM
Anyone make their own smoothies? Now that my kitchen is unpacked I have been making smoothies and they have really been helping my sweet tooth.

Im interested in finding new recipes for smoothies that have been tried. I normally put some fat free yogurt and some type of fruit. Today I did 1c FF yogurt, 1/2 banana (I read that you can use a banana as a substitute the yogurt), 1/2 nectarine, 1/2 c crushed pineapple and juice squeezed from 1 orange and ice.

Last time I did the 1/2 nectarine, crushed pineapple and yogurt with ice.

I normally make about 12 ounces and drink 4oz at breakfast and sip on the other 8 throughout the day at work.

MomtoThree
10-04-2007, 03:49 PM
I LOVE to make smoothies. I use water as my base and fruit to sweeten it. I also put in 1 to 2 cups of frozen or fresh spinach so I get some vegetables in at breakfast. I use a heavy duty blender so everything get chopped up and there is only a smooth texture. Here are some of my favorites:

Chocolate Banana
2 frozen bananas
1 to 2 cups of water
2 cups of spinach
1TBS cocoa

Strawberry Banana
1 Cup water
1 frozen banana
1 to 2 cups strawberries
1 cup spinach

Grape Surprise
2 cups grapes
1 to 2 cups water
1 cup spinach
1/2 inch piece of ginger
nutmeg to taste

Apple Pie In a Glass
2 apples peeled
1 cup water
1/2 frozen banana or 1 peeled pear and ice
cinnamon and nutmeg to taste

Post some of your recipes. I am always on the lookout for new ideas.

Marseille
10-04-2007, 03:55 PM
I think I would WAY overdo it on the smoothies. Do you know calorie counts for any of those?

Cookie_Monster
10-04-2007, 04:20 PM
I have a smoothie every morning for breakfast...I can't live without it...and it only weighs in at around 315 calories!

1/2 cup of skim milk
5 ice cubes
approx. 1 cup frozen strawberries
1 over ripe medium banana
1 scoop protein powder

It really helps to fuel my morning workout.

phantastica
10-04-2007, 04:26 PM
SPINACH in a smoothie? I bet it makes it bright green! Do you taste it?

Other smoothie ingredients to consider: wheat germ, ground flaxseed, silken tofu, peanut butter

Here's a recipe for Chai Tea Smoothies:

2 cups milk
1/4 cup unsweetened instant tea
1/4 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Ice cubes
Fresh mint leaves, optional

In a blender, combine all ingredients but the ice and mint. Process until blended. Gradually add enough ice to make a thick consistency. Pour mixture into tall glasses and serve. Garnish with fresh mint, if desired.

Cookie_Monster
10-04-2007, 04:30 PM
I have to admit...spinach in a smoothie sounds rather unappealing? I wanna know too...do you taste it?

cara1980
10-04-2007, 04:34 PM
I was wondering the same thing about the spinach-do you taste it??

calories in a smoothie all depends on what type of base you use. If you use milk go with the Fat Free and depending on the brand theres about 100 calories per 8 oz. I use stoneyfield organic FF yogurt which has 110 calories. The calories in fruit are relatively low. I would estimate my smoothie has 150 calories in it, but I drink it all day long. It also helps me with my snacking b/c I stick it in the freezer at work until I finish my coffee, then its almost like eating ice cream.

cara1980
10-04-2007, 04:35 PM
I have a smoothie every morning for breakfast...I can't live without it...and it only weighs in at around 315 calories!

1/2 cup of skim milk
5 ice cubes
approx. 1 cup frozen strawberries
1 over ripe medium banana
1 scoop protein powder

It really helps to fuel my morning workout.

I was wondering how to add protein in the shake with out adding alot of fat like in PB. I'll have to check into protein powder. I know I dont want a whole lot of calories. I normally work out at lunchtime so that would make a good smoothie for me to sip on until I go work out.

Cookie_Monster
10-04-2007, 05:22 PM
I really like Pure Protein Whey Protein Powder in the Vanilla Creme flavor. It has a great taste which is sometimes hard to find in a protein powder. Per Serving (1 scoop) there is 23g protein, 110 cal, 1.5 g fat. Adding that to my smoothie really helps to keep me feeling full. I have it at 7:00 am and am not really hungry again until noontime.
I also find it very convenient because they stock it at Publix so I never have to make a special trip for it.

On a side note...if I'm eating a bowl of cereal for a meal...I always add a scoop of powder to it to get some protein in.

MomtoThree
10-05-2007, 08:10 AM
[QUOTE=phantastica;1881017]SPINACH in a smoothie? I bet it makes it bright green! Do you taste it?
QUOTE]

No, I do not taste the spinach. As long as there is a ratio of 60% fruit to 40% greens you usually can not taste the greens. I am trying to branch out and use different greens. If it is your first one with greens start with a small amount and continue to incrrease as you get use to them. Yes, the green color can turn you off. I put my in an opaque glass so I do not notice it as much.

GirlyGirlSebas
10-05-2007, 08:44 AM
I drink smoothies often as they are a quick and easy meal on busy days. I always use some type of fruit, but the ingredients vary depending on my mood or what I have on hand. Some of my favorite ingredients are silken tofu and Westsoy Unsweetened Vanilla soymilk. These two ingredients are great sources of extra protein.

cara1980
10-05-2007, 09:44 AM
I made one today with pineapple, motts kiwi applesauce, water and 1/2 banana. It didnt taste to hot so I added some yogurt but I got the wrong kind at the store and this is FF plain which tastes terrible!

junebug41
10-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Smoothie junky here! I switched it up recently:

Orange juice
blueberries
peaches
psyllium
ice

Mmmmm... smoothies...

Trazey34
10-05-2007, 10:06 AM
I'm more of an "eater" than a "drinker" heheh I like to chew my calories :D

ok let's be honest -- i'm a fruit junkie so i have to limit myself to the fruits I don't binge on, so i stick to pears mostly :( LOL If i started having strawberries and pineapple and watermelon.......glug glug glug i'd drink 10 a day!

cara1980
10-05-2007, 10:34 AM
whats psyllium?

Shy Moment
10-05-2007, 10:41 AM
My kids love the things. They have them every night as a snack. Orange, Banana, Strawberry. I happen to like to mix all three of them together. Ok, I have no idea how to make them without this mix I found lol. They are low in fat and calories but high in really taste good lol. If nothing else we get the milk and fruit that is needed for a good diet right there in that smoothie.

junebug41
10-05-2007, 12:49 PM
whats psyllium?

A fiber powder, much like metamucil (in fact, I think metamucil contains psyllium). I get it at the health food store.

Shy Moment
10-05-2007, 01:27 PM
If anyone has one they would like to share. I would like a smoothie recipe that uses bananas or strawberry's or both and yogurt.

gina1221
10-05-2007, 03:05 PM
This is my favorite smoothie:

Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana

1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
1 tablespoon peanut butter (I use creamy)
1 small-medium frozen banana
1 cup skim milk (you can use water but I prefer milk)

Shy Moment
10-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Gina
Where does one buy chocolate whey protein powder. I bet my kids would love that. I know they like the chocolate banana smoothie mix I buy.

The smoothie mixes I am getting right now have

100 calories 16oz serving
0 fat
0 cholesterol
10 sodium
13 carbohydrates

Of course those amounts are before milk and what ever fruit you put in

gina1221
10-05-2007, 04:21 PM
I use Designer Whey Chocolate (I can't have soy). I get it at Vitamin Shoppe but GNC and Vitamin World likely have it as well.

Nutrition Info:
Serving Size 1 LEVEL SCOOP
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 90 N/A*
Calories From Fat 15 N/A*
Total Fat 1.5 Gm 2%
Saturated Fat 1 Gm 5%
Cholesterol 30 Mg 10%
Total Carbohydrate 2 Gm 1%
Dietary Fiber 1 Gm 4%
Sugar 1 Gm N/A*
Protein 17.5 Gm 35%
Vitamin B1 (As Thiamine) 1.13 Mg 75%
Vitamin B2 (As Riboflavin) 1.28 Mg 75%
Vitamin B6 (As Pyridoxine) 1.75 Mg 88%
Vitamin B12 4.5 Mcg 75%
Pantothenic Acid (As Ca Pantothenate) 7.5 Mg 75%
Calcium 100 Mg 10%
Phosphorus 90 Mg 9%
Magnesium (As Mg Aspartate, Oxide) 100 Mg 25%
Zinc (As Zn Aspartate) 5 Mg 33%
Sodium 70 Mg 4%
Potassium 150 Mg 4%

OptimistK
10-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Mmmmmmm smoothies!!!

Shy Moment
10-05-2007, 04:58 PM
oh we have gnc stuff where my daughter works I will have her check there.

Luminous
10-05-2007, 09:26 PM
If anyone has one they would like to share. I would like a smoothie recipe that uses bananas or strawberry's or both and yogurt.

Smoothies are very flexible. This is what mine often turn out to be:
3/4 c. plain yogurt
1/2 c. frozen strawberries
1/4 c. frozen blueberries
1/2 frozen overripe banana (you can buy them overripe and discounted at the grocery store, peel them and throw them in the freezer!)
1/2 - 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1/8 c. orange juice - OJ seems to really add an interesting dimension
tablespoon or two of ground flax seed

Shy Moment
10-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Luminous

Oh that sounds so good. Guess I am going to have to get some of that powerdered stuff lol. I have only been eating regular foods don't have anything like that in the house.

MarinePrincess
10-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Yay! Thanks for the recipes ladies; I'm so going to be trying these out this next week.

I don't make a "smoothie" persay, but I do mix frozen strawberries, water, and a little Splenda to get my ICEE fix...better than hitting up BK!