Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Talking Better 'n Peanut Butter?

Has anyone tried this? I saw it online and got sad when I noticed that none of its distributing stores are in my area (we don't DO Trader Joe's in my hick-laden college town), but I can buy it online: http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/

The issue here is that it is sold by the bulk (4 jars or more) so I want to know if it is good or not before I buy it. The idea looks very appealing and I only occasionally eat peanut butter because of its massive fat content (even though I LOVE IT!), so this looks like a promising alternative.

Thoughts?

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 10-03-2007 at 03:01 PM.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I haven't tried it, but I saw it this week at the Whole Foods Market near my house. Honestly, it didn't even look enough like peanut butter for me to buy it. The consistency looked strange. It was also about $4.40 a jar. I bought all natural Teddie PB for about $2.60.In my mind, it just wasn't worth it. I can't speak for taste though!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:54 AM   #3  

It's ok, but don't expect it to be just like peanut butter. It's not better than peanut butter.
But it's ok. My preferred use for it would be as a topping on some light ice cream or something like that.
Nothing's "better than peanut butter"- I'd just consider this a "peanut spread" and change my expectations.
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:23 AM   #4  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs down Peanut butter has no better than

Tried it. Nothing to like about it. A solution looking for a problem. Attractive as "Better Than EVOO". YMMV

Fresh ground peanut butter comes with its full set of nutrition, including that from its peanut oil.

Full disclosure: From a guy who loves his peanut butter and banana on whole wheat.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

i like it... but it's not really much like peanut butter. it has a very different consistency. it's also pretty pricey.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:49 AM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I thought it was disgusting. It went in the trash. It is soooooo sweet.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:03 AM   #7  

I like it, but it's not something I would eat by itself.. like in sandwich or something. It makes a good substitute in recipies that require peanut butter, likea thai peanut sauce or something but it isn't like the real thing. In recipes it has a lighter peanut taste so for me it works as a substitute. Do you have a Whole Foods market or some other larger store of that type near you? have you checked the better N peanut butter web site for stores near by?

http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #8  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I bought a jar at Trader Joes. Didn't really care for it, but put it in the cupboard and used it occasionally. When I took it out yesterday, there was mold all over in it. That's when I noticed "Refrigerate after opening" on the label. I wouldn't buy it again. Did not like the taste, consistency or price.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:40 PM   #9  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I haven't tried it because of the nutritional content. Yes, they've reduced the calories by half, but check out the following:
  • Carbs: "Better" has twice as many carbs as regular peanut butter, none in the form of fiber. I absolutely do not need to add carbs (other than fiber) to my diet--I get plenty as it is.
  • Fat: "Better" has reduced the fat from 16g in regular peanut butter to 2.5g. That's also not a great thing for me. Most of the fat in peanut butter is good fat, something I really need more of, not less of, in my diet.
  • Protein: "Better" has cut the protein in half along with the calories (8g in regular peanut butter, 4g in "Better"). I also do not need to reduce my protein intake.

So Better 'N Peanut might be lower in calories, but those calories are a lot less nutritious.

If you are looking for a peanut butter sub, you'd be better off with something like Power PB. It also drastically cuts the calories--down to 85 per 2 tbsp serving (note the serving size on the label is 4 tbsp--I've converted to 2 tbsp here to be comparable to the standard peanut butter serving), but it still has 10g of fat (8g of good fat), 6g of carbs (4g of fiber), and 12g of protein. And the ingredients are roasted peanuts, egg whites, flax seeds, honey, wheat germ, flax seed oil, and salt. Compare that to the ingredients in "Better 'n Peanut Butter, which include a lot of stuff I don't really want in my peanut butter (tapioca syrup and starch, dehydrated cane juice, vegetable glycerin, soy flour, etc.). I haven't tried Power PB yet, so I don't know how it tastes or what the consistency is, but it sure sounds better than Better 'N Peanut Butter.

Power PB is sold at GNC (General Nutrition Centers) and other health food stores; maybe you have one of those near you. If not, you could buy just one jar at a time from the GNC website, instead of having to make a 4-jar commitment. If you can't find Power PB, there are similar products you might be able to find a local stores. I saw another peanut butter blend featured, I think, in Health Magazine, but of course I can't find the issue now.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 10-05-2007 at 05:42 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:46 PM   #10  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

I would just eat less of real pb and not go for the better'n it really isn't worth it. Just not yummy.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:04 AM   #11  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I have a jar in my refrigerator right now. It's not bad but it tastes really sweet. My friend hates it, says it tastes nothing like peanut butter. I think it is okay. I definitely wouldn't buy that quantity before trying it, though. That said, there is nothing like the real thing.
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #12  
mathlab

S/C/G: 224/163/145

Height: 5'3"

I agree with the opnions about Better 'n Peanut Butter - too sweet, too gooey, too "unpeanut buttery."

I HAVE fallen in love with PB2, a powdered peanut flour that you reconstitute with water. It's 1 points for 2 tablespoons. I haven't seen it in the stores, but you can buy it on-line at www.bellplantation.com

I eat a PB&J sandwich using PB2, SF jelly and light bread - for only 2 points!
bethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #13  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

I bought a jar, used it once and then threw the whole jar out. It was really sweet and kind of runny, doesn't compare to PB at all.
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote