Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #1  
mathlab

S/C/G: 224/163/145

Height: 5'3"

Question What kind of person are you?

"There are two kinds of people in the world: those that turn to food when stressed, angry, bored, upset, depressed, frustrated, and even happy - and those who turn to food when hungry."

I definitely am the first type of person - using food to fill emotional or social gaps; however, I'm using it less and less in that way. I no longer want to overeat when I'm happy or sad - am working on the "boredom" and "tired" triggers. At least now I'm aware of how I'm feeling when I eat and can choose another path - getting out of the house, calling a friend, exercising, going to bed. I'm seeing progress - there are times I'm so wrapped up in an activity that I actually forget to eat until my smomach makes a loud grumble! Then I realize, "Oh, I guess I should eat something right now!"

What kind of person are you and how have you been changing?
bethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:21 AM   #2  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Oooh, I'm the first kind. Boredom or stress are the worst feelings for me. When I'm bored my mind comes up with these weird formulas that, almost through alchemy, turn butter popcorn into brain food.

Now, if I snack on something it's watermelon. Or I go get a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice. And I don't eat at all when I'm bored until my next meal.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:24 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i'm definately the first...however, i'm slowly converting exercise for food. So if i'm stressed or bored, i try to get moving. That helps. But don't get me wrong...i definately have my slip up days.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:41 AM   #4  
it's always something

We had a poll on our home page once to ask if people overate from actual true hunger, or if they overate due to stress, boredom, etc. Over 10,000 people responded and only 6% overate due to true hunger.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:50 AM   #5  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I am definitely an emotional eater. I especially eat bad when I am angry. Lately, I've noticed that when I am in the company of others (besides my husband), I eat like crap. It's a free-for-all. I think I just need to be more aware of when I am doing these things and substitute something for eating.
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #6  
Happy New Rears!

I am definately Person #1 and it's a daily struggle to stop myself to turning to food.
ThinGirl in FatBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:04 AM   #7  
I restore Teeth.

I'm a combination of both. It actually varies for me depending on what time of the month it may be.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:10 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I'm a combination, but mostly #1. I was a total #1 before starting my weight loss journey. I came up with every excuse to eat. I'm MAD! *chomp* My day is depressing! *chomp* Life just SUCKS! *chompchompchomp* YESSSS life is GRAND, let's CELEBRATE! *chompchomp* PMS! *chompchompchompchompchompchomp* Today is boring, I'm going to eat to entertain myself. *Chomp* I had a hard day at work. Time to unwind! *CHOMP!* This is my weekend! It's time to relax! *CHOMP!* I'm not out with my friends tonight, I guess I'll have a good time indoors. Should I raid the popcorn, the chips, or the ice cream first? Oh, don't worry, I'll get to them ALL, I just wanna know which to dive into FIRST!
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I'm definitely #1. Mostly being frustrated over something made me turn to food. One of my biggest challenges has been to consciously think about why I'm eating, every time I eat something. I don't think I'll always have to do that, but it's been pretty amazing how often it isn't hunger that's driving me into the kitchen.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:33 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Number one. So much so in fact, that in the old days, number 2 was not really an option- I never had the CHANCE to be hungry. I was always eating and therefore didn't get hungry. Oh my.

That's why now, I need a scheduele. It doesn't work for everyone, but for me, I need to actually plan not only what I'm going to eat, but WHEN I'm going to eat. I need to eat often, every 2 - 2 1/2 hours so that I don't get too hungry. I don't like that out of it, rumbling feeling especially since it's pretty new for me, see above paragraph.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #11  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I'm both. I have one trigger emotion, boredom, but usually other emotions don't push me to eat (especially not happiness nor anger; these days, the latter makes me feel like committing a murder and decorating my next Christmas trees with the victim's guts rather than eating). I will eat when hungry and will never skip a meal, though--of course, then the danger is to make bad food choices if I'm too hungry, which has always tended to happen regularly enough in the past.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:46 PM   #12  
I restore Teeth.

hehe, glad to see I'm not the only one that's BOTH.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #13  
is about to be slim !!

S/C/G: 170/164.4/147

Height: 5ft 3in

Ive never thought about it ! I just eat and then eat some more when I fancy it. Maybe I should think about it !

A x
AmandaMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:05 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Combo....definately depends on the emotion....anger or stress anything like that I either go shopping or I workout (gotta get that emotion out or it bottles up)......sadness and here comes the pizza.
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #15  

Height: 5'8

Definitely no. 1!
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote