Old 09-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #1  
That's me on the left

S/C/G: 295/221.5/195

Default Off topic...firemen treats...?

Okay, my son is in preschool and has to take a snack next week. And it just so happens that it's their "Fireman Day." So I want to tie the snack into that if possible. But it needs to be healthy. Anybody have any suggestions??

Marie
mgresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:03 PM   #2  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

How about putting some baked cheetos (or some homemade healthy trail mix) into a ziploc bag and putting fireman-themed stickers on the zip lock bags??

Wrap a long ribbon around the stick part of a dum-dum (sucker) that says "don't be a dum-dum; don't play with fire" (if these kids can't read, this may not be meaningful to them).

I bet Dan will have some clever ideas! Smokey Bear that he is!!
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #3  
LAWL Salt Police

Well.. You're not supposed to feed bears, so I don't know..

I like the idea about the trail mix.. With peanuts, raisins and M&M's (just stay out of the candy bag!)
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:46 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

Not sure if you want to mess with this idea (it is a lot of fun but it does get a little messy) but I made some "candy sushi" with my neighbors kids. Their dad is a fire chief and they needed to bring some treats to school the day he was going to teach them to "stop, drop and roll". We made some rice krispy treats and put them on a piece of wax paper. Then you line the middle with healthy stuff, raising, teeny chocolate chips, peanuts. Roll up the rice krispy stuff and slice it in about 2" rolls. We wrapped them in saran wrap and they were 'stop drop and roll(s)'

May be too much work for you to deal with, but it sure was fun and they did most of the work. I did the cutting with a knife dipped in hot water and the wrapping. They did the rest.
shshshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:17 PM   #5  
That's me on the left

S/C/G: 295/221.5/195

Thanks for the ideas! I found a recipe using graham crackers, cream cheese, mini-ritz, and licorice to make little fire engines. I think I'll go with that!
mgresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:51 AM   #6  
Britt/LAWL~Red

Make sure that you have checked with your childs teacher and there are no food allergies with any of the other students. Take a picture of these and post so we can see they sound cute!
brittyboo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:37 AM   #7  
LAWL Salt Police

I guess you have to think about that kind of stuff these days, don't you?

Remember when kids weren't allergic to food? I'd never heard of "peanut" allergies until I was in college in the 90's and some guy I knew at school was miserable becuase he's allergic to peanuts.. He apperantly didn't investigate Portales, New Mexico very well before he went to college there.. Portales is one of the largest producers of peanuts west of the Mississippi...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote