LA Weight Loss - Anyone tried Yoga?

View Full Version : Anyone tried Yoga?

MetalChic
09-27-2007, 11:42 AM
I was given a one month membership to the local YMCA through work so I've been going to their yoga classes. I'm going to join this weekend because my temporary membership runs out the end of the month.

I've been doing pretty good, but I'm obese (according to my BMI - overweight in reality), not flexible, have joint pains, and muscle weakness which has been making it difficult for me.

Does anyone use yoga in addition to their diet? If so, how is it working for you?

Any suggestions?

Thanks! :hug:

lmills730
09-27-2007, 01:04 PM
I have tried yoga but honestly enjoyed pilates a lot more. Its a little more vigorous and I can actually feel it in my muscles when I finish the workout. :) I encourage you to try it!

audreymonroe
09-27-2007, 01:40 PM
I have tried both pilates and yoga, and I prefer pilates for a workout, and yoga for stress relief. My pilates workout is beginner/intermediate level, but it does require holding certain positions for quite a while, and laying on your side, holding up your leg, hips, etc., and I can see how it would hurt someone's joints if they are already sensitive to that. You might incorporate some light yoga or pilates with moderated positions, and stick to a brisk walk for cardio? Or consult your doctor - you want to lose the weight without hurting yourself!

marzbe
09-27-2007, 06:36 PM
I love my yoga. I actually have a mini routine that I do upon waking every morning, the stretching actually wakes me up.

Granted, I have a job where I'm easily moving and active most of the day. (Don't ask how many times I went up and down the portable stair case while reworkign a floor today, I lost count after 20 something :D) and I do a resistance workout at least 4 afternoons a week. So for me, the yoga is an incorporated part of my work-out regime, not my whole routine.

maiat
09-28-2007, 05:00 AM
I agree with those who like pilates better than yoga. I have tried both and for me yoga was helpful for strength, but with pilates I build strength, I lose weight, and I thought it was also as calming as yoga.

MetalChic
10-02-2007, 01:04 PM
I tried pilates, and I don't think I'm strong enough to do that yet... I couldn't do most of the exercises. Any suggestions?

Tuesday Cool
10-07-2007, 11:38 AM
I love yoga. It helps me feel centered and focused, strength and flexibility is a nice benefit as well. This year I have been renewing my relationship with myself. For a long time I forgot to look at myself both outside and in. I was not caring for body or soul and needed to get back some degree of personal understanding. Yoga was my first step toward reconnecting with my body. I started focusing on my eating and other exercise issues later after focusing on my toes a bit.
I know this sounds silly, but I do not think I had really been alone with myself for years and needed to be reintroduced. Yoga helped be in the moment with my body and mind. I learned to forgive my mistakes and honor my strength. For me yoga provides a much needed journey from which I have now entered the next phase - proper nutrition. Tues