Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-27-2007, 07:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/232.8/150

Height: 5'8

Unhappy I think Im on a plateau???

I think I have finally hit a plateau, and I am wondering if I should be increasing or decreasing my calories. I tried to decrease them to 1400 ( I was cunsuming 1500, and before that 1600) and it worked for about a week, and then stoped. Now I am wondering, should I be increasing my calories or decreasing them some more? Oh and just to let you know what I do for exercise. I workout for 90 minutes a day, (and hour on the treadmill and 30 minutes for weight lifting on Mon, Wed, and Fri, and on Tues, and Thurs, I have been on the treadmill for the whole hour and thirty minutes. I also switch these weeks up, like on Tues and Thurs I will do the whole hour on the treadmill and then the weights, and Mon, Wed, and Fri, I do the whole hour and thirty minutes on the treadmill) and I plan to add anothe 30 minutes to that to see if that will help with my plateau. So what do you think I should do because my plan does not seem to be working anymore ?????
Ally88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Oh, I wish I had the answer. I'm wondering the same thing myself. I, too, work out 1.5-2 hours every day.

One idea would be to add something new to your exercise regimen. Another would be to eat more protein and make sure you are eating clean. I need to work on that myself, as I eat way too many carbs. If you make sure your diet is at least 50% protein, you will most likely see a difference.

I busted my first weight loss stall (not clinically a plateau until you stay at the same weight for 3 months) by reducing my calories from 1,500-1,700 to around 1,400 and it worked for awhile, but now I've hit another stall and going around 1,200 is just SO HARD! Stalls for me seem to come steadily every fifteen pounds.

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 09-27-2007 at 07:30 AM.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:08 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! Those stalls are discouraging... Of course, I'm not a nutritionist or doctor, so I can't really tell you what to do. You didn't say how long you've been "stuck" at this weight, but if it's less than 2-4 weeks, then it's not officially a plateau.

My thought, just looking at your height and weight, is that you shouldn't go lower. I'd say, stay with the program you have now and give it more time.

I think 50% protein would be very high--my own preference is to try to get 100 grams of protein when I'm exercising that much daily, and to keep my percentages of nutrients 30/40/30, protein/carb/fat.

Good luck! Don't give up! Hang in there!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:10 AM   #4  
Committed Maintainer

S/C/G: 214/117.5/120

Height: 4'-11.75"

At your weight, with as far as you have to go, I would try raising your calories. You should be eating more than what you are, especially when you exercise like you do. Try raising them a couple hundered for a week or two and see what happens. That's my opinion.
Christina7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:02 AM   #5  

Yeah Jay, 50% protein *is* high, but I think it's what I'm going to try aiming for to see if my stubborn pounds will finally come off!

Also, if I were to consume 100g protein, that would most likely account for near 50% as it is, no? haha. Maybe I just need to eat *Gasp* MORE!

The original poster... probably should eat more, because like the others said, she has awhile to go - if you are eating so little so early in the game, where will you go when you're closer to goal?
Old 09-27-2007, 09:08 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightengaleShane View Post

The original poster... probably should eat more, because like the others said, she has awhile to go - if you are eating so little so early in the game, where will you go when you're closer to goal?
You don't necessarily have to go anywhere. Many, many people continue to lose remaining at the same calorie count for months on end. Increasing exercise, either the duration, intensity or frequency or all of them, is a great way to keep on losing while at the same calorie count.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:25 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey Shane,

My last month of weight loss, this was my average nutrient breakdown:

average cals: 1,336
protein: 27% (88 grams)
carbs: 40%
fats: 32%

Jay
Old 09-27-2007, 09:48 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I know it sounds odd but i think i have to agree with you are already not eating enough. I weigh 144 and stay around 1200-1300 calories. You weigh much more than i do and I can't imagine that eating what i eat would be enough for you. I know there are alot of others your size who eat around 1800 calories and excersize and still lose weight. I think you should be eating more. If you are working out that much and eating that little, i think your body may be holding onto more calories than you want because it's not getting enough nutrients. Meg would be a great one to talk to about advice or Rockingrobin or Susanb....they have all lost alot of weight. I hope you find the answer to your plateau. I know I hate 'em too. If i don't lose 5 pounds a month, i feel like i haven't been doing something right...but sometimes, your body takes a break from dropping numbers on the scale while i suppose it rearranges itself. Maybe you can see some inches lost if you were to take monthly measurements. I measure once a month. I tend to drop approx. half an inch all over each month. Good luck!!!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #9  

Wow, lumifan, I just noticed that we are the same weight, same height, AND have the same Christmas goal. Way cool!
Old 09-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 297/232.8/150

Height: 5'8

Smile

Thanks guys, and I have not really been "stuck" at a weight. I have been losing, but it has slowed down a bit. I don't really know if I should be calling that a plateau but I think I am entering one. I usually lose like 3 pounds a week, and 4 or more when its my time of the month, but the last few weeks it has been mixing up. Like when I lowered my calories to 1400 I lost three pounds like I normally do, but then after that week, it slowed down again. It probably slowed down because im on my time of the month, but that usually never happens so I just guessed it was a plateau. Maybe im being a little impatient and need to just wait and see??? I don't know but thanks for yalls advice. Oh and I would have to say that my weight has slowed down in the last 4 weeks, (So that "might" not be a plateau?????) and I was thinking of going back to eating 1600, and I don't think I would lose anything if I went any higher than that, but thanks anyway.
Ally88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:57 PM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey Ally88,

3 pounds a week is phenomenal! Many people only lose 1-2 pounds a week (and some less than that). So, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't worry! Your weight loss will also slow as you get lower in weight.

Jay
Old 09-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

I've been on a plateau for a while and have recently become more vigilant with my calorie counting - dropping it a bit (1200-1400 but averages around 1300) and more exact and less guessing :P My exercise hasn't changed all that much - still 1 - 2 hours daily.

So far I've dropped a kilo in the 1.5 weeks since I changed it up which is such a nice feeling! I hate those last few kilos, they drive me insane lol.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote