Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #1  
carvinmom

S/C/G: 359/254/150

Height: 5'5''

Cool 2 wks pre surgery

hi,
In the middle of my 2 wk pre liquid diet. my doctor allows protein drink, oatmeal, chicken broth,water , tea, decaf coffee, tomatoe juice. the protein drink is Unjury.. THis is a new program they say they are having suscess with and so far its been a good one to follow for me.. Of course i practiced before hand about a month !! I have been wandering about the carbs in the protein drinks that ive looked at, dont you have to worry about sugar??? Also eating so little is causing my tongue to be white, and hard to swallow.. probably all the meds i take... Bet i need more water!!!
im concerned about the idea of all the protein drinks having sugar in them... does that little amout count.. or am i being to strict....
carvinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 297/137/150

If your tongue is white and sore it sounds like thrush. It is a yeast infection that you get in your mouth. I had it on and off for about 4 months after my surgery. I would talk to your doctor about it they can give a prescription to deal with the yeast and it helps a little with the discomfort of it.
Ophelia924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Unjury

Carvinmom, I've heard from several of my friends that the Unjury is good stuff. Most say it is tasteless. Seems like you are doing very well. Gosh, if your surgery is on Oct. 2nd, it is coming fast! YEAH! I tried the Micellar Milk this weekend and kind of liked it. Tasted good in my SF Chai Tea recipe.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:26 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

yeah, carvin - go to the doc about your tongue.

as for the 'sugar' in the protein drinks - there are a couple of points. AS A RULE OF THUMB, less than 15 grams of carbs per serving is generally OK. very few people dump on 15 grams or less [notice i said VERY FEW PEOPLE - i'm sure there are a few out there!!!]

the other important point is that you need to consider a serving of protein to be about 20 grams [a little more is better than a little less - but you get the idea]. and you'll have to tweak that in order to meet your own particular needs. at the beginning, i had to have 15 grams of protein every 3 hours in order to keep moving! others do fine with a little less, and others need a little more.

you're doing great - and i'm so impressed! things have moved extremely fast for you, and you're soooo on track!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:11 AM   #5  
carvinmom

thanks girls, to my resue again.... have a few problems going on, insurance is bulkking a bit, not sure why ... and only one week to go!!
i will ask doc tomorrow about white tongue and know it isnt thrush , had it before but thanks for mentioniing it ophelia...
THe unjury protein drink is working out okay.. i do put my sugarless syprups in for more flavor when i make my smoothies etc. The Muscle milk is too sweet but added it to my sugar free pudding which i discovered i could have it also on my pre surgery... thank god im not having trouble staying with this pre stuff so far!!.. Of course my dentures are ground down some i noticed!!
Glad to know about the 15 grams Jiff.... i was being real strict of trying for no grams!! that was making really hard to find anything legal...Lots of emotional things going on around me but have to keep focused on MEEEEEEEEE first this time!!!!! Not easy with hubby mad at me for doing this surgery and son moving in after seperation from wife.. etc etc... Nothing is gonna stop me with this chance of a new and less fat way of life... thank you all for your support.. i look for it everyday...... stay safe..... bye
Old 09-25-2007, 01:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 385/238/145

Height: 5'11"

Wow! You are determined! I'm so happy for you. That's the mentality you're going to need. It's for you! I'm sorry home life is so stressful, but you're off to a beautiful start.
Good luck!
jaxnlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:25 AM   #7  
carvinmom

thanks Jaxs,,, can i call you that!!!!
anyhow the support means so much to me... when theres none at home. my daughter is driving up to help next week, oct 2 is the DAY...Passed all my pre today and lost 25 pounds for the big day, so that i could be in better shape.. i want to give it the best chance i can.. im a tough farm wife , i can do this. I look forward to doing things i havent been able to do.. like tie a shoe, get out of a chair, walk a few steps without pain, breath some fresh air without coughing for more............ have no idea why im so determined and just a month ago i was scared to death. I think its because of all the years ive wasted being fat, all the remarks and looks... i dont have anymore tiime to make excuses... life sure went by fast !! im on disability and retired now... So a word of wisdom to you youngins.. dont wait to long like i did , no matter if you do surgery or not, start early with healthy eating habits, please.. sorry that sounds like a sermon...... six days to go....
Old 09-26-2007, 10:17 AM   #8  
want2bethin

S/C/G: 368/330/150

Height: 5"5

Hi all
I am having the RNY surgery tomorrow. I am Canadain but going to the States for the surgery. I'm very scared. Please tell me this is a good thing and it will be worth it.
Tracey Keough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:42 AM   #9  
Old Cackler

geeezzzz tracey - you're nervous, aren't you??? where in the States are you going? who's handling the followup? remember a few points here [and i hope i don't overload you!]

1. do what you doctor tells you

2. the first three months will be hard - but you'll be OK.

3. make sure to get your protein and water in. no excuses!!!!

4. take it day by day - don't look too far ahead. things WILL get better

5. you now get to re-learn everything you ever knew or thought about food and your relationship with it. that's the hardest part. it'll take time and trial-and-error. be patient with yourself

6. take your vitamins

7. stick around here - it's a good place to be

soooo, having said ALL THAT - keep us posted, and good luck to you!!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:53 AM   #10  
want2bethin

WOW!!!!!! Jiffy pop your doing GREAT!!!! I can only hope to do as well as you.
I am going to Detroit Michigan For the surgery. I look forward to a the surgery but still worried too. I know I have to do this. I always do well lossing weight but it never lasts. Thanks for the good luck and well wishes. This site is going to be a big help to me in coming months. I can't wait to talk again soon.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:56 AM   #11  
carvinmom

Tracey, im having my surgery Tuesday and im ready to go.. little scared but prepared, figure the good lord will do the rest. U will do fine and think of me coming right behind you, so move over!!!!! then we discuss our dumping together!!! Get back here as soon as you can.. everyone here is so supportive and if you want to talk anytime , put me on your buddy list... carvinmom
Old 10-01-2007, 09:12 AM   #12  
want2bethin

Hi Carvinmin
today will be my first full day home. yesterdays 3 hour car ride home was brudal. i felt every little bump in the road. they had some problems getting me on paid medication that didn't upset my stomach, ive got that under control now. the only other thing is my breathing. my oxygen level is in the 60's and its supposed to be in the 80s or 90s so im going to be on oxygen for about a month. other than that everything was pretty much as i expected. i wish you the best of luck on your surgery tomorrow, i cant wait to hear from you, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Tracey
Old 10-02-2007, 01:08 AM   #13  
carvinmom

hi tracey,
i left you a message , under the thread, tracey howd it go, then found this one and had to say hello again... Im heading for surgery in less then 16 hours and im ready and anxious. Sounds like yours wasnt to bad and home already. Now is the hard part, so keep in touch and let me know how your doing... if you need a buddy........... put me on your list..... ive got to get to bed or stay up ... so stay well..... carvinmom .. or linda
Old 10-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 316/SD300/254/180 RNY 3-4-08

Height: 5'8

Just wanted to say that I hope all of you that are post op are doing well! How is the oxeygen levels coming tracey? Have a happy day all.
whitelion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:22 AM   #15  
want2bethin

Hi guys,
Well went back to the USA yesterday to see the doc. Got my drain out and it feels alot better. He wants me to stay on oxygen for another week or so. he said it will help with the Healing! I'm still light headed at times. He weighed me and I'm down 50 pounds now. Now I can start to try alittle more food, but it scares me. I don't want to get sick. Any suggestions on breakfast, I tried cream of wheat yesterday and hated it. It might be good with brown sugar but pretty gross with none. Go back to the doc in 3 weeks. The ride there and back took alot out of me. I hope today a better day. Take care all. Tracey