Old 09-17-2007, 12:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/*ticker*/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Weekly Weigh In

I thought it would be a good idea to start a weekly weigh in thread. We used to have one in this forum but it seems to have dissapeared. I know we all weigh on different days and sometimes more than once a week. This is just for accountability, let us know how you're progressing.

As for me: I've already talked about it in the weekly chat, but here it is again, I am actually up 2 pounds this morning, I had a great week last week and the only reason I can see for the gain is my sisters bachelorette party that was Friday night. I had 2 pieces of pizza and about 4 glasses of wine. I know this is really bad but I got back on track the next day. I also exercised every day this week which was something I haven't been doing. I was a little surprised to see the scale go up. I did just get off my period so I'm hoping this might have something to do with it. Or maybe it was the extra exercise, I'm still at a pretty high weight though, I would think the extra exercise would make the scale go down instead of up... I even had comments about how I looked skinnier this week! I hate the scale!
caseygail21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:37 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

Are your muscles sore? I've read, though I am not sure how true it is, that you retain water in your muscles if they are sore from exercise and this can lead to a higher weight on the scale. I really have NO IDEA if it's true or not. Regardless, you just keep trying and putting in the effort and you WILL get results.

My weigh in day is on Fridays. I lost one pound as of last friday. Thus, I've been on my "lifestyle" change track for 2 weeks and I've lost 2 lbs. I'm a little disappointed. Wasn't I supposed to lose a massive 5 lbs the first week or something?

Oh well. I gotta just keep plugging away at it. It might take me a little longer to reach my goal, but I'll get there!
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:19 PM   #3  
Taking It Back

S/C/G: 199.8/189.2/134.2

Height: 5'6.2"

casey: What type of exercise are you doing? I have heard that muscles weigh more than fat or something along that line, so perhaps that is where the "gain" is from. I detest periods, because they always mess up the scale. 3-4 days before, during, and then 3-4 days after for me. It can be very discouraging.

I like to weigh in daily for many reasons, but I do my "official" weigh-in on Wednesday, so I will be back then. :-)

Hope everyone else is having a good week.
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:05 PM   #4  

Amber: My muscles are actually very sore. I think I will read more into that! Thanks for the tip!

Nadia: I actually did all kinds of different exercise last week. I walked everyday, I ran some, did the bow flex, tae bo, and pilates. So, it could deffinately mean I gained muscle. And could be the reason I got the "you look skinnier" comments. I need to stop stessing about the scale and go more by how I feel and look. It's just hard not to obsess over the scale especially when I have set these goals for myself and want so badly to meet them!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Height: 5'7"

4 glasses of wine at a bachorlette's party is not so bad. It wasn't 4 bottles, right? The important thing is that you got right back into healthy eating.
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #6  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

Casey....Amber is exactly right. This is one way the scale can lie. When you work out blood rushes to your muscles and after you're done working out and the blood leaves, water remains because there is still extra space there to hold the water. Oddly enough, the way to "flush" the water out is by drinking more water.

Also, I found out from one of the maintainers, which is also a personal trainer, another way the scale lies. Just because the scale goes up or doesn't move, doesn't mean you're NOT burning fat. After fat is burned from a particular fat cell(s), the fat cell(s) can fill with water (the fat cell never goes away it just shrinks, hence why we can lose and regain. The contents, the actual fat, is burned). So even if the scale goes up or doesn't budge, you still could be burning fat.
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:46 PM   #7  

Thanks for the encouragement guys, you are definintely making me feel better about this whole thing. I'm just gonna keep up the good work and no cheating this week!
Old 09-17-2007, 08:21 PM   #8  
Chubby Bookworm

S/C/G: 155/ticker/125

I like the weekly weigh in idea Accountability, woop!

Also: muscle does indeed weigh more than fat, because it's a lot more dense. So a smaller, muscular person would actually weigh more than a larger person with a higher percentage of body fat. Factoid for the day!

My weigh-in day is on Sunday... which was also my (re)start day, so I was 155. Boo urns. Hence the back on track-ness!!
Rockie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:49 PM   #9  

Height: 5'9"

So I started every thing today. Went to the gym tonight. We'll see how things sum up on Saturday :fingerscrossed:
Mischmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Casey - I like the idea of getting this started again.

As I also said in the weekly chat my weekend was terrible becuase of a wedding I went to. Not so good food choices (although in limited quantities I was good on portions). So I was down to 179 on Saturday morning but then up to 184 on Sunday. So well see how it balances out. I haven't changed my ticker yet . . . I actual realized that I should have changed it to 180 two weeks ago but forgot.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #11  

scale is broken..... by the clothes though im bakc up to 140! sh*t! haha
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:03 PM   #12  

I went ahead and weighed myself this morning and now I'm back to 160, so I don't know what's going on!
Old 09-18-2007, 10:04 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

You probably were just retaining water after the wine and pizza, Casey.
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:34 AM   #14  
zuluprincess

S/C/G: 269/205/176

Hey guys. I'm back on the bandwagon. I had ballooned up about 9 pounds and i was too embarrassed to come back. I've finally lost the 9 pounds so i'm feeling confident enough to come back. I really want to try and stick to my plan this time. I'm going to try and go back to the gym next week. I'm getting over bronchitis so i can't jump back into my exercise routine just yet. Hope everyone is doing well. Keep up the good work...
zuluprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:54 AM   #15  
Taking It Back

S/C/G: 199.8/189.2/134.2

Height: 5'6.2"

zulu, I am glad to hear you lost the nine pounds. If you gain again, though, stay here!! I did the same thing a bit back with a group I was one. I kept gaining so I just never went back. The thing I could have used most during all the gains was accountability. So, please stick around.

I weigh in everyday so there are only ever little ups and downs. I really prefer it over the big shock of a weekly weigh-in. Besides, if I compare my Tuesday to Tuesday to my Thursday to Thursday, there is generally quite a difference between the two numbers. Anyway. . .

Average last week: 195.23 Scale reading last Wednesday: 194.2
Average this week: 193.14 Scale reading this Wednesday: 190.8

So, according to my averages, I lost a bit over two; according to my actuals, I lost almost four. I do not really care which one is "right" just that both show a loss!!

Last edited by Nadia; 09-19-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote