Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 09-08-2007, 02:23 PM   #1  

Default The link between advertisements and consuming

Hey all! I just wanted to share this kind of off the wall part of my program - TURNING OFF THE COMMERCIALS!

I was talking to a lady I know who is a hypnotist, about the power of suggestion.....and how it is mostly general rather than specific in nature, in other words, how many images are you bombarded with every day to CONSUME SOMETHING?

You can't eliminate them (billboards, etc. are part of the landscape) but amazingly I've found that muting commercials on TV and listening to commercial free (XM) radio has helped decrease my more impulsive food behaviors.

The theory is: If you watch TV for an hour you are hit with a lot of subliminal messages to eat/drink/buy stuff. It doesn't necessarily mean you see a McDonald's ad and want to go to McDonald's; but after 50 or so such suggestions (Yum! FOOD! EAT!) you might find yourself nibbling on something in the kitchen.

SO......try this! Whenever you are hit with a message like a cereal commercial or whatever, turn it off and repeat to yourself "I'm completely satisfied; I want for nothing." or something like that.

I used to work in an ad agency so I know that BILLIONS of dollars are spent to get us to consume....being aware of these messages can help you counter that!
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:30 PM   #2  

I'd agree, and its just a general lifestyle principle as well...same goes for cars clothes perfumes too right?

emily
xxx
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #3  

Yeah absolutely but it's possible to manifest it into whatever is your particular issue, like, you see some ad that's all "you NEED this product..." you might subliminally internalize it as "I NEED something...."

I read a study where, commercials for weight loss products/programs are more likely to cause binge eating that food commercials!

I guess it's a question of turning off these millions of commercial messages and replacing with positive affirmations that you don't need to over-consume food or anything else....
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #4  
More to love!

S/C/G: 225/ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

Absolutely agree.

Watching an episode of The Sopranos was torture for me. All those people ever do is eat and drink. I found myself craving pasta at 10 pm after a filling meal, LOL...
cuddlzandhugz is offline   Reply With Quote