Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-04-2007, 02:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

Exclamation Pasta Sabatoge

My family is cooking pasta tonight, and even though I insisted NO, they dont care. I really reeally want to try spaghetti squash. Problem is I dont know where to find it, or what it looks like. Is it in season?? Is it at regular grocery stores, or just specaility ones?? Thanks!!!
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Take a look at this link . . . http://www.fabulousfoods.com/feature...pagsquash.html . . . there's a picture.

It's almost always available at my local supermarkets all year round. Good luck.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:48 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

Spaghetti squash is really good - I have it when I make spaghetti for my son - but I don't care for pasta so it isn't a sacrifice for me. You couldn't just limit yourself to 1/2 cup ?
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #4  
LLV

What's wrong with pasta?

Just eat one serving and leave it at that.

If your family wants pasta, then let them have it. My guys are all the time wanting stuff I'm not going to eat. I don't worry about it, I make my own food that I CAN eat. And really, there's nothing I can't eat. It's just I make sure I stay within my calorie allowance and if they're having something that doesn't fit for the day, I find something else. No biggie!

I learned long ago not to make my family suffer because of my new way of eating. I can't insist that they not have the foods they love just because I'm not going to eat them.

Last edited by LLV; 09-04-2007 at 05:49 PM.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #5  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

As someone who is physically incapable of limiting themselves to 1/2 a cup of pasta, I can sympathize. I really love spaghetti squash, though the texture is much different from pasta and takes a little getting used to. You should be able to find it in your regular grocery store's produce section, especially this time of year. Right now the squashes are pretty small and lovely, but if you don't recognize them just ask one of the employees. I bet they'll lead you right to it : )

Be aware that the rind is tough to cut through. To prepare it just cut it in half lengthwise and then scoop out the seeds the way you would with a pumpkin. I put both halves in a sprayed 9x13 pan and bake them at 350 for about an hour, but you can microwave them too. Once you can pierce the rind with a fork easily, take them out of the oven and use a fork to scoop out the insides. It will come out in strands like spaghetti, and is delicious with red sauce, or stir-fried tomatoes and zucchini. That's how I prepared it for dinner tonight.

At 40 calories a cup, it's worth all the effort!
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:06 PM   #6  
LLV

Here's a link you might enjoy

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/feature...pagsquash.html

Spaghetti squash is definitely good stuff. But if you're expecting it to be anything similar to pasta, you may be a little disappointed.

Hey, have you ever tried the tofu pasta? I don't remember what it's called (hopefully someone can tell you) but it's 'pasta' that can be used like regular pasta and has practically no calories.

Editing to add the link to the thread on those noodles.........

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109336

Last edited by LLV; 09-04-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:21 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I can't eat pasta. All right, not can't, but don't. I'm not satisfied with 1/2 cup serving. So, I prefer to not start with it at all. I do make it for my family from time to time.

I make and love the spaghetti squash. I saute onions, peppers and portabello mushrooms with fresh garlic in cooking spray. I then add in some marinara sauce and the cooked squash. It's excellent.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:36 PM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I can't eat pasta. All right, not can't, but don't. I'm not satisfied with 1/2 cup serving. So, I prefer to not start with it at all. I do make it for my family from time to time.
Normally what I do is measure out exactly 2 ounces dry. Cook that and that's all I eat. It's about a cup cooked, I believe.

Your spaghetti squash sound yummy!
Old 09-04-2007, 08:44 PM   #9  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

The way I look at it, someone will *always* be eating something that I would do better to avoid personally. It is up to me and me alone to find healthy foods that meet my needs (or to give in and eat things that don't help reach my goals).

Making a vegetable cacciatore style dish is great when others are eating pasta. I like to make zucchini, carrots, onions, garlic, tomatoes and any other veggies I have around and season them up with or without pasta sauce and then have the veggie sauce over brown rice or quinoa, sometimes with beans or lentils too.

Last edited by SoulBliss; 09-04-2007 at 08:45 PM.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:10 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My DH eats rice every day. I don't. If I make a dish that is good over rice (saucy), I usually get various veggies and put it on the veggies.

One thing about learning to eat while losing and maintaining weight is you need to learn new techniques.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I like spaghetti squash, but not prepared like spaghetti. Personally, I think it tastes a lot better by itself, maybe with a tiny amount of butter and salt and pepper, though alot of people do prepare it like spaghetti and like it fine.

Whole wheat pasta is also a good choice. It has more fiber so it is more filling per calorie.

Another thing I do with pasta (whole wheat, regular, or corn) is add vegetables - a lot of vegetables. Either right from a bag of frozen mixed vegetables or fresh. Broccoli, onion, bell pepper, carrot, celery, mushrooms - just about anything really. I cook the veggies in the microwave, or stir fry them in a little cooking spray or water, and toss with the pasta, and then add the sauce.

When I make my spaghetti sauce, I mix 1 lb of extra lean ground beef, and 1 cup of dry tvp (soy protein from the bulk bins at the health food store, looks like grapenuts cereal) and some onion, bell pepper, and celery. When it's almost browned, I add 1 cup of water, tomato juice or broth (the tvp has to be reconstituted with water), and then add jarred spaghetti sauce (I read the labels to make sure it's not too high in fat, sugar, or calories). Often I add fresh or canned tomatoes and mushrooms. Anything I can do to dilute the calories without diluting the flavor.

(I also use the tvp with ground beef in other recipes that calls for browned ground beef.) The hidden tvp is so inconspicuous, I've never had anyone notice. I even serve it at potlucks and when we have guests, and when someone asks for the recipe, they're shocked that it contains "fake" meat.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

Oh, I tried the tofu pasta, called Shiratake. I had high hopes. It was *disgusting*. The texture was like eating rubber. The sauce didn't stick to it at all, so eating it was a challenge. HORRIBLE
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:33 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

BattleAx,
I just had the same experience I went crazy looking for shirataki noodles, and was VERY dissapointed in them. I couldnt even stomach them. Not even for an asian inspired dish. GROSS!!!
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:10 PM   #14  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAx View Post
Oh, I tried the tofu pasta, called Shiratake. I had high hopes. It was *disgusting*. The texture was like eating rubber. The sauce didn't stick to it at all, so eating it was a challenge. HORRIBLE
I heard the same thing, that people had a hard time getting any type of sauce to adhere to the noodles.

It's one of those ------

*sigh* I knew it was too good to be true moments, LOL

Last edited by LLV; 09-13-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:20 PM   #15  

Height: 5'4"

Spaghetti squash is incredibly hard to cut open - I have my produce dept do it for me. So far they have been very nice about it.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote