Old 08-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #1  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

Question Metformin (Glucophage) dosage

I was on 1500 mg of metformin a day. When I started seeing a nutritionist for weight loss, she wanted me to up the dose to 2000 mg a day for it's weight loss benefits. I did it, but wonder if anyone else has done this. I wonder if it will help now that I am getting serious again about weight loss (after birth of my baby).
Thanks for any input!
Kim
Ottoette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:39 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

IMHO, I don't think it will make a really big difference one way or the other . . . but your prime concern must be what effect it will have on your BGL. As long as that stays okay (and your primary care physician has no problem with an increased dose); go for it and good luck . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:09 PM   #3  

Cool

Glucophage isn't in itself a weight loss drug. It's advantage is, that unlike most diabetes medications, it does not make you put weight on, thus it is good drug to take if you want to lose weight. However, the primary concern here, as Meowee pointed out, is how your blood sugar is controlled. Your nutritionist should not be dictating medication dosage. You should discuss this with your doctor. That said, I take 2000 mg a day, along with 15 mg. Actos. When I make the effort, I can lose weight.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:02 PM   #4  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

Yes, of course, I checked with my endo before upping the dosage. I already did this, I just wondered if anyone else had that suggested to them also or what anyone thought of it.
I'm with you, Rosetta, *when I make the effort* I can lose weight too.
Ottoette is offline   Reply With Quote