Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #1  

Unhappy food and flying

Good morning

Tomorrow I'm going to be flying for the first time in about six years...I know there are new rules about food on the plane...i.e., you can't take anything on that you don't buy beyond a certain point in the airport?
For those of you who fly alot, what do you do about this? can you actually find something healthy at most airports these days? I hate the idea of not being able to take my usual stuff with me
Any ideas would be appreciated...I am a terrible flyer, and this only adds to the stress...
Thanks
VeggieGirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:53 AM   #2  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

The only thing you can't take with you are liquids. You can buy water and other drinks after the security checkpoint, albeit at inflated airport prices.

As for whether you'll find anything healthy in the airport eateries, it depends on the airport. Generally speaking, you'll find healthy options in West Coast airports, but in other parts of the country it's hit or miss, usually miss. Either way, airport food will be ridiculously expensive. Not quite movie prices, but close.

I bring food with me. Boiled eggs, veggies, hummus (doesn't really need to be refrigerated all the time), leftover chicken breasts, fruit, etc. etc. It's just like packing a lunch for work, really.

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #3  

Thanks Kim...what a relief...my husband was freaking me out saying I couldn't take anything edible...as long as I can make myself a sandwich, some veggies and fruit, I'm fine
Old 08-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7

check out this website...it tells you what is allowed/not allowed to be carried on the plane -- if you scroll down to the very bottom, it talks about food http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm
aliceINonederland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #5  
Meg

Veggie, I always take tons of food with me! Hard boiled eggs, PB on whole wheat bread, cut up apples, turkey sandwiches ... just like Kim. And I buy a bottle of water once I'm past security and then I'm all set.

Don't forget napkins and those little antiseptic hand wipes.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:36 PM   #6  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I take veggies, Fiber One bars, etc. Usually I don't take long flights, though, and if I do then its never non-stop (thanks to work for never scheduling those) and so I can grab a salad when I have a stop.

I also bring an EMPTY water bottle through security (NOTIFY them it is empty before you shove it under the scanner!) and fill it up at the water fountain after I get through. Why pay for water
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I like to munch on planes, so I always bring a bunch of food with me. For very long overseas flights, energy bars with tons of fiber are absolutely necessary. All the airline food I've ever eaten has negative fiber in it, so it can stop you up for days if you don't bring your own.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #8  

Thumbs up

Thank you all for your replies and ideas...I feel much better...well as good as this bad flier can feel

I did pack (in my checked bag) my cross trainers, my heart monitor and my exercise gear and am looking forward to a vacation, but not a vacation from exercise!
Old 08-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

If you aren't salt-sensitive, order the tomato juice on the plane for an extra vegetable serving. I always try to do that when I travel because, not being a salad person, I'm always behind on veggies.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #10  

Just a quick note to say thanks again for the tips...I'm back from vacation...we had a wonderful time, perfect weather, lots of exercise, and really nice family time together, which we don't get much of these days...The flying was relatively painless (or as painless as it can be for this claustrophobe). Nonetheless, i'm glad to be home, and on regular routine again...I guess that's part of the reason to go on vacation...to be happy to be home again

I did manage to exercise every day, and that felt great
Old 08-26-2007, 01:11 PM   #11  
Meg

Welcome back and good job on the exercise!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote