Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 322/255/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Just Getting Started!

Hi Everyone!

I'm Lori and I've been thinking about WLS for about a year now. I finally have decided to take the plunge and have convinced my hubby that it's a good idea. He was so fearful before. I am going to be starting the paperwork and I suppose will be going to classes? Did everyone have to do this?

Also, how long were you all in the hospital? How long were you in terrible pain? I've had several female surgeries finally having a complete hysterectomy. I'm wondering if the WLS is equal to that?

I'm most likely going to go with the WLS that most people have according to all the research I've been doing. Starts with an R? There is an open and a less invasive type of surgery to this? Those who have had either way can you describe the surgery, length of hospital stay and recovery time?

Finally, what are the main foods you can never have again? I'm a coffee fanatic - I suppose I can still have that? I guess that's all the questions so far!

I'm happy to be with your group to learn and gain and give support!

Lori
mom2fivesweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:45 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

Lori - it's so wonderful to meet you! sounds like you've had quite a long haul to get to this point [i read your profile!]. it might be a good idea for you to drag your hubby along to all info meetings and even to the classes. [and yes, some surgeons/programs require pre-surgery classes. not all do, however].

terrible pain? hmmm. very uncomfortable, yes. but not writhing on the floor screaming! i truly enjoyed the morphine pump i had in the hospital, and then was discharged on oral oxycontin. that lasted 2-3 days, and then i didn't need it any more.

roux en y gastric bypass. and some surgeons do it open, leaving a good-sized scar and keeping you in the hospital for another day or two. in some cases, that's actually the best way to go. Many surgeons do it laparascopically, which means that you end up with 5 small [not more than an inch] at different parts of your abdomen. recovery is usually shorter than with open, but please remember that the surgeon must be very skilled in this surgery in order to do it properly. make sure to ask your surgeon how many he/she has done.

as for 'off-limit forever' foods, well, frankly. there aren't any. BUT, for the first 6 months, you'll have to be VERY careful about what you eat. and, in order to make the most of the weight loss window, you'll have to continue being VERY careful for about 2 years [the time on this varies].

after that, when your weight is stabilized, it becomes the same old same old that everyone else faces, with a few special rules [extra protein, fewer carbs, vitamins vitamins vitamins]. portion control, wise choices, high quality foods, no junk.

most people use the first 12-18 months to completely re-learn their relationship with food. and please don't think that's an easy task! it's one of the hardest things i've ever done, and i'm STILL not there!

well, this info should get you started - and i'm sure others will chime in as well.

keep up the good work!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #3  

I had laproscopic roux en y.

I went in on Wednesday morning for surgery at 11 am (It was actually more about 3 pm). I was sent home at Noon on Friday.

For me, the only day of terrible pain was that first day. I was in and out of consciousness. I was sore the rest of the time and used my drugs but I felt pretty darn good and I'd never had any kind of surgery before so I was worried I wouldn't be able to tolerate it.

In terms of "less invasive" - while I understand the physical aspect of it, people say physically the "lapband" is less invasive. But I find that to be a misnomer because although yes, things are not changed around as much in your body, you *are* putting a foreign object in your body so there are pros and cons to that as well..and there are possible problems as well - like infections and flipped ports...so while people are always concerned about "invasiveness", lapband is also a serious procedure that carries with it, its own set of possible problems as well. What I'm just reminding you is that every procedure carries its own benefits and risks and make sure to do all your research now. There are many different types of surgeries as well - roux en y, gastric sleeve, mini bypass, duodenal switch....lots to choose from so make sure you choose well.

Again I had roux en y. There is nothing that I cannot have after surgery other than say a 3 scoop sundae with hot fudge, nuts, cherries, whipped cream - all that sugar makes me sick. But I can have a slice of pie or cake, or a bowl or cone of ice cream and I'm okay. Typically with rny, you have the possibility of "sugar dumping" - sugar making you sick - (heart racing, sore gut, nauseated). About 40% of us don't dump. Some people find they cannot have more than a cookie or two, or sugar makes them ill. It varies from person to person. Alot of people see this as a positive however - a little behavioural therapy if you will =)

Dawn
*stefani* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:44 PM   #4  

Default Thanks!

Hi Jiffypop and Dawn!

Thanks for the information! I'll make sure to do my homework regarding the different types of WLS. I am around 320 pounds and tons of the fat in my abdomen. Would they have to do open you think? I was looking at your web page, Dawn, and it's awesome! I think I read on there that if you are not extremely obese, then they can do the laparoscope. So I'm sure my surgeon will figure that out for me - whether to do open or not -

I know nothing about gastric sleeve or mini-bypass - so I will definitely have to do my homework on those -

Also what is a leak test?

My mom and dad are 88 and nearly 90. When we were at their house on Sunday I had some information I was looking at on WLS. My dad wanted to know what it was - when I told him he said "Don't do THAT! Can't you just eat what they eat without the surgery???" He's so funny! Mom just wants me to be happy - I sure hope they can share in the joy of me finally losing the weight!

Thanks again, ladies!

Lori
Old 08-08-2007, 10:03 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

oh Lori - MANY people think 'if you'd just eat the way the do AFTER the surgery, you won't need the surgery.' that's not true. the fact that with bypass we don't absorb everything has a lot to do with it, along with the restriction.

but perhaps more important, it seems that the surgery short-circuits [or re-sets?] the complex interaction between the digestive tract saying 'i'm full' and the brain registering that information.

it's NOT as simple as some people think. so, don't let them talk you into 'trying the WLS diet at home!!!'

as for doing open - babe, honey, darlin. at 320, you're VERY typical. i had to get below 500 for the surgery because the table had a weight limit. there was no problem with the laparascopic EQUIPMENT, just the weight limit on the table!!!

so, your weight isn't a barrier to lap surgery.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #6  

Hi JiffyPop!

Wow! That's great news! I was thinking I had too much stomach fat to get the laparoscopy! It sounds SO much more comfortable. I have to definitely make sure to get a surgeon who has lots of experience with that. From what I've read, most of the surgeons have done more open ones, I guess. So you had the laparoscopy? I know Dawn did - it seems the pain and recovery would be SO much easier! Do you know of anyone who has had the one where they take part of the stomach? The sleeve? Some of the after-affects sound pretty good like no dumping, but then it's so scary to think of part of your stomach gone forever! Have you heard of dumping without the surgery? I guess I've eaten wayyyyyyyyyy too much if I've dumped without the surgery! But the symtoms are something I've actually had before.

I also understand what you are saying about the surgery and absorption and the taking away of the hunger. It's really interesting isn't it? My kids are up at the pool as we speak. Swimming is my VERY favorite summer thing to do and I'm sitting here at the computer. Enough is enough. It's ridiculous for me to stop living at 52! Next summer I'm doing water parks, pools, six flags, and all the things I haven't done in years!!! As for my dad, he'll be 90 in
November and thinks he the funniest person alive! I've always been his biggest fan and laugh at all his jokes - I think he MAY have been kidding about the food, but sometimes you can't tell!

Thanks so much for your help! I am so happy I found all of you!!
Lori
Old 08-08-2007, 12:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 350/215/180ish

Height: 5'6

Just wanted to drop in and say "hi"...it's nice to have you here with us!!

Chrissy
FlourGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:47 PM   #8  

Hi Lori,

In order to do it laproscopically, it's not a matter of what you weigh. It's a matter of "shrinking your liver" in order to make your liver able to move around since it is in the way during surgery. To shrink the liver, all you have to do is go into surgery eating less fatty foods and having lost some weight - 5 lbs even. Some surgeons may ask you to lose more if they find you carry alot of weight in your belly - so that things are able to be moved around better. It also depends on if you've had alot of previous surgeries in your abdomen area - because if you have too much scar tissue, they won't be able to see properly to do it laproscopically.

A leak test is a test to check for a leak in your system after they have done surgery and re-routed your intestines. People die from leaks. They are serious business and the possiblity of a leak scared the crap out of me quite frankly. All surgeons do a test during surgery but not all do it the next day to basically "double check" the system. That's one criteria I had for the surgeon I picked.

While their is a definite loss of "hunger" at the beginning when your stomach has very little sensation, my hunger definitely DID return.

Good luck with your decision!

Dawn
Old 08-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

hmmm. i didn't have a leak test - the docs said that they've never had someone with an asymptomatic leak, so they only did it if the patient had symptoms [whatever they are!]. this comes under the heading of 'talk with your doc.' if a surgeon is not very experienced, i'd expect a leak test, but if the surgeon has done 1000 or so, and has had only 2 leaks, i PERSONALLY wouldn't worry about it - but that's my opinion. everyone has stuff they're willing to take a chance on, and stuff that they're NOT willing to chance.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:22 AM   #10  

Hi Chrissy! Nice meeting you too!

Hi Dawn - Ok, it's the liver - I get it now - I sure hope mine isn't extra fatty, but I'm sure it is - there isn't much on my old bod that isn't fatty. So...........what exactly leaks into your system? Sorry I sound so stupid, but this is all so foreign to me - I just ordered WLS for Dummies on Amazon - can't wait until that comes and I've read that. How do they do the test? About breathing - someone mentioned pulmonary function on another thread - I always feel that I don't breathe deeply enough - do they do any testing of that?

I've told 2 friends I was doing this - they are obese and would qualify for WLS too - they both want to see how my WLS goes and maybe they will do it! I said well great now I'm a guinea pig!! Sigh -

Lori
Old 08-09-2007, 07:55 AM   #11  

When you start drinking, it would be the fluid (i'm sure there would be some type of body fluids as well) that would go through your bowels, leak inside you and basically poison you.

In the leak test (day after surgery) they have you drink barium or whatever it is called, and do an xray looking for any fluid that may be leaking through where it's not supposed to be.

Pulmonary function tests are pretty standard. they will make you breathe into a machine and test your breathing with a respirologist. You'll have breathing exercises to do before surgery with a piece of equipment called a spirometer - it will help you to not get pneumonia (you are at risk after surgery for this so you have to do the exercises to open up your airways and prevent infection).
I have a pic on my website if you want to see a spirometer.
Dawn
Old 08-09-2007, 08:41 AM   #12  
Old Cackler

my spirometer and i were joined at the hip for awhile. it's an annoyance that HAS TO BE DONE!!!!! it works great. it's simple. but i hated having to do it.

but using it as instructed was the right thing to do, so i had to dump the attitude and just do it!!!
Old 10-09-2007, 02:28 PM   #13  
8 yr Post-Op User

S/C/G: 287/194/170

Height: 5'5

Wow this seems so intense. I am having surgery on Oct 15th and I am feeling a little scared. I dont want to die. I asked my doctor for his mortality count and he said "one", but the patient had HIV and many other complications, he said this was sort of the last hope. I am anxious to be done with it and be post op but at the same time I'm afraid.
Being Simply Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:17 PM   #14  
Old Cackler

being - i'm checking out all your posts, and it seems like you have a lot of questions and concerns. LET EM OUT, darlin! we'll listen to you.

from one joisy girl to another, where's your surgery? who's doing it???