Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-03-2007, 10:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default "Rules of the Pouch"

Those of you who have had the RNY, would be interested in what you think of the "Rules of the Pouch". I won't post the whole article because of length, but will leave the link .www.gastricbypassfamily.com/PouchRules. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Last edited by nanj; 08-03-2007 at 10:14 PM. Reason: double signature
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:09 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

nan - the link doesn't work. is it possible that gastric bypass family is a registration site?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:49 AM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

You have to go to the main page and there is a small link at the top
I'd love your input on this jiff especially with the amount of time between drinking and eating and also the length of time a meal should take
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

I'd love JP's input also. Everything that I have been told and read, doesn't say anything about loading you pouch with water, in fact just the opposite. Interesting take on the water thing, but is it true?
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:28 AM   #5  

I don't know whose "published work" this is, but I don't agree with it all - that is for sure. I really hate those "pouch rule" lists to begin with - it just seems so degrading. There are certain rules yes that you live by, but creating a 25 page list is unnecessary as there are not really that many rules to live by in my opinion.

This is one surgeon's take -- and who is it? How old is this list? "rules" that were in place five years ago are different than ones now. Surgeons learn new things just like the rest of us.

The things that I don't agree with:

1) That we need to eat raw or slightly cooked vegetables. I grill veggies and cook them well.
2)Eating all meals in 5 to 15 minutes. Absolutely NOT!! In fact, the longer we take to eat the better --- it is essential that we chew properly and it takes about 20 minutes of eating until our brain gets that "full" signal. To rush through a meal, is really dumb for WLS patients. I've NEVER heard that before at all.
3) No liquids for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. My surgeon told me 30 minutes. That's a big difference in my opinion.
4) I also disagree with the "water loading" theory. I agree with drinking water and it helping to make you satiated during the course of the day, but NOT before a meal.

This "paper" just seems to outline all these different rules. perhaps this is one surgeon's beliefs. Go with your particular surgeon not by some arbitrary list created by who knows who.

My Simple Pouch Rules

1) Wait 30 minutes after eating to drink, don't drink 5 minutes before. (Do I sometimes have a sip of hubby's pop or drink - yes).
2) Limit carbs, focus on protein and water throughout the day.
3) Exercise

Those are my "rules".

Dawn
*stefani* is offline   Reply With Quote