Old 07-30-2007, 10:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/215/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Why isn't this diet more popular?

This is by far the best diet I've ever been on, and I've been on a few. I LOVE it!! Why isn't it more popular? We get very little traffic on this forum.

I've lost 10 pounds so far! I lost 7 on the first 8 days of wave 1, but then on day 9 we started moving to the house that we bought and were living in too much chaos to shop and cook and then I went out of town and was doing a lot of stressful, physical work so we agreed to drop the diet until I got back to town. Then we took ANOTHER week off because we weren't organized, oy. We finally started up again (went straight to wave 2) a week ago and I lost 3 more pounds. WOO HOO! I feel great, plenty of energy, and I love the food. We're also enjoying shopping and cooking together--we used to eat out a lot, or when we cooked it would be just him in the kitchen and I'd just eat. Now, I help with the prep and will prepare some of the simpler dishes on my own.
twnkltoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/ST/140

I don't know much about this diet, but wondered if it's geared around certain types of food if it's something that you could stick with long term. I always struggle with diets that restrict certain things for long periods of time and sometimes even for ever (no carb diets, etc.)
If you find something that works for you then that is all that matters.Best of Luck and success in your weight loss journey.
Lots of folks are gung ho about the new Alli diet right now. I see it everywhere I go.
Tiffanie
TRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Which diet are you referring to ? Sonoma diet or Mediterraen diet?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:41 PM   #4  

Well, specifically Sonoma...didn't think to specify, but the question really applies to both.

TRowe, no it does not restrict you except that you're not allowed to eat refined grains or sugars. Definitely something you can do healthily your whole life--that's part of the premise. I'm very happy with it and will stick to it, but was just curious as to why it's not more popular.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:52 PM   #5  
it's always something

Jennifer, I've asked myself the same question many times. The Sonoma diet seems more balanced and delicious than most. I don't understand why it never took off like some of the other diets.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:21 PM   #6  
aka Linda

S/C/G: 218/200/150

Height: 5'9'

I think it may not have taken off because it has the appearance of being labour intensive...the recipes may be daunting for some. It also eliminates all junk food...so no WW faux chocolate mousse or low fat potato chips.

I love it...the food is great, I am learning about and using new ingredients and I am losing weight without suffering at all! I also have daughters and feel it important not to "diet", I think adopting a healthy diet, not obsessing about calories and not eating special diet food send a healthy message to my girls to take care of themselves and honour thier bodies.

Just my two cents...
Linda
aerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:26 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

From what I can see, I AM basically doing this diet. I think lots of people here are in fact. It's just that I call it calorie counting making those calories tasty and nutritious using fresh ingredients. Lots of protein, vegetables and good carbs and FLAVOR.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:07 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I think Aerie is right. I read the book and it seems like a lot of work and requires a lot of ingredients that I don't happen to have on hand. I really like the general idea, and would use some of their recipes on occasion.

I just made up my own diet using what I always eat, but modifiying it for fat content and portion size.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #9  

It does take some planning and effort! Part of the whole thing is slowing down your lifestyle and I guess a lot of people aren't interested in doing that, or feel like they can't. It's forced me to slow down, which is great. I also have to be dilligent about planning ahead! However, I find that the planning helps me to stay focused and motivated. I'm always thinking about what wonderful food we're having next!
Old 08-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I spent two hours this morning working on my produce! That slowed me down for a while.

The Sonoma book that I read was the cookbook. I ordered the diet plan from the library, but it never came. You have inspired me to try again.

I was interested in the Sonoma diet because my parents lived in Sonoma. This was quite a few years ago when it had more of a small town atmosphere.

I have been kind of doing my own thing with assistance from the Volumetrics diet book. Right now, I am pretty much slavering for a blue cheese/steak wrap that you mentioned. I. love. blue. cheese.

In fact, I have my own version of blue cheese salad dressing which I thought I would make this morning. I know I only have a few crumbs left and I keep it in the freezer, so I can't eat it so easily....but wouldn't you know, I couldn't find it. I was like an addict looking for drugs going through that freezer.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:20 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

This is a good question, especially since this is one of the few diets that lets you drink wine on a regular basis. I moved about a year ago and got a new job and got stressed out and off track....... you know how that goes. I decided that I would try this to get back on track. It is one of the healthiest diets which can easily be done over a life time because it is based on eating real food. It is a bit more expensive to buy all that healthy food and it is more time consuming.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:13 PM   #12  

We were eating out a lot before this diet, so we actually save money doing it! Fell off the wagon while on vacation (Alaskan cruise), but I only gained 2 pounds so I'm pretty happy. Getting back on track this week!
Old 08-21-2007, 05:52 PM   #13  

WINE???? Wow I've never heard of it but am suddenly interested, LOL.

Honestly, popularity has a lot to do with ad dollars, exposure and PR, don't you think? I used to work in an advertising agency - it's all about "message saturation" (brainwashing) and all that.....I can believe that there's a lot of things that are good but not widely known.

I wouldn't call it "upopular" as much as "unknown." They need a good ad campaign!
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:15 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Yes, after the first 10 days one glass of wine with dinner is encouraged due to the heart healthy benefits. In fact, in the cookbook, they even make wine suggestions for the meals. Of course, it isn't required. Yes, a good ad campaign might be helpful.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:51 PM   #15  

OK well thanks everybody, just ordered a copy of the book from half.com for $3.75! Looks real interesting.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote