Old 07-25-2007, 07:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/233/170

Default Coming out of Lurkdom with an exercise question

I'm not exactly new here as I've been reading this particular forum for years now, but I've never posted. However, now I have a question and I'd love to hear your input.

I'm 24 and I weight 233 lbs which is actually my lowest adult weight (I weighted almost 280 lbs few years back) and I really need to do something about the shape my body's in. Yesterday I had to do some walking up some hill, nothing difficult really, but I've felt like I'm dragging an adult elephant behind me. I can't really go on like this, but I don't really know where to start with exercise because I feel pretty bad moving if it's faster then my "dog walking" speed.

How did you start exercising? How did you feel at the beginning? Did anyone else feel like dragging an elephant behind them? When did this stop? Did you make a visit to your doctor before starting with exercise?

I'd really appreciate if you could answer some of my questions.

Thank you and have a nice day.

PS: I'd like to add that I apologise for my English, as it is not my first language I'm bound to make more than one mistake quite often.
MissKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

First of all, your English is phenominal considering its your second language! I didn't even notice until you pointed it out.

Exercise is bound to hurt at first. It's because your body's so out of practice. You're going to huff and puff and wheeze. Your arms are going to ache; your legs are going to ache. All until you get used to it. Your body's an amazing machine; it will adapt and overcome...always.

I would start out with walking. Just set aside 30 minutes and walk at as quick a pace as you can manage. It will hurt the first few times, but before you know it, you'll be walking at that pace like it's nothing. After that you can increase it to intervals of walking, running, walking, etc.

Congrats on your weight-loss so far and I'm glad to meet you!

Last edited by MarinePrincess; 07-25-2007 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo!
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/188/120

Height: 5'3

hello misska i started off with walking around the block. you could walk your dog. it will be good for you and i bet he will love it. i started slow and worked my way up to doing Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds exercise dvd. she has many of them from 1-5 miles. exercising does not have to be so hard you don't wanna do it. the important thing is your moving and that burns calories. you can do it set goals for your self it helps. and most of all don't give up!!!!

adah
milleradah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:51 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi there!!! I'm glad we've pulled you out of lurkdom. Please post often on any and every topic. Participation is a lot more fun and IMO way more valuable, so please jump right on in.

I'll second or should I say third what the above ladies said. I started out just plain old walking. And slowly at that and for only 15 minutes at that. I gradually increased my length of the walk and the speed. Go at your own pace and increase as you are feeling more up to it, maybe pushing yourself just a little bit.

I'll also second Leslie Sansone and the Walk Away the Pounds DVD's. They're excellent. I have the 1,2, and 3 mile express packaged set. They are extremely easy to follow and quick.

I also added in some strength training, which I think is vital. I use very inexpensive resistance bands. It''s a great way to add some much needed muscle.

I did actually go to the doctor before I started my weightloss journey. I wanted everything checked out so to speak. It was just one more way for me to face facts and take the plunge into a healthy lifestyle.

Congratulations on your weightloss. You must be thrilled!!! What type of food plan are you following? Sticking to your plan and adding in exercise should surely help to get rid of that elephant you feel you are dragging around in no time at all.

I wish you continued success and look forward to hearing more from you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:54 AM   #5  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKa View Post
How did you start exercising? How did you feel at the beginning? Did anyone else feel like dragging an elephant behind them? When did this stop? Did you make a visit to your doctor before starting with exercise?
Hi Misska

I started exercising a year and half ago. I started out on a treadmill and I could barely do a mile at 1.5 at first. I totally felt that elephant behind me. I eventually was able to go 4 miles at 3.5 miles per hour. For the last year I have been at Curves (a gym for women) and I do a hard 30 to 45 minute workout 4 days a week. I also do exercises at home with resistance bands and an exercise ball.

If you can walk at all that is the best thing for your body to get you started. Just do what you can and try to increase a little at a time.

Yes, see a doctor before you begin. Especially if you haven't seen a doctor in awhile. You need things like your blood pressure taken before you begin to push your body farther then it has gone before.

Good luck and stop lurking.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:55 AM   #6  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi,
I bought an elliptical last year, and for the most part it sat gathering dust, the few times I got on it, I was dead after 2 minutes, but in May I found the inner strength to do this, I started slow first 3 minutes, then 5 minutes in 2 wks I was up to 10 minutes until now I do 31 minutes on it. So I suggest you do it slowly and little by little increase it, until you feel right.
No I didn't go to a doctor( I don't have health insurance), but read tons of information, and added things slowly, I am beginning to do crunches now, and I also lift free weights( something I did in my younger days).
Congrats on the weight you have all ready lost!!!
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:28 AM   #7  

First of all thank you for all your aswers.

I'm doing nothing special about my weight, that's why I seriously need to start moving, I've been on 233 lbs for a year or so now. I actually think my body rebeled and decided I'm not suppose to weight even more then I do now and for a while I wasn't really able to eat normally at all, was living on yoghurts and such things. That's one of the reasons I don't really have all the energy I think I should have, weighting less then I did years ago. I've lost some weight when I was 17, exercising every day and was about the same weight as now, but if I remember correctly I could do much more and was differently shaped also. But that could do something with the fact that I'm older too.
I walk around for 30 mins a day, I think, my Dad and I usually walk the dog (Ela) together at evenings. I'm building up a courage to start cycling but something is holding me back. I guess now that I've put that down I'll have to start and be done with it.

You'll probably hear from me often as I need to overcome my shyness to and let that bubbly person inside me out.

Have fun and tnx
Old 07-25-2007, 09:25 AM   #8  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I have only exercised three times so far. Yesterday I felt like there was a brick wall in front of me that I had to push through....like something was holding me back. It was so hot and I just wasn't into it at all. But I made myself do it. And all the time I was thinking, "this really sucks", but I kept going. I am hoping it will get easier. My legs hurt really bad last night too, but this morning they are fine. I am only doing about 15 minutes right now, that is all I can handle. I imagine I will be at 15 minutes for quite a while, but hey, I have to start somewhere don't I? And so do you. Start out slow and just do what you feel you can. It will really speed up your weight loss!!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:57 AM   #9  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Misska! I'm glad you decided to come out of lurkdom. Please post often as we'd love to get to know you better.

In my opinion, walking is one of the best exercises....you don't have to buy lots of fancy equipment and you don't have to pay any fees to some fancy club. When I first start my walking program, it is rough. Sometimes I feel like I have to throw up. But, this only lasts for a 2-3 days. You can do this...just start with a manageable amount of time and try to add to that time each day. It also helps to make sure you get just a little bit breathless....which might not happen with walking the dog.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:18 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Hi misska!!

I agree with everyone else -- walking is a wonderful exercise and the best way to get started. You can always move on to other things later, but walking is the best way to get your body moving. I started about a year ago with walking 20-30 minutes a few times a week, and then I started increasing the length of my walks and adding in a few more each week. I eventually started using other machines at the gym for variety, like the elliptical, and I got into running in September. I started very slowly, but I fell in love with it. I ran 13 miles today. Last year at this time, I weighed 275 and had trouble walking. So that shows that you can make a HUGE change by starting out with walking. You do get sore at first but that goes away and it becomes easier. It also becomes addictive!

I'd also like to say -- your English is fantastic. I wouldn't have known English is not your first language at all. Quite a few native speakers have errors all over the stuff they write. Heck, I make errors and I'm an English teacher!! You have nothing to worry about!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:27 AM   #11  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

For me-- I'm just getting back into it. I know how you feel. I am 24 and 245 lbs. Exercise feels like death. My walks are not just straight down a flat path. I actually live in the middle of a steep hill. So no matter which way I walk I end up going up and down hill at some point.

I didn't go to the doctor- though they always say you should.

Good luck!
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:47 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 355/see ticker/265

Hiya misska,

like everyone esle has said start off slow and work your way up. The hardest part is being in the right mind set to do it. Mine is I like myself and I'm doing this for me. The second hardest thing is that 1st step after that the rest seem easy. I started at less then a mile after about a month I'm now around 3 miles and I have a push day where I push myself to see what I can really do. Like 6 miles in one day.
Outland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #13  

Up until about a month ago, I never did any real exercise. So starting it was quite hard. I decided one day that I wanted to lose weight, and since I am on a tight budget, I figure the cheapest way for me to do that was to start walking and counting calories. The counting was easy. The walking, on the other hand, took some practice. It HURT! It really did feel like I was dragging an elephant behind me...an exceptionally huge one. 4 weeks into it, it still hurts sometimes. But I can go faster and farther nowadays. And even though I sweat and huff and puff up those hills, I feel fantastic when all is said and done. Don't get me wrong, some days I still feel like the elephant is clinging...but most days it feels more like a hippo...still there, but smaller in size.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #14  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Welcome, MissKa!!!! Since you are already walking 30 minutes a day, I'd find ways to continue to make it a little harder for yourself each week. You mentioned hills - that is a great way to mix up your routine and build endurance. You can also try walking as fast as you can (where you start to feel like it would be more comfortable to run or jog -- this is the speed I try to walk). Another way is to add to the time and distance of your daily walk. You can also move your arms more, keeping your elbows bent as it increases your heart rate.

As for other types of exercise, as mentioned by others, I purchased resistance bands and was pleasantly surprised how well they work. I also have made small changes like taking the stairs when I can, walking instead of driving (I live in California where even the healthy people choose to drive a few blocks rather than walk!), or simply walking up and down the stairs several times in my home.

You should be very proud of yourself for keeping off more than 50 pounds for over a year! As many of us who have lost this weight before and gained it back, that is no small accomplishment. I'm glad you posted and there is no need to be shy here! It is a very friendly and caring group of people and I find it a tremendous help as far as keeping me accountable.

I'm glad you are here and please come back and post!

P.S. - I agree with MarinePrincess; your English is so good I would never have noticed it wasn't your first language either.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:19 PM   #15  

Hey guys!

I thank you for the welcome and the advices. It helps to know that I'm not the only one who drags the elephant and even more that it will eventually become a cute little baby elephant and then leave forever. Hopefully.

You're right, walking the dog won't do it, exept for today when we walked faster and farther then usual... I felt dead tired afterwards. Can't wait until I feel I could keep moving around all day and not die. Sorry, I know I'm being over dramatic. On the plus side, I've been admiring ladies here who had started with walking and now run. I've always hated running, but the idea that I might be able to do it.. well a girl can dream a dream that can come true

Have fun