Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 07-17-2007, 11:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 224/212/140

Default Can one stop a lifelong history of bingeing?

I would love to hear some success stories. Right now, my bingeing is so out of control. I feel like I can't stop.

Is it possible to stop the yo yo dieting/bingeing cycle forever? I have stopped it for periods in my life, but I always seem to go back to food when the going gets tough.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions?
Ann72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

I often wonder myself if the cycle can be broken. I've been going through the same mindless cycle most of my life. For many years I was fortunate to have more health cycles than binge cycles, I would do really well for 6 to 8 weeks, then go on a day or two binge, but over the last few years, the health cycles have gotten shorter with much long times in between and the binge cycles are becoming more everyday occurances.

I unfortunately do not have any advice, but I do know the feeling. I guess just planning one day at a time.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:22 PM   #3  

Yep, there was a time around 4-5 years ago when my bingeing was so out of control I thought I would eat myself to death. As I look back I wonder how I didn't get like 10x bigger than I was, but I was big...
Let me tell you that going from a double digit size to a 4-6 right now (it took me about 2 1/2 years to even do that) you would think I have the cure, but I don't. I still have binge moments (really bad ones) However lately I have had more of an outlet (counselor) to talk to someone about these feelings that get piled up inside and what triggers my binges, because it still scares me and it could sabatoge my long term efforts toward being healthy. Bingeing/ overeating has been a way for me to cope with feelings of any kind. Its just an easy outlet for me. Boredom, anxiety, lonliness, sadness = food to me. It is such a complex disorder that I really want to find out how to quash it - but I accept that it will probably be with me forever. I love looking and eating healthy, but there is that dark side to me. However bingeing needs to be dealt with psychologically, because for me I had lost weight, but those urges and binge moments were (are) tripping me up. That's why I decided a month ago to get some counsel and it has been helpful so far.
As for the weight loss bit - it is so complicated yet so simple...find a plan that works for you whether it is food, exercise etc. Just make sure you exercise more than you eat! (I also used WW and then a personal trainer)
kazem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:39 PM   #4  

Thanks so much for your replies. I really appreciate knowing that I'm not alone in my struggles.

Kazem--Congrats on your progress so far. Isn't it scary that you could have come so far, yet still struggle with the binge monster? Makes me realize that there is no such thing as being recovered. THe goal is to stay on a constant road of recovery and try not to let yourself get off track too much. I am inspired, and I hope to have success like you.

Wildthings--Yup, one day at a time needs to be my new motto as well. In fact, I may have to take it one meal at a time right now. I hope we both find the right answers and move past this.

-Ann
Old 07-20-2007, 03:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 385/238/145

Height: 5'11"

I am struggling with the same demon. I feel that I don't know what is wrong with me.. but I can shut off that switch that says I'm full and just ignore it.. for what seems like forever. I just keep getting bigger and bigger. And as soon as I get a little success, it seems as though I need to sabotage it.
jaxnlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #6  

I'm with you there, Jax.

I hope we can both figure it out and move past it. We deserve better.