South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 01:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Harry Potter Fans

Okay, I thought someone else would do this, but I can't resist. I am so emotional today, waiting for the last book. I've been reading HP with my kids for almost 10 years, they have grown up with him, and I feel like he's one of mine too. I am anxious to read the book, but I dread finishing and knowing there are no more to come.
So,
Is Snape truly evil or is he loyal to Dumbledore, in which case, did Dumbledore set up his own death to protect Snape from Voldemort?
Is Harry one of the Horcruxes?
Most importantly, will Harry have to die?
What role will Neville play?
These are the hotly debated topics at my house. If it doesn't end well for Harry I will be devastated.
What are your thoughts?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #2  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

I almost cried one night when my DH started insisting everyone is going to have to die. He is right that it would almost make sense for Rowling to kill Harry so no one can try to continue the series. I will be devastated though. All I want is for Ron and Hermione to get married and live happily ever after.

I think Harry and Voldemort will both die in the end.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:53 PM   #3  

Jessie, you are breaking my heart.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #4  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 190/190/130

Height: 5'3

Default Harry as a Horcrux

I truely believe Harry is one of the Horcruxes and here is why:

1.) Voldemort has to murder to split his soul. Maybe Harry's parent weren't in the way but actually sacrifices.
2.) Harry can see into Voldemort's mind, feel his emotions, and has some of the same powers like talking to snakes. I don't think it's because powers were transferred with the curse but because a piece of the soul is in Harry.
3.) Voldemort probably figured that Dumbledore would eventually find and destroy the Horcruxes so why not put his soul in the one thing Dumbledore who never think to destroy - a living person.
4.) I'm not to sure but I think the prophecy said something along the lines of "as long as one lives so does the other?" Voldemort can't be destroyed as long as a piece of his soul is safe. Why not put it in your fated enemy? Then he can't destroy you without destroying himself.
5.) The Death Eaters are always yelling at Snape for not killing Harry when he's had so many chances. Maybe Snape knows Harry is a Horcrux and wouldn't dare destroy his boss's soul.

I had a few more but can't think of them off hand.

I have a feeling, in the end, Harry will have to destroy himself to finally destroy Voldemort. I'm really sad to see this series end. It was the one thing I could really look forward to year after year. And the movies are so great. Makes me want to be a witch and live at Hogwarts!
Old 07-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #5  
Allie

S/C/G: 225/210/135

Height: 5'5''

Oh chicks, you're making me emotional too!

I grew up with HP. I outaged him due to the rate of the books, but we were the same age for awhile there. I admit that I cry a lot reading books (I read Jane Eyre with a fresh box of tissues every year) but I've never cried so hard as the Order of the Phoenix. I almost don't want to see the movie because I know I'll just end up embarassing myself. I think I'll end up going with my boyfriend's friends (they're all Potter Heads, he's not) which will make it even worse!

Anyone doing any release parties? The band Harry and the Potters are doing a free concert a few blocks from my house and I'll be there. They're pretty interesting- two brothers who dress up like HP (one as year 2, the other as year 5.. I think) and sing songs based on the books. Really funny. They're local but they play shows all over the country... they're really popular in Atlanta.

And Jessie- I agree. All I really want is for Ron and Hermione to get together and have lots of bushy haired red heads with a penchant for mischief!
Old 07-06-2007, 02:59 PM   #6  

I'm attending a midnight party at Border's on July 20 to get my reserved book!!! I think they even hired a magician to come that night for the release party, think it'll be fun! But I'm giving it up for the first 2 days so my daughter can read it first before she goes to teen camp on Monday. Or I'll just read it while she's sleeping! I didn't want to buy 2 books but it'll be hard to not sit next to her and read it over her .
Old 07-06-2007, 03:18 PM   #7  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

I would never read the end first...I am not that kind of gal.

I am having a moral dilemma because we realized last night we're doing Backyard Bible Club every Saturday morning and won't be able to get our library copies until AFTERNOON! But I am thinking God is going to be more important than HP...

I should really dig into #6 and refresh my memory!

And is anyone else SO going to the movie on Wednesday when it comes out? I think I've been to every movie on opening day and I don't plan to miss this one!!

Is Harry and the Potters the band that sings "Rita Skeeter Better Shut Her Mouth Before She Gets in Trouble...."? My sister downloaded a bunch of HP songs one summer and we were hysterical over them.

J
Old 07-06-2007, 03:23 PM   #8  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I bought my tix for the midnight show of OOTP! I'm so excited Pre ordered with Amazon but looking for a book party to go to too!
OK!
1, Harry as horcrux: Not sure it does make sense but the Love that protected him from the avada kedavra surely would reject Voldemorts soul. Remember Quirrel couldn't even touch him without burning up
2. While I'm not a fan of Snape (shady beeep) I think he had an Unbreakable Vow with Dumbledore so that Malfoy wouldn't have to become a murderer. He can spot true evil (Much like Tom Riddle's evil when he was at school and came back wanting to teach) He is much savvier than that
3. Harry Lives! he has too thats just it
4 Neville I hope will kick some Lestrange butt! He has a true heart and has always been faithful to Harry.

Ron and Hermione Better frickin get married and make lil bushy haired redheaded Weaselys!
I also think Ginny will get to kick some butt I'm just hoping she survives
OH! and I think I know where the locket Horcrux is!
I'm so excited I could BOUNCE!
Kier
PS I cried like a baby in OOTP and HBP
Old 07-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 191/183/140

Height: 5'5

I'm way excited for the movie and book too! I've been re-reading the HP books through again since mid-June. I should finish the fifth one up in time for the movie.

I'm actually going to a costume party at a local bookstore for HP...how nerdy am I? For the fifth book, the boyfriend and I went as Gilderoy Lockhart and Winky. This time, I'm thinking Lupin and Tonks. Anyone have a good recipe for "diet butterbeer"?

Allie, I'm so jealous you've got Harry and the Potters coming! By the way, how's your ankle?

JessieW, saw your post from the daily chat! I actually live in the Fan too! But here's the kicker...I was born and raised not far from where you are now...an hour and half west of Nashville on I-40. Talk about a 1-2 switcharoo, huh?
Old 07-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #10  

Default Harry Potter

Stress!! I'm currently re-reading all of the books so I'll be prepped for 7. I can't wait!! I read that 2 main characters are killed. While it makes sense that she'd kill Harry, my husband keeps trying to reassure us both that she's not going to do that since it is a children's book. But I don't know, she's killed before.

I think that Snape is good and killed Dumbledore because he promised him he would if he had to.

I've told my husband that if she kills of Ron or Hermione and he finds out before me, I just want him to go ahead and give me the bad news. That way I can start preparing myself!!
Old 07-06-2007, 04:58 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 155/141/138

Height: 5'7"

Ok, I also love the Harry Potter books, but seem to have forgotten some things from the last book based on all of these posts. I have to pull it out (fast) and start rereading!

I do believe Dumbledore is dead - but he can still help Harry - the world is magical and anything can happen.

I do believe Ron and Hermoine will get together and stay with Harry through his journey, he needs both of them. Her for her brains and Ron for his friendship. Love saved Harry once and the love of his friends can do it again. Sadly in saying that I do worry about Ginny, I could more easily see JK killing her off than Ron, Hermoine, or Harry himself. They love each other and that is known whether Harry breaks up with her or not.

I also cried like a baby at the end of the last book - after I almost didn't finish. When the deatheaters were chasing Hagrid (after Dumbledore died) and I thought they may kill him as well I almost couldn't keep reading! Crazy isn't it?
Old 07-06-2007, 05:51 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 191/183/140

Height: 5'5

If Hagrid dies...I don't know what I'll do! Poor Hagrid's had such a bad life already!
Old 07-06-2007, 08:42 PM   #13  

Oh wow, I am so glad I'm not the only dork who loves Harry madly. Not that I'm not totally okay with my nerdiness, but it's nice to have company. Now that I've insulted you all, you raise some interesting points:

Jenny. Is totally dispensible. Sorry, that's just the way I feel.
Ron and Hermione, I'm not sure how I feel about them. The books have never convinced me why Hermione would like Ron. Who would pick Ron over Harry?
I hope Neville gets a moment of glory. I really think he and Jenny should end up together.
There are many arguments that support the Horcrux theory, but the prophecy actually is an argument against, I think. The prophecy in part is that "either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives." Which is a little obscure, but I interpret as one must die so the other can live. If Harry was a horcrux, the one must die so the other can die.
JK Rowling has never been afraid of the dark side, so I am really afraid of what she'll do to Harry. I just want to beg her, please, please, please let him live.

I just know as soon as the books are released, there will be all kinds of stupid news anchors blowing the plot, or I'll hear someone in line at the grocery store discussing it. I think it gets released in Europe first, so it'll surely be all over the internet. So I'm thinking I'll barricade myself in the house that weekend and just read and if I have to go out I'll wear earplugs. I am impatient so I will have to fight against reading the end first. And yes, the kids and I will be in line to see the movie the first day for sure.
Isn't it interesting how Harry Potter fans come in all ages?
Betty, who got to be Winky?
Old 07-06-2007, 08:50 PM   #14  
Allie

S/C/G: 225/210/135

Height: 5'5''

I think Hermione and Ron just make sense. Plus, Rupert Grint is SO much more attractive than Daniel Radcliffe. :P The whole Hermione- Ron thing just makes sense to me because I'm VERY much a Hermione (down to the bushy hair!). I dated a guy very seriously for 3 years who was very much a Ron (down to the red hair :P). We would probably be married now if not for an over 1000 mile geographical difference during most of the time we were together.

I also really hope Neville gets his moment. Poor kid.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:18 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/128/120

Height: 5'4

One thing I love about Harry Potter is it allows me to shine in all my geekdom glory - in public. Normally, I have to hide behind my attempts at a 'normal' facade. However, I will refrain from geeking out over Transformers or any Star Wars trivia and stick to the Harry Potter subject at hand....

Frankly, I will be angry and disgusted and using very bad language if she kills Harry. One of the things I enjoyed about the books was that (starting with Goblet of Fire) the endings were rather unpredictable. I stared in absolute shock and had to go back and re-read things when she killed Cedric. I was dumbstruck - how could Cedric die? Its a children's book!? I was even more furious when Sirius died - by that point I wasn't shocked that she killed someone but shocked that it was someone who had become one of my favorite characters and who was so important to Harry. (I'm still harboring some hard feelings about that). Frankly, by the time she killed Dumbledore, I saw it coming and wasn't very surprised. I think killing Harry would be a) too predictable - just look at all the speculation and b) would cause an insane amount of anger - I did not invest the time and effort into this series and these characters to have the primary one die. Now, we know that a main character will die - she's told us that much. But I hope she finds some way to surprise us and leave us feeling - despite losing a main character - satisfied and content with the end.

I have noticed that with each death, she's emphasizing that there are no ghosts or visits from the other side. Even when Harry's parents sometimes appear, she clear to state (usually via Dumbledore) that they are just visions or shadows or such - that its not really his parents spirits or ghosts. So I would be surprised if we see visits from Dumbledore (in the "use the force, Luke) kind of sense. If anything, Dumbledore has left Harry clues and information.

As far as Snape - I'm siding with Dumbledore on that. I fail to believe that someone as wise and powerful as he would be completely oblivious to Snape being evil. Especially when he so vehemently defends him to Harry.

OK, enough geeking out for now. Some of you are right though - its going to be near impossible to not overhear someone / somewhere giving away the ending so my husband and I will have to lock ourselves in the house and read it before we expose ourselves to the public. Regardless of what happens, I do not want the end spoiled.
Closed Thread