Goal! Have you reached your goal? Share your success story and celebrate your victory!

Old 07-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #1  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default I Made Up My Mind

Hey everyone!

Mine is a long story, but I'll try only to hit the highlights.

I was a little scrawny kid and teen. I never had to think about my weight or food. Then I hit my mid-20s, and I had an adult job that paid good money. That meant that I could eat and drink anything I wanted, any time. And so, I did. Soon I was 160 lbs.

I joined Weight Watchers--back in the old days before there were points--and lost 30 pounds. But I made my first big mistake: I didn't stay for Maintenance.

My story after that becomes one of slow weight gain with attempts now and then to lose. The gain was very slow, though--and so it crept up on me. Meanwhile, I gained success at my job--even more money for very expensive meals.

I moved, I got new jobs, I had relationships and break-ups, and all the while my weight was going up, then down a little, then up more. The "fat acceptance" movement only gave me an excuse to ignore my unhealthy weight.

But I knew this was not good.

So I tried to lose weight again. I tried different eating patterns and programs. They lasted for awhile. Then I tried exercise as the answer. I jogged around tracks, I rode a bicycle up hills and down, I joined a gym and used cardio machines and lifted weights. But somehow my calorie restriction and my exercise never coincided! I did find, though, that exercise alone wouldn't work.

The trouble was, I was thinking short-term through all this. When I did lose weight, I'd get down ten or twelve pounds, and then "something" would happen. A crisis. A new project. A change of some sort. Suddenly I would abandon my plan! And then I'd go back to my habits!

One day I was 198 pounds. I joined Curves. I lost a dozen pounds. I stopped watching what I ate--and started to gain them back. My mother passed away, and I could no longer fit into my nice clothes to go to her memorial celebration. I had to buy new size 20 clothing.

I decided this had to change.

So, last year I finally began counting calories in a serious way. I started logging everything in Fitday. I came up with a plan for calorie restriction, using my BMR, and for exercise. Hey, I KNEW how to diet! That wasn't the problem! There had been two problems in the past:
(1) not staying with the plan and
(2) thinking I would be done and could go back to my old habits.

This time, I got clear on both of those. I also joined a gym again and got trained in the equipment. I learned what I needed to do--and it was harder than I had hoped, but I was WILLING to do WHATEVER I had to do.

155 is not my final weight--but it's where I'm stopping for now. I need to try maintenance FOR REAL for awhile. And then, I'm planning to drop further. I'm 5'3" and I want to have my numbers in the "normal" range instead of "overweight." I'm thrilled no longer to be "obese"!

And, I haven't weighed this little in... well... 20 years. So it's like a new body to get used to!

Last edited by JayEll; 07-05-2007 at 06:44 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:49 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I am SO excited for you!

You are an inspiration to the rest of us who "know how to diet" but let life get in the way!

I think it is VERY smart of you to "try on" maintenance at this point! BRAVO!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:49 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

Way to go on the loss. And I bet you feel comfortable at 155. I am 5'4" and would like to try 150. I am sure I'll like it better than where I am now so I think I might stay for a bit too. I've already told myself I'll see how things are when I make it.

You are an inspiration. I do the diet now forget about it next month thing too. I've vowed to change and this time is working great so far!
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:56 PM   #4  
it's always something

Congratulations JayEll! I'm so happy for you I appreciate you sharing your experience with us, and we're so glad to watch you hit goal
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Congratulations!!

I'm so happy for you!! Please keep us posted on how maintenance at 155 goes for you -- I bet you do feel wonderful at that weight. It sounds like a great place to be!!

I know I'm only one of many people here who appreciate the wisdom of your posts in the Support Forum. Thank you for being an inspiration and for providing such wonderful support and encouragement! I hope you feel as wonderful about hitting your goal as you deserve to feel!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #6  
Meg

Jay! Welcome to the wonderful world of maintenance.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:32 PM   #7  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Congratulations!!

Your story spoke to me, that's for sure. I think that what clicked with you is exactly what clicked for me. And it also took me many years and many tries.

Like you, I'm okay where I am and am "unofficially" maintaining. This works for me because in my head, I'd like to lose another 5-10 lbs. but while that's not happening, do you know what is? I've been maintaining for two years and that's huge for me.

Mostly I'd like to say thanks for all your kind words. I know your name because I find then whenever someone new posts or just someone with a question or looking for support, you're almost always the first with some kind words or advice.

So thanks and congratulations!!
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #8  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations, Jay! I've been watching your weight drop since I first joined, and I'm thrilled to see you hit goal. Good luck with maintenance!
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

WOOHOO!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've got the right attitude for maintenance!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #10  

I also wanted to add that seeing you lose 43 pounds in only 8 months is wonderful! I'd like to be at 150 (which is a loss of 50 pounds for me) by April. That gives me 9 months. I hope I'm as lucky as you are! You have done an awesome job!
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:16 AM   #11  

S/C/G: BMI:32.1/27.1/24.6

I think many of us can relate to this post.

Congrats to you!
MissH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:54 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

Congrats on reaching goal!

Your story gave me, and I'm sure many others, lots to think about in our journeys.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:21 PM   #13  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Hey Jay, I just read your story...congrats on your weight loss. Your story makes me feel hope that I, too, with hard work can meet my goal. Thanks for sharing.
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:40 AM   #14  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Thanks jayEll for sharing your weight loss journey over the years. I think your an inspiration to many and showed many of us the pitfalls that can happen.

The changes we make have to be for a life time not for the time we lose weight. Learning to maintain will be a challenge for all of us to learn to master.
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:52 AM   #15  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Another one who just wants to say "thanks" for posting your story. You really ARE an inspiration. Maintenance is actually the "hard" part because we know we HAVE To make it permanent or it won't work...

Way to go!!!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote