Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-02-2007, 05:08 AM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Question Jiffypop - how did you do it?

Jiffypop -

I'm just browsing through some stuff (avoiding work, actually!), and came to this board because my dad is considering weight loss surgery.

However, looking at your stats, it seems as though you lost almost 100 pounds in four months BEFORE the WLS. That's amazing! So, I can't help asking how you managed to do it! And I have to admit, I'm also curious. If you could attain that type of weight loss, why did you even bother with WLS? Please feel free to tell me it's none of my business!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:01 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

Hi Laurie! - hope you don't mind that i made your question a separate thread. i didn't want the 'lunch ideas' thread to change to become focused on this issue.

i really hope you can get your dad over to this board to do some reading. and, in fact, the answers to your questions are actually around here somewhere. but in brief, my nearly 100-pound weight loss was the result of being put on a BIPAP [not just a CPAP]. i asked a number of docs why i lost so much weight so fast, and the only one who could give me a sensible answer was the pulmonologist: i'd been extremely oxygen deprived, and now that my system was finally getting enough oxygen, i had a metabolism.

and as for why i 'even bothered' with WLS, i'd gained and lost nearly 1000 pounds over my lifetime, so LOSING weight wasn't the issue. NOT REGAINING was the main reason i had it.

hope this helps - and send your dad over!!!

and a note for all of you who are now asking 'what's the difference between a BIPAP and a CPAP' - it's about sleep apnea. most people with sleep apnea don't inhale with enough pressure to keep their airways open, so they don't inhale enough air to provide enough oxygen. CPAP provides that extra little pressure boost on the INHALE.

some of us not only can't inhale with enough pressure, we also can't EXHALE with enough pressure to get rid of the carbon dioxide. SOOO, we get another pressure boost on the exhale. Two pressure boosts - and it's called BIPAP.

yes - i was EXTREMELY ill going into the surgery. i was considered VERY HIGH RISK going into it, and everyone was VERY surprised that i sailed through the surgery with no complications. others were not so lucky.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:03 AM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I will suggest to my dad that he should browse the site. I hope so badly his insurance agrees to pay for the surgery, as his health really depends on his ability to lose some weight.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:07 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

aaahhhh laurie - the answer to your questions are right there in front of you! 'his health really depends on his ability to lose weight.' and i suspect that if you asked him [or his docs] the next question - which would be along the lines of how can he keep it off when he's obviously 'hit the wall' as we say, you'll find out what he really thinks about this.

bottom line, this CAN work, and it HAS worked for many thousands of people. Unfortunately there are risks of both long- and short-term complications, and a risk of death. and your dad has to do his research and figure out what he can and can't live with.

we'll be happy to let him ramble and ask questions and rant and rave. BUT, bottom line, it's his decision, and he'll need all the support you can give him. you can do that - i can tell from your postings.

chin up, darlin! he'll make the decision when he's ready. even if it's a 'surgery is not for me,' there will be a decision.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote