Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-28-2007, 11:02 AM   #1  
We can do it.

S/C/G: 160/127/120

Default What to look for in healthy cereals

What do you look for in a healthy cereal? I am looking for something that is bite sized and tastes good. Is there any that ya'll think are great? Should I get one high in fiber? Suggestions?

Oh and I was unsure where to put this topic.
need2loseinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I like cheerios ... it's a sneaky finger-food way to get oatmeal. But they're rolypoly. I'd like some suggestions for a nice bite-sized one I could take in a baggy to work. To nibble while I chart.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:27 AM   #3  

I like to find cereals that have little as possible sugar, or at least no sugar (in any form) listed in the first 4 ingredients. My favorites so far are Wheat and Bran shredded wheat (Nabisco) and the Kashi Nuggets (Like Grape Nuts). I add my own fruit. Both of these have a lot of fiber, I try for at least 4 grams of fiber. I like the Kashi cereals the most. In fact, all the Kashi cereals are good, you can pick out the one you want to consider "bite sized"

In the colder weather I love my oat bran, cooked in water but adding some milk, raisins or dried cranberries. For a treat I'll have Cream of Wheat but no fiber in that.
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I look for high fiber and low sugar myself. I don't limit all sugar, but I don't do well with refined sugars in the morning. I really like Uncle Sam (wheat flakes with flax seed.) I always put fruit on it (berries, raisins, etc.) I like it, but if you like a sweeter cereal Kashi Go Lean seems to be popular too. It's not my thing (I'm not a fan of puffed cereal), but a lot of people like it.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #5  
I restore Teeth.

kashi autumn wheat is delicious
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:51 AM   #6  
hara hachi bu

I try to make sure that for every 15g of carb, there's 2g of fiber. I usually like Barbara's Grain Shop (often found in the organic section).

Veggielover, your quote made me laugh! Is there some story behind that?
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:03 PM   #7  
Christi

S/C/G: 187 / ticker / 130

Kashi Go Lean CRUNCH is little bite size (until you get to the last part of the box) clusters of whole grains. Great by theselves, great in yogurt!
Clue0983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #8  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I look for organic high fiber, low sugar and higher protein cereals. I have found many that meet the first 2 requirements and fewer that also offer significant protein.

Trader Joe's is a great place for cereals!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #9  
We can do it.

S/C/G: 160/127/120

We don't have a Trader Joe's anywhere around here.

Ya'll have given me many great choices to look at.
need2loseinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:28 PM   #10  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I mainly focus on the calories. I want a cereal that is around 120 calories per cup or less (per cup, not per whatever measely serving size the box quotes to try to make it look like the cereal is low in calories).

My second concern, almost equally as important, is that it be filling. The only to figure this out is to try it.

I eat my cereal stirred into nonfat plain Greek yogurt, rather than with milk, so the third requirement is that it taste good stirred into yogurt.

My current favorite cereal is High Fiber Cereal (yes, that's the name), which is Trader Joe's version of Fiber One (also another good choice for me). I also like the Flax Plus cereal (the flakes, not the granola, which is too high in calories).

I also like steel cut oatmeal on occasion (with a little milk, splenda, and cinnamon--not stirred into yogurt).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:29 PM   #11  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

High fiber and low sugar--or at least low sugar, and then I add my own fiber in the shape of fruits. And I stay AWAY from anything labelled as "cereals for kids", because they're usually laden with the worst kind of crap. (Poor kids...)
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I too just fell in love with Kashi Go Lean. I usually bring half a cup in to add to my yogurt. Very tasty. I also like to eat it plain. only 80 calories added to my yogurt if i use half a cup.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:40 PM   #13  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I eat a lot of Fiber 1 and bran flakes with skim milk.

BluetoBlue-I agree on the Calories per CUP and not what the box says for "per serving" that box says.
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:27 PM   #14  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Fiber One is awesome. It's filling, tasty, is 160 cals for a cup and has 13g of fiber. Add some berries to it and you've got yourself breakfast!
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote