Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-27-2007, 09:31 AM   #1  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Question Veggie Burger Recipes?

I'd like to start making my own veggie burgers. I've tried the popular store-bought kind and they just don't do it for me. Does anyone have any good recipes? Keep in mind I'm on a tight budget so I need something not too complicated with lots of ingredients (and not spicy, please)! Thanks!
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Recipe's from a friend............. (I haven't tried them)

Veggie Burger

1 TBLS canola oil, divided
1/4 c. EACH minced onion, green bell pepper, carrot, and celery
2/3 c. drained canned white kidney beans (cannellini)
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/3 c. seasoned dried bread crumbs

In 8 inch non stick skillet, heat 1 tsp. of the oil. Add onion, pepper, carrot and celery. Cook over med. heat, stirring occasionally, until veggies are soft and moisture has evaporated, about 1 minute. Set aside to cool slightly.
Using a fork, in medium mixing bowl mash beans, stir in egg. Add bread crumbs and veggie mixture. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Shape mixture into 4 equal patties. Set patties on plate and cover and refrigerate until chilled (at least 20 minutes)
In same skillet heat 1 tsp. of oil and add two patties. Cook over medium heat turning once until browned on both sides and heated through. Remove to plate, keep warm. Repeat with other patties.
129 calories
5g fat
5g fiber

Cheesy Black Bean Burger - it has meat in this one, maybe you could subsitute it with more beans or soy??

One 15 1/2 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 lb. lean ground beef(90% or higher) or ground turkey breast
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Preheat grill to medium. Place the beans in a large bowl and mash with the back of a large spoon until smooth but still a bit chunky. Add the beef, egg, cheese, bread crumbs and garlic powder and mix until well combined. Divide the beef mixture and shape into 8 patties. Place the patties on the grill and cook until no longer pink inside and an instant read thermometer registers at least 160 degrees F., about 4 minutes each side. Top with shredded lettuce and your favorite salso and enjoy!!
Each patty
200 calories
21 g. protein
8 g fat
11 g carb
8 g fiber
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:43 AM   #3  
LLV

You can also make veggie burgers from brown rice, lentils, garbanzo beans, oats, all kinds of yummy stuff.

Here are a few you might want to look at, it says they were judged best in contests, but I've never tried any of them.

http://pages.interlog.com/~john13/recipes/burgers.htm
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:16 AM   #4  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

Kidney Bean Burgers

Ingredients:

2-1/2 cups cooked kidney beans
1/2 cup oats
2 Tablespoons Braggs (or tamari or soy sauce)
garlic powder or fresh minced garlic, optional
onion powder, optional
oil
Directions:
Mash kidney beans. Add oats, Braggs, and seasonings.

Mix and form into patties. Fry in oil until brown on both sides.

The burgers like to fall apart, so I add a little oil or extra Braggs to the mix. We always top with 'normal' burger stuff like onions, tomatoes, pickles, etc

This is my FAV recipe and works so well...my whole family, veggies and non-veggies will all eat it and LOVE it. You can really adjust the seasonings to your liking and the ingredients are simple. You can also use black beans if you like. Try them...you LOVE them!. I like adding Taco seasing packets to them to make them soutwest. I use leftovers for tacos.
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #5  

Here is a link to an earlier thread on this .. lots of good stuff

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109496
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote