Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-21-2007, 04:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 385/238/145

Height: 5'11"

Default out of country for lapband?

I'm new and I've decided that I MUST have wls. I had considered it 3 years ago and started jumping (thru insurance hoops) but then found a wonderful nutritionist and began loosing weight naturally. I lost 85 +/- ( I couldn't weigh on a 'normal' scale when I was at my heaviest ) and now after 2 years, the weight is creeping back on. I feel like I'm at the end of my rope.
I've decided to pay for it myself. Has anyone gone out of the country for the band? Any suggestions at all?
Thanks.
jaxnlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:10 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

jax - i hope you don't mind. i moved your post to its own thread so that more people will see it and respond.

nice to meet you!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:38 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I've heard more horror stories then good stories about people going out of the states for surgery. Also its hard to find a doctor once you come back home to do your follow-ups and fills...be very careful if you do go to another country. Seems like they have many erosion problems as well... don't know why

There are doctors who will do it at a reasonable price here in the USA....have you checked out weight loss clinics?

Good luck !!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:43 PM   #4  

That sounds horrible!!! AAArgh! I've just booked my date. I still feel ok about it, though. I don't know if this makes sense, but I've been waiting to live for a really long time. I'm not going to wait anymore.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:43 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Where are you going Jax? and yes it does make sense to want to live... I think we can all relate to that

Good Luck !!!!!
Old 06-24-2007, 12:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

One of the big concerns for out-of-country surgery is follow-up close to home. Do you have a fill doctor lined up? Also, insurance has changed a lot in three years and might approve you now where they denied you before.

Either way, welcome aboard and good luck!
kfs151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:22 AM   #7  

I scheduled my surgery (actually, I double booked because I wanted to make sure it was going to happen). It is for this Saturday. I'm very nervous. I am using Dr. Aceves. He is in Mexicali, Mexico. That's on the border, just south of El Centro, CA. It will be about 3 1/2 or 4 hours for me. He does free fills for life, so I think I might just keep going down, until it gets to be too much of a pain. I haven't lined up a doctor here. It's all happening so fast- by my design. My main concern now is whether it will work. How have others dealt with changing their attitude about food? How have you guys dealt with stress and boredom without the comfort of food? I'm doing ok - and I'm under stress.. but I just worry about in the future.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:42 AM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Thats wonderful you are close enough to go back and get your fills.

I am still learning to deal with my addictions and attitude about food. I mean 40 something years of habits and eating one way isn't going to leave me that fast LOL. I'm out about 1 1/2 years and I should be doing better but I am happy with what I've lost so far. I would say ... don't worry about the future just take it one day at a time. The band will work...but like everything else...you need to follow the rules. Your gonna do just fine....keep thinking positive.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 262/218/145

Height: 5'4'

Again, good luck and I wish you much success. Like you, I made up my mind to just do it and I did and I'm happy six days post op.
As I said before, Saturday I'll say a prayer for you and you will be fine. Just believe in yourself.
One thing I'd like to ask is how long will you be in the hospital? Please stay at least one night and preferably two if you can.

Blessings.
Lolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:32 AM   #10  

Thanks, Lo.
Yes, I'm going Friday for the Pre-op and then to the hotel. Saturday Morning!!!! is the surgery and Sat night and Sun night stay in the hospital (with my mom) and then come home Monday. I'm a little worried about the ride home.. but I think I'll be fine. I'm very scared. My doctor sent me EMMI - has anyone seen it? it's quite neat, but the little program went through what to expect and what all the risks are - and it freaked me a little. It was all, "you could die" and "it might not work-you'll still be fat" and worst of all: "you could die fat." That truly would be the worst. (obviously the program didn't say that word-for-word, I'm paraphrasing - but the meaning is still there.)
I guess I'm a little scared, that's all. 2 more days!

Last edited by jaxnlula; 06-28-2007 at 01:06 AM.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:27 AM   #11  

Jax, I said my prayers for you this morning and was thinking about you bright and early. I'm so glad someone is there with you and I'm sorry I just got around to reading this post. Yes, we all had to go through the you might die and I just decided that OK, so be it, let's get this done. Do or Die. I knew I couldn't be happy the way I was and my family would tolerate me better if I could lose, because I sort of become a little *****y. If you know what I mean. Please post as soon as you feel like it and hopefully that ride back home won't be too bumpy. My ride home was 135 miles and my surgeon said it would take me about four days to get over it, but this ole lady bounced right back after one day. You can too.

Blessings.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Jax.... were're thinking and praying for you. Let us know how it went when your feeling up to it.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:16 PM   #13  

HI!!! You gals are wonderful!!! I am home. I am sore. I am an emotional wreck. But much better since I've been home. It seems the only time I slept is when they had me under the anesthesia. After I came out of surgery I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep. I actually came home a night early. And I got some sleep last night, so am feeling much, much better.
Everyone was very nice. But I am sure that you know it is still very stressful. I really appreciate all of your support. I'll check in in just a bit.. I'm going to go try to walk around a bit. I'm having a great deal of gas pain and they say "walk, walk, walk" so that is what I intend to do. My mom is picking me up to take me to the grocery store, because it is too hot to walk outside (I live in Phoenix, aka the surface of the sun).
Old 07-03-2007, 08:57 AM   #14  
Moderator & Happy Chick

COOL !!!! she's home

I'm glad everything went well... NOW you can get on with life WHOOOT!!!! Yes for gas use gasx or a heating pad but mostly WALK !!! I slept the first few nights in my recliner and that helped alot with the gas pains.

CONGRATULATIONS

Old 07-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #15  

Jax, there's a new gas medicine that you melt on your tongue and I've been using it and it's wonderful. Still made by GasX but it goes on your tongue.
Walk so that you won't get blood clots. Soooo glad you're back home. Take it easy for a spell. That's what I've been doing. Had my hair done for the first time today and it feels wonderful.

Blessings.