Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-16-2007, 08:59 AM   #1  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Default Mexico Lindo

So tonight I'm doing a "girls night out" thing. Haven't done one of those in a year and a half! We are going to a restaurant called "Mexico Lindo". Apparently it is a chain, and the one we are going to is brand spankin' new. So the menu isn't up on menulizard.com yet. But a menu from another close by one is. There are two choices for salads:

1. Pollo a la Parilla Ensalada
Served in a crispy flour shell topped with grilled chicken, lettuce, black beans, ranchero cheese, sour cream, diced tomatoes and avocado slices

2. Fajita Salad
Chicken or steak served in a crispy flour tortilla with iceberg lettuce, onions, peppers, cheese, guacamole, sour cream and salsa Mexicana or with our delicious marinated sauce

Obviously I won't be eating the tortilla shell. I think those taste kinda gross anyway (probably cause there's no salt haha). So what sounds better, 1 or 2? I'm thinking 1 with no sour cream and salsa for dressing. On WW, I'm guessing that is maybe 8 points - 3 for chicken, 1 for beans, 2 for cheese, 2 for avocado. As for calories, I can only see the those things really factoring in. Think its a good choice?

They automatically bring you chips and salsa when you arrive, so I'm going to have to resist that!

Of course, I hope the menu for the one we are going to is the same, but I'm sure if it isn't exact it must be similar!

Last edited by modkittn; 06-16-2007 at 09:08 AM.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Modkitten--you've probably eaten the dinner by now--but I guess I would have gone with the chicken also, as you describe it. It's really hard to know how much you're getting anyway, but leaving out the sour cream is probably a good idea. I don't know whether I'd be able to say no to the avocado. In any case, good for you for having a plan!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 227/142/135

Height: 5'5"

When we go for Mexican, I always get one chicken quesadilla and a side of rice. I have no idea how 'bad' it is, but I always guesstimate that it's around 600 calories and plan my day around it. I also resist the chips at the table! Your first option sounds good!
MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:47 PM   #4  

Well yes, I ended up having the salad I wanted, and there were only 2 avocado strips, so I ate those too There were more black beans than expected as well, so I ended up adding 2 extra points. Stuck to my plan and I feel good about it!

Last edited by modkittn; 06-17-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

Wow!! more power to you, mexican food gets me everytime. I like the whole experience,I have no control with mexican food, and margaritas. Gets me everytime!!!
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:58 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY View Post
When we go for Mexican, I always get one chicken quesadilla and a side of rice. I have no idea how 'bad' it is, but I always guesstimate that it's around 600 calories and plan my day around it. I also resist the chips at the table! Your first option sounds good!
Depending where you go, chicken quesadilla can be extremely high in calories.

For instance, Chili's says their chicken quesadilla has nearly 1800 calories. On The Border says their chicken quesadilla has nearly 1500 calories. Other popular restaurants have similar calorie counts.

I've never had a quesadilla in a restaurant but I've made them at home using small corn tortillas and 2% cheese and still that is 300 calories. Some of the flour tortillas can have nearly 300 calories alone then add full fat cheese and chicken.

My choice for mexican restaurants really depends. If it is a place with a salad, I'll have a salad with grilled meat. Other places, I kind of pick and choose what I can although I generally avoid things with high fat items such as guacamole, sour cream, cheese and anything fried. Although depending on my mood, I might have a dab of guacamole

Oh and in a few weeks, I'm going to go for a quick day trip on the other side of the border and my plan is to not follow my plan. I'm looking forward to big bowls of beans, rice, lobster tails and tortillas Although I might show some restraint toward the tortillas and rice, they tend to have lots of fat in them.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

I'm always amazed by how fattening and caloric mexican food is. In the past, I've stayed OP best when I go and get a single taco or some such and replace the beans and rice with a side salad.

I've checked out the calorie counts for things like fajitas and tacos... just amazing.

I was also shocked when I realized that basic burritos at Chipotle are over 900 calories -- that's just the tortilla, rice, beans, chicken and tomato salsa. No cheese or sour cream!

Check out this Chipotle nutrition calculator for more info!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #8  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Hi
I just wanted to add, flour tortillas are way more in calories than corn tortillas, so when ever possible eat something with corn tortillas, black beans are great, Crema fresca( mexican sour cream ) is loaded with fat, I cook central american food alot, and use fat free sour cream instead. Pico de gallo is great, rice is sometimes fried after it is cooked with a little oil, or even lard. Some refried beans are low fat or fat free( I make my own.
I am sorry for going on, I just love cooking. lol
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:27 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Usually when i go to eat mexican i like to get one hard taco and rice on the side. anybody know how much one taco generally runs in mexican places??? And the rice, if anyone knows.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #10  
Just Me

It would really depend on the place and the ingredients. What kind of meat in the taco? is there cheese? sour cream? It could range from 200-500 calories for one hard shell taco and rice would depend on how big the serving. A small serving could be 150 calories or if they used a lot of oil, a small serving could be over 200.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

A good taco has somewhere in the range of 350 calories.

A Taco Supreme at Taco Bell has 220 calories, according to their website.

Rice? Dunno.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:53 AM   #12  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

If I were doing mexican...I'd probably just end up at Taco Bell because they have a few items that are pretty low calorie-wise....I mean if you're going there for a bigger meal and you're spared the calories. I know their Spicy Chicken soft taco is pretty low....so for like 450 calories you could get 3 I believe..(if my memory serves me right) Of course their chicken is better than the beef...the beef is soooo full of fat!

Can't say as I'll be doing that any time soon because I have a soft spot for Taco bell and if I do it once...I'll begin doing it too often. Maybe once I get my weight down...someone could pick one up for me while they're out so my portions were limited, but that's it.

Kudos to you for sticking to your plan! I always eat avacado or guac if it's offered...generally there isn't sour cream added or anything..in TRUE guac...so you're getting GOOD fats from veggies. My own humble opinion...if it grows from the ground/trees/on the ground I don't feel guilty eating it.
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:28 PM   #13  

Don't forget that at Taco Bell you can ask for your tacos "Fresco" style to save on some calories.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:35 PM   #14  
Just Me

As far as I'm concerned, there is only one good thing at Taco Bell and that is their bean burrito. Mmmm bean burritos.

I looked up the Bean burritos at Baja Fresh, one of my favorite places and the entire burrito is 900 calories. Luckily, whenever I've had a burrito at Baja Fresh, I always cut it in half and only eat half. It is so good though.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:41 PM   #15  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

If I'm gonna have a bean burrito, I buy fat free vegetarian refried beans and make my own burrito. Cheaper and not as many calories.MMMMMM..I LOVE mexican! I think I'm having Enchiladas tonight.
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote