Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-14-2007, 03:18 PM   #1  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Default Minor illness and weight loss

I have been averaging 1400 cals a day since the middle of May. I have changed my exercise, though not the total number of minutes each week (I am trying running). I have stayed between 154.5 and 156.6 the whole time. Very frustrating.

During this time, I have had a sinus infection. I finally broke down and started antibiotics. I mentioned the weight thing to my doc. He said that if your body is working on an infection that is not so serious that it causes you to lose weight, then you probably won't see any results unless you get extreme.

Anyone else experience this? When he was saying it, I swear it seemed like he was just making it up as he went along.
onthetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #2  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

I don't know how true it is.

On my second week of a weight loss plan, I got a stomach flu and for almost a week had no appetite. I forced myself to eat (a bit) but was very low calorie..
and at the end of the week i had GAINED 1lb!!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:49 PM   #3  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

And quite the opposite for me... when I had that stomach bacterial infection, I couldn't eat ANYTHING without extreme pain. So for a long time, I drank Slim Fast (it was all I could stand, & sometimes that hurt too! )

I lost 5 pounds that month.

Found it since then, doggone it!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:31 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey onthetee,

I don't know what your doctor was talking about, but if I were in your position I would lower my calories so you're averaging 1300 cals a day instead of 1400 and see how that goes for a week or two. That would be after you finish your antibiotics.

Also, averages can be deceiving if you're going too high on one or two days a week. For me, a day of high calories will stall my weight loss for the week.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:06 PM   #5  
Accepting who she is

Jay, thanks. I am not going over 1500 typically. I MIGHT have a 1600 day, but rarely. I have not been over 1600 since 5-28. It took a while to hit my groove and get all my foods in cal-count. I switched from WW to cal counting, and the first few weeks were very, uh, variable.

I called doc to get more info. He said that when you have something that produces an inflammatory response, your BMR may drop close up to 200 cal/day because your body is conserving energy in case it has to go to all-out war with whatever has invaded you. *shrug*
Old 06-15-2007, 06:26 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

That's very interesting! So if one's daily burn was 1700, it would drop to 1500 if inflammation is present. And so eating 1500 would be breaking even.

I'd never heard of this! I think I'll check it out further...

Jay
Old 06-15-2007, 08:09 AM   #7  
Accepting who she is

Have you read You: On a Diet. It talks about inflammatory response and how it interfers with weight loss (not this specific discussion) and how being overweight contributes to inflammation.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Totally off topic, but onthetee, I LOVE your signature! That is so me. . .I eat wonderful food, very nutritious, just WAY too much!
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:58 AM   #9  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

Hi onthetee!
Superinteresting about the infection/weightloss information your doctor gave you. I guess it makes sense. Maybe it seems like your weight loss is going slow but remember that it's only been about a month and these things take time. Also it looks like maybe you don't have as much weight to lose as others and it will come off a bit slower. Be patient, it sounds like you're really informed and that's always a good thing. Good luck!
Tam
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:54 PM   #10  
Accepting who she is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-Bee View Post
Totally off topic, but onthetee, I LOVE your signature! That is so me. . .I eat wonderful food, very nutritious, just WAY too much!
I am raising kids who are confused about white pasta and who believe that fruit IS dessert. What I am learning is that even if it is whole wheat pasta, it still has calories. Brown rice? Still has calories. Eggs from locally grown, grass-fed, deeply-loved chickens? Calories. Same story for our locally produced gourmet ice cream.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #11  
Accepting who she is

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneggsandtam View Post
Hi onthetee!
Superinteresting about the infection/weightloss information your doctor gave you. I guess it makes sense. Maybe it seems like your weight loss is going slow but remember that it's only been about a month and these things take time. Also it looks like maybe you don't have as much weight to lose as others and it will come off a bit slower. Be patient, it sounds like you're really informed and that's always a good thing. Good luck!
Tam
Wow, thanks for the encouragement.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:15 PM   #12  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Well, I`ve just spent two weeks with amoebic dysentery. I didn`t lose 25 pounds like last time, but I would bet around 10. Most will come back soon since yesterday I started eating and drinking normally. By Monday I want to start running again. I think next week I`ll weigh myself...

I would not recommend it as a weight loss plan.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

archy!

I'm glad you're feeling better! That is NO FUN and very dangerous!

Jay