Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 06-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 168/190/125

Height: 5'4"

Question Question!

I am 21 weeks pregnant, and i was wondering is it safe to use bug repellent, and if so, what? I don't want to use anything that will harm me or the baby.
tweetyandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:10 PM   #2  

Hi Krissie!

I use Skin So Soft. I'm not sure about the chemically ones, but I figured since that one was a cosmetic product and not a bug repellant, it was okay.
tamibeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I looked it up, and the most common ingredient in many bug repellants is called "DEET". Some articles and studies say that it is okay, and others say it isn't (no studies have reported any harm to babies, just in animals) so I would advise against using products that contain DEET.

However, there are natural bug repellants that are fine to use. Some of them contain citronella, eucalyptus, and other natural repellants that are safe. I don't know if you have any near you, but Burts Bees sells an all natural repellant that is safe to use. Other than that, I would recommend Avon Skin So Soft OIL...in the original scent. Don't use the Skin So Soft repellants, or the other scents of their lotions. You want the original Skin So Soft oil formula. You can also burn citronella candles/torches in the yard when you are outside to repel bugs.

Hope that helps some...
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

When I was pregnant, I was scared to use DEET products because there are some studies that say they may possibly cause birth defects. We went camping one weekend in July, though, and I also didn't want to get a mosquito bite (West Nile virus!). I found these citronella patches in the store and used those instead. I didn't get any bug bites, so I guess they worked!
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:03 AM   #5  

My doctor says that repellents are safe, but I chose not to use them (I'm not really outside that much anyway). I'd second the Skin So Soft recommendation over anything containing Deet though.
iowasteph2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 168/190/125

Height: 5'4"

Thanks ladies!
tweetyandme is offline   Reply With Quote