Old 06-11-2007, 12:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/264.9/175

Height: 5'9"

Default I am a chocoholic(long whine)

I have started this thread three times over the past several days - I am not sure what I am asking. I guess I am asking for help.

Last year I lost 35 pounds. I was really motivated for a few reasons (not the least of which was my son's wedding). It didn't take me long to gain it all back after the wedding - Every morning I start out with good intentions, - I work out for an hour, and then it all falls apart - My addiction to sugar and chocolate takes over and I am running to the store to find something.

I know I need to start a PLAN - I need to keep track - years ago I lost 90 pounds and kept it off for four years - but I wrote down everything I ate - as soon as I stopped writing it down I gained the weight. (By the way I have done WW several times and it doesn't work for me). When I did succeed it was on my own.

I guess we are all experts on weight loss - because we spend so much of our lives doing it. Right now I just don't know where to start for some reason. I work next to my kitchen all day (I am a painter) - and don't have a choice about that. When I get bored I eat, when I get frustrated I eat, when I am excited I eat - when I take a break I eat. I have excercise equipment in my house (I also go to the gym) - so I could always hop on a bike for a minute instead of eating.

But the cravings keep eating at me - I see so many people who have lost so much weight and kept it off and I am SO IMPRESSED because I keep reading about how impossible it is to do (have you read the lastest stuff about leptin, etc). How do you START????????? and more importantly HOW DO YOU KEEP IT OFF???????????????????????
redjb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:49 AM   #2  

Hi and good morning,

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions-I could have written your post, actually! I just wanted to send some hugs and let you know you're not alone. It's six am here, so I need to get off the computer and go exercise myself! I'm eagerly awaiting suggestions from others, too.

Please take care-
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:01 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hmmmm. Where to begin? Well, I've lost a lot of weight, but I am certainly no expert at keeping it off as I'm still in the LOSING aspect of this game. But when the time comes that I stop losing I plan on doing the same things that I am doing now. Which is exercising and counting my calories. Maybe if I'm lucky I will be able to eat a couple of hundred more calories when I enter maintenance.

I think you already know where to start. You know how to be successful. The thing is is that I think you need to look at this LONGTERM. This is forever. IF you want this to last forever and of course you do, well then you must continue it forever and ever - no stopping.

You said you've had success writiing everything down - so that sounds like a great place to start. Start journaling all your foods. Have you tried Fitday.com? It's a great and valuable tool for tracking calories. You work from your home? Well so do I. The great thing about that is that there's no office parties or big meetings or going out for lunch or candy bowls. Keep that home of yours stocked with healthy items. GET RID OF ALL THE JUNK!!! This way if a craving hits or real hunger you're left with only good options.

As for the cravings, well just because you have them doesn't mean you have to give into them. It's worth it to NOT give into them. STAY STRONG. ESPECIALLY the first few weeks. It's hard, but DOABLE. After those first 2 -3 weeks of elminating the foods you crave the most the cravings really, really diminish. I was sooo shocked and incredibly pleased to find that one out.

When bored, lonely, frustrated, sad, happy or whatever you MUST come up with other things to do besides eating. Paint, straigten up your home, exercise, read, watch TV, do your nails, knit, journal, have a cup of hot tea - SOMETHING. You don't have to eat then, there are other things to do. And once you get into this you will be so into the weightloss and just how good you feel (and look) that you will cease to use food less and less as entertainment.

You've also said that you start the day exercising. Well that's a big bonus already on your side.

I really think you CAN do this. In fact, I know it. It IS doable. And it's so very worth it. Post here often as it's a GREAT way to stay accountable. I really, really look forward to watching you progress on your journey. All the best. Robin
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:43 AM   #4  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi,
I am not an expert , like some of these wonderful people here, but would suggest getting rid of anything you will binge on if it is in your house. Fill the fridge with fresh fruits, and veggies. Yesterday I binged on 6 dates( that is all I bought), but I figure it was better than 6 cookies, or 6 reeses Peanut butter cups.
You said writing down food helped you , can you begin again? There are great on line diaries that help( I use mydailyplate). The only one who can make you begin is you, it has to be important enough for you to do it, and something you want to stick to. For me it was my health, and clothing issues. Nothing else worked, my daughter and Son have come home over the years crying because they have been teased by classmates about my weight, but that wasn't important enough for me. I was growing out of a 26 pants, and my feet were so swollen it hurt to walk. I have only been at this a few weeks, but I feel better, and everyday I don't want to do it, I just remember how I felt before. So find the reason you want to loose this weight and think how important it is for you.
I wish you luck on this, and hope that you stick around.
Cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

You said you weren't successful with WW because you're better off doing it on your own. Have you considered doing the WW program without going to meetings? That's what I do, and honestly writing all my food down and keeping track of my points is the key to the success I've had so far. Like Robin, though, I'm in the losing part, not the maintaining. And I've lost and gained weight back before. I've resigned myself to the idea that I will most likely be writing down my food and my "points" for the rest of my life, but what a fantastic tradeoff. I'd much rather track my food and be healthy than the alternative.

Also, you say you're better off doing it on your own, but don't you always actually do it on your own? Even when you go to WW meetings, you're still doing the work yourself. No one's by your side making your food choices for you or writing down those points.

It seems like you know what works -- it's just a matter of getting yourself to do it. Count your calories (or points if you feel like it), keep track, and come to 3FC for support! You can do this!!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I have to echo what has already been said. I too had to get rid of all the JUNK - that was the only way for me to conquer my bad eating habits. I am happy to say that after a couple of weeks, the cravings stopped. NADA. NONE. (which IMO was a miracle!) I have been almost 6 months now on my "plan" and have never felt better in my adult life. It is DOABLE. I also use fitday.com and track everything I eat - and I do not mind doing that at all. I am now proud of the way I eat and take care of myself. You have to WANT it for yourself though, no one can do it for you. There is a wonderful support system right here that I visit everyday too. I am only halfway to my goal right now, but I have no doubt I will see it this year. Just make up your mind what you want and GO FOR IT!!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:55 AM   #7  
Its all about choices

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/180

Default I am a Chocoholic too

I love chocolate. And it shows. Eating too much of it help me reach my highest weight back in March. And I was not too happy about it. But the mere thought of giving it all up was so depressing. Staying at 271 was MORE depressing, so I CHOSE to change what I ate. I gave up any chocolate that I could not control myself with. It was hard, but it is getting easier. I still eat some form of chocolate, but not every day and not in large amounts. I allow myself dark chocolate kisses, but they are 25 calories a piece, so I have to limit myself with them. Its been 2 weeks since I had any of those, and I have some in my kitchen. I can satisfy my chocolate craving with 60 calorie Jello pudding or with a low-fat ice cream treat. A 40 calorie Fudgscicle works great! Fat free ice cream is a treat for me now, and it is of a chocolate variety!

Are you eating something good for you every 3-4 hours? I found that I could control the munchies by planning snacks and meals to hit every 3-4 hours. By not becoming so hungry that I don't think about what I am eating, I can resist the temptation of calorie dense/nutritionless foods. Feed yourself something good for your body first when one of those cravings hit. Or ask yourself how that chocolate treat will help you obtain your goal. Once I realized that peanut butter cups will not help me fit into a size 12 pant, I quit wanting them.

I've been staying on plan for 10 weeks now. My skin looks better, my hair is shinier, my nails are growing, and I feel so much better. Chocolate can not make me feel better than I feel right now. You can do it! You decide what to eat, and you are stronger than your cravings!
NickiB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:29 AM   #8  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

While I love chocolate, my biggest downfall used to be Pepsi. Not diet Pepsi, real Pepsi, full sugar. I found that the only thing I could do was to limit it completely. I thought that once I got off the once a day craving for it, maybe I could go back to having it every once in a while. Now, I don't crave it! I don't even have it every once in a while and I haven't substituted diet pop for it either. Just plain water!

You might have to do the same thing with chocolate. Just cut it out entirely for awhile and see what happens. I think that in as little as a couple of weeks or so, you'll kick the habit!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/264.9/175

I am so happy I found this place - I could not believe all the helpful and supportive messages I had when I got on the computer this morning!! This is what I have needed.

I just sat down and wrote out a menu for the next four days (that's all I could think of right now). My husband is heading to the store- so we had a little arguement about the cheese crakers he loves to buy - he has no weight problem. I won this one.

When I get back from working out I am going to cut up some vegetables and fruit and put them in the fridge as emergency food.

You are right about food - it is alot like quiting smoking (which I did four years ago). It takes a few weeks to break the cravings and then it is easier. I just have to remind myself of that when I get the cravings. This too shall pass. As Nicki suggested, not allowing myself to get hungry will help abate the munchies.

I had signed up on fitday a few days ago (actually, I think I was reading a post by you Rockinrobin) . I will make it a habit to record in it.

Thanks again for all of the great ideas and support. When you are alone, sometimes conquering this huge weight problem feels insurmountable. Seeing what you all have done is inspirational and gives me some confidence that perhaps I can do it myself.

Have a great week!! Jane
redjb7 is offline   Reply With Quote