Old 06-05-2007, 04:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/257/150

Height: 5'10"

Default What tricks do/did you use?

I read on a site (I think it was Bob Greene's site) a tip about how to not binge on the remainder of your food.

"Don't hold the salt."

The idea is that you should douse the remainder of your food with salt or sugar so as to make it unappealing.

Last night my husband, God bless him and his gorgeous slender body and gazelle~like metabolism, made spaghetti with homemade sauce and garlic rolls. The spaghetti was the least of my worries. These rolls were sinful. They were warm. Moist on the inside with a crispy, buttery, garlicy crust on the outside. You could smell them before you even walked in to the house.

I had one. They drove me MAD! I was within my plan so I was happy...but still mad as a hatter.

After dinner there were three left over. It was just those three rolls and myself in the kitchen. ALL ALONE IN THE KITCHEN. I tossed them in the trash and poured dishsoap over them.

That is my trick. I pour dishsoap or lotion over things when I find myself heading to a path of binge. My waistline is shrinking but my lotion/dishsoap bill is GROWING!!!

So...what tricks do you use?

XO~
Jenn
tsinitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

That's great, Jen! I just use water. I water down the plates with food on them and then I can clean the kitchen. Even the compulsive over-eater that I am refuses to eat soggy food!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:19 PM   #3  
Christi

S/C/G: 187 / ticker / 130

I use the pouring of the sugar all over the food trick! I always pack the leftover meat, and other items that will 'keep' in a to-go box and anything else that I will be tempted to pick at gets a packet or two of Sweet n' Low. Works like a charm!

Another thing I started last weekend was after I go grocery shopping, I washed all the veggies and fruits and portioned them out in snack sized zipper bags or small tupperwares and cooked proper portions of chicken and steak for the week. This way, I can just grab and go. It takes a while to prepare it all but has saved me so much time each morning before work,so much brain work and so many calories each day!!

Nothing too new and original but I will keep you posted if I find any other tricks!
Clue0983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:47 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm with Tricia - plain old water. I run stuff under the faucet if need be. I would so much rather waste it then it wind up well ..... on my waist.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:57 PM   #5  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

This post got me thinking ~ about the wasting. I was feeling bad about doing that, but I got to thinking ~ one way or the other (rather I throw it or eat it) it is going to be gone, so when I am feeling strong, I throw it and at least it is gone, but not gone to my waist.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Last night I pulverized the remainder of a box of cereal and then threw it AND the unopened final box away in the trash (at the curb).

I felt bad about throwing it away, but it was the right choice for ME

I posted about it on the 100-pound club and will repost below. Sorry for those who have seen it already, but I'm fond of the post AND proud of myself for standing up to the stupid cereal!

See the "ode" below
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #7  

Default Ode (?) to a Former Love

Oh, Quaker Oat Squares! How could I have forgotten thee, my former daily breakfast? You brought me succor during my days of girth, but as my waistline diminished, so did my need for thee. I cast you aside for the siren song of the cottage cheese pancakes, the yogurt and blueberries, and, how I hate to admit it, the steel cut oats.

Ah, but there you lurked in the shadows of the cupboard. For over a year. Biding your time, until the fateful day last week, when you once again felt the caress of my hand upon your cardboard box. “Ah. Quaker Oat Squares, my long forgotten love. Curse the fates and my new 'lifestyle' for separating us. Are you still any good?” I mused. And you were.

Oh yes, you were good. Your crunch and slight sweetness caressed my palate. To taste. To swallow. To taste and swallow a whole bunch more. Therein lies the pleasure. Therein lies the pain.

What was once just for breakfast now followed me to bed. We became constant companions. You filled my days, and my nights (and my mouth) like never before.

But, tonight the mist (and crumbs) that blinded me have cleared. I know what must be done.

Go forth, Quaker Oat Squares! Leave my cupboard posthaste! I love my new waistline more than thee. It was not to be. So, there you lie, in tiny tiny pieces in the trash at the curb. After all, Monday is garbage day.

Beware, Kashi Go Lean Crunch – the fates have yet to decide your fortune!
Old 06-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #8  
Dieting Diva

Hey Jenn,

1.All the chips get put in containers that you can't see through.
I won't eat what I can't see. They are kept in containers instead of brightly colored bags. Chips are for weekend lunches or an occasional evening when everyone is eating a grilled burger.

2.At one time I portioned chips out into containers so that DS13 would stop eating half a bag of chips each afternoon. He's more of a fruit eater now.

3.I keep a 1 cup or 1/2 cup measuring cup in the cereal container( yes they are in the non see through containers also). This way if a person wants to have a single serving they can and there is no guess work.

4.I have two fridges. I put desserts, sodas and things I don't want to look at in the one in the laundry room. This gives me plenty of room for yogurt, the 5 pound bucket of cottage cheese and veggies in the kitchen.

5. Make up sugar free jello and more sugar free jello and then make some more.The people in your house who aren't dieting will eat it all. It cools you off in the afternoon, takes the edge off of nervous hunger pains and has maybe 10 calories a serving.
sirak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #9  

I usually portion everything and it usually works like a charm for me!
Old 06-05-2007, 07:43 PM   #10  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

wyllenn

Tooooo funny.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:35 AM   #11  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Height: 5'8"

Everything goes into my old friend-The Garbage Can. Like Robin said "better in there than on us!"
Janny O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:44 AM   #12  
Gonna change my life!

S/C/G: 261/258/200 (st)/140ish

Height: 5-2

Depends on the food.

If I'm eating chips and dip, I pour the rest of the dip over the chips and let it stay out...smells nasty and of course the chips are then soggy. EW!

Many times, just putting things away in the fridge or pantry will work for me. Out of sight, etc.

Portion out things--that way I get to have it, but not ALL of it.

Come to think of it, anything that makes food soggy will work. So water, soap, old dip, vinegar...

Blech!

Lynn
lynn23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 257/257/150

Height: 5'10"

Tricia~ AMEN! I would use the water trick but we do not have a garbage disposal. I mean REALLY....who DOESN'T have a garbage disposal?

Clue~ Look at you with the bear! That is so sweet.
I admire you for cooking and prepping. One of these days I'm going to listen to Ms. Robin and plan plan and plan some more.

Glynne~ I hate thinking of wasting food. When my brother is there I try to pawn everything off on him. He doesn't need it either. When we were younger he had the same metabolism as my husband does now. Now my brother's getting old and fat and we are both trying to eat normal.

Wylleen~ I LOVED your Ode. You're such a good writer and such a tremendous inspiration for me.

sirak~ You crack me up, peaches! You remind me of Lola from Charlie and Lola. I Will Never Not Ever Eat Something I Cannot See.

Lynn~ If I just put it away I can always go back for it. That way I'm getting in extra steps and it's extra E-X-E-R-C-I-S-E.
tsinitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:21 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

for you for getting rid of them.

I too portion my food out. When the meal's over and I'm staring down something yummy I either dump it in the scrap bucket for the dog or have Jeff or DSS put it away for leftovers. More of the out of sight, out of mind.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:24 PM   #15  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I try to clean up the leftovers as soon as the meal is over and scrape everything out to the cat or dogs. I use a smaller bowl and plate than the rest of my family. I constantly remind myself that I don't need to refill my plate and that if I get hungry later that I can have a fruit or low-fat popcorn for a snack. It's taken me a long time but I've finally beaten the mentality that I will starve if I don't eat as much as I can hold. Because believe me, I think I'm a bottomless pit when it comes to food.

After our dinner meal, I pack away the leftovers for DH's lunch the next day. I wouldn't get back into it because then I'd feel like I'm pigging out and eating his lunch.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote