Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-31-2007, 09:51 PM   #1  
The Story Re-Written

S/C/G: 384/227/180-235

Height: 6ft 4in

Default May I Ask...?

I wasn't sure that this should go in the Body Image section considering it isn't a post loss question...

Anyway, have any of you that have had surgery had problems dealing, I mean emotionally, with scarring after your surgery?

I found myself in tears for the first time last night after I looked at the scars on my stomach from my surgery. All these years, I had only to see a little scar that I got, ironically enough, while making pancakes when I was 9. Now I have all the scars from the surgery. Just kinda shocked me and made me think that if I am getting upset about this, how am I going to be when I lose more and have the sagging skin?
TheStorySoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:21 PM   #2  
banned

I don't seem to be bothered by mine at all; I have more than usual, being from both the recent lap band surgery and the failed-RNY-attempt-turned-appendectomy from 2005. It's not like I'm going to be wearing bikinis or anything once I hit goal weight anyway, and they are my badge of pride that I took a step to save my own life.
LAnneCarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:20 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I have lots of scars, from all different surgeries, so no, the band scars do not bother me... they do fade with time and shoot... I know I'll never wear a bikini so it doesn't really bother me.

I'm sorry your having a hard time. The way I look at it is, I'd rather have a few scars and be heatlhy then to have perfect skin and not be healthy. I think my scars have made me a stronger person and I bet they'll make you stronger too. Look at them as a symbol of courage.... and we all know it takes LOTS AND LOTS of courage to have WLS.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #4  
The Story Re-Written

At 31, I have no plans to wear bikinis or half shirts. If I had the body of say, Gwen Stefani, then I would do it.

My boyfriend said the same thing when I was upset. He says "It's done for the best." My feelings didn't come from a shallow place of wanting to be hot and sexy and the scars would hinder that, it's more of a shock after seeing a little scar there for the last 22 almost 23 years and now I have what looks like a bunch of dashes over my tummy.

After reading your responses, I do feel a little more empowered and certainly better about my scars. I kinda like the thinking of them as a symbol of courage.

Thank you both.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 440/208/220 Exceeded by 12 lbs

Height: 5'10"

Just like Leenie wrote...

I have scares and they bothered me at first but looking at the whole picture they are nothing... If I stayed at the same weight I might have had a massive heart attack and then open heart surgery and still not feel healthy. these scares can be covered up, Your underlying health can not be...
Pazazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:16 PM   #6  
WLS Diva & mommy!

S/C/G: 254/140/140

Height: 5'3"

I agree...I look at my scars as marks of courage & strength. Because we all know that WLS is NOT the easy way to lose weight. I'm proud of all my scars...and the life stories they have behind them. I'm proud of the scar on my leg...I broke it playing on the playground with my godson. I'm proud of my lap RNY scars...they gave me back my life and some. And lastly...I'm proud of my c-section scar...because finally...after 10 years, WLS, lots of prayers...I'm a MOM! And once I have my tummy tuck...I will be proud of that scar as well...because it will mean that I've completed another chapter in my life...

Love your scars...they make you YOU!

Kristy
goddess819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 329/180/150

Height: 5'4"

I agree with what everyone had to say, with one exception: I have never actually had a negetive outlook about my scars. I think they add character, lol. Each one tells a story. And if your skin has a bunch of issues or just one, like stretch marks, striations, broken blood vessels, cellulite, etc., I am happy to say, don't assume you can never wear a bikini! At 6'4" & 189 lbs goal, you will be a knock-out! I have no doubt whatsoever that you are attractive as you are, physically and emotionally/mentally. I hope that doesn't offend you. And do you know what men find far sexier than a socal barbie doll? A woman with substance, character and confidence! One who knows herself and is happy with who she is (yes, I know, easier said than done). I have lost so much more weight than I had hoped for, and had serious skin issues. I ended up having a vertical abdominoplasty for therapuetic reasons (covered 100% by my insurance since it was deemed medically necessary). I still have alot of stretch marks. They just don't happen to be in their original location(s), lol!! But even as I lose more weight, I am incredibly shocked to see that my stretch marks are not nearly as bad as when I weighed almost 300 lbs & all my skin was filled out, more or less. It appears you had your wls somehwere in the first week of May. I was terribly conflicted about how I looked after having lost 135 lbs. Everyone told me how great I looked, but all I could think was,"You obviously haven't seen me naked!". Fortunately, I had the opportunity to do something about my abdominal skin issues. The only drawback, I now notice my pudgy-*** thighs!!! LOL, ain't that a hoot? Actually, I'm still having fluid retention in my thighs/ hips from said surgery (a few days before yours!). I know your location is listed as socal, but may I ask what city?

Best regards,

Angie
original_serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:37 PM   #8  

Yep, cap sleeves and short shorts are definitely out..but I figure it is the price that I have to pay for my past indescretions with food. I can survive the scars. I wish I'd had a body like Gwen Stefani, but I knew ahead of time that wouldn't happen and was prepared for my body's aftermath. I really have no plans for plastic surgery. Those that are bothered that much usually go that route.
*stefani* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

The scars don't bother me at all But I would like for my saggy skin to be gone. Not enough to go under the knife again though. I'm just go grateful it's no worse than it is. Pants have to hit just above the knee and sleeves just above the elbow. But hey.... I look darn good for an old broad !!!
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 262/218/145

Height: 5'4'

From one old broad to another - I think you look darn good too and I'm hoping I look as good after my surgery and loss. Three more nights to go and now I'm beginning to feel a little nervous or should I say anxious?
Lolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:07 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 329/180/150

Wow, you do look great, Magi! I actually never considered cosmetic surgery for the sake of cosmetic reasons. I kinda didn't have a choice.
original_serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:17 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

High Five to Lolow !!!! You go girl !! Git'er done!!
Serendipity you're looking good there...keep up the good work !
Thanks to you both
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:54 AM   #13  
The Story Re-Written

I'm feeling better about my scars and I have to say that as the days go by, I am looking at them quite differently than I was a few weeks ago. I have even begun to kinda laugh at the longest one where my port is. It started out looking like a horizontal behind, now it is starting to look like one of my fish's lips and I have to laugh from time to time.

Angie, I am up in the desert in Victorville. We call it the pit stop that most folks make on their way to Vegas. Not a really small town, but when you have seen one jackrabbit and crow feasting on one that has met an untimely demise, you have seen them all.