Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-30-2007, 08:09 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8

Default what re-motivates you when you have no more motivation left?

whats one thing that you do or say that gets you back on track to losing weight? im asking this because there are some days when i just feel like i cant go on and want to quit but somehow i find ways to get myself re focused, but im running out of ideas.
pinupdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:35 AM   #2  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

I find a good honesty session in front of the mirror helps. I'll sit there for a minute and take the time to analyze everything. I don't stand there and look at everything that's wrong with me though, I look at everything that's changed, every part of me that's smaller, slimmer, better looking, and think how far I've come and how I'll look when I finally reach goal.
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:56 AM   #3  
New mom, aspiring DVM

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Mainly, I try to remind myself that this is for the long-term. I'm not worried about tomorrow or next week, I'm not trying to lose weight for X event or by X date. I'm in this for life - I'm becoming healthier and more active, and it'll pan out in time.

I know that if I stick with it, I may not see results today or tomorrow. But I know that I'll be happier and healthier a year from now than I am right now, because of the choices I make every day. And if I'm not "at goal" a year from now, I can be in 2 or 3 or 10 years. The long-term effects are a lot more important than the short-term.

Part of this long-term view comes from the fact that I had my birthday last week. I've spent the last 5 years of my life "trying" to lose weight, getting frustrated, giving up and gaining it back plus some. I'm 25 years old, and I now weigh just over 200 pounds. On my 20th birthday, I made a "vow" to lose 40 pounds and weighed in at 180. By my 22nd, I was 190, and made another "commitment" - by 23, I was hovering at 200. I've spent the last 2 years bouncing around between 195 and 205, with a few bumps as high as 210.

I've lost up to 15-20 pounds at a go, and put it right back on. I've spent the last 5 years on and off of X or Y diet, binge exercising, and just kicking myself when I don't lose fast enough and kicking myself more when I gain it back.

I refuse to spend the next 5 years of my life "hating" my body - I'm taking better care of myself, feeding myself good healthy foods and taking good care of myself. The way I see it, I can spend the next 5 years yo-yoing and end up hating myself another 20 pounds up, or I can change things up and treat myself well. And the weight's coming off. Slowly, but surely.

So, that's my advice - keep an eye on the big picture. If you're down 5 pounds instead of 10 in a given time frame, you're still down. If you gain a few pounds, instead of "punishing" yourself, ask yourself why. It's a long learning path, but it'll pay off in the long run if you keep yourself on the right path.
Rock Chalk Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Sometimes when i need remotivating, i pull out my pictures of when i was heavier and now. i also pull out my journal with my measurements and weight changes. i look at how my bmi is going down, and i also have a full body shot in my bikini from last year...eck!! I want to look better in it. I guess that is what remotivates me. And making sure my kids are proud of me...as in not embarressed by my size. i love that my 8 year old tells me she can fit her arms around my waist and touch her hands behind my back. i love that!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:00 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It's very important to be following a plan that you feel like you can stick with indefinitely. I tried other ways--one way was very strict--you ate what was on the list--and I lost 14 pounds in 5 weeks. But to this day I can't stand egg whites or turkey! So, that's the first way to help ensure success. Find the right plan.

As for sticking with it--I don't see what the alternative would be! The weight is not going to magically disappear!

When I get tired and I want to eat something other than what I've planned, I sometimes plan for it for the next day. Or if it's a spur of the moment, let's-go-out thing, I can do that--because I know how to eat at a restaurant without going out of bounds. I don't go to fast food places, but even then I know what I could eat.

I agree that the mirror is really a good wake up call. On the one hand, I can see how much progress I've made, and that's inspiring. On the other hand, I can also see that I have a lot to go. I'm not just talking about my current goal--that's just a temporary stopping point. I'll still be overweight at 155. And seeing what my body looks like, where the fat is, and so on, gives me a chance to think whether that treat I want is really worthwhile.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:27 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I knew when I started this venture that I was in it for LIFE. That's a looong time. I needed to face that reality before I even started out on this journey or there was no point in starting it in the first place. There is no stopping - just continuing - forever.

Yes there are rough patches along the way. I can go weeks on end without stepping out of my plan and think that I've got this weight thing down pat. And then boom, I get the munchies all over again. So there most certainly ARE times where I need to stop and refocus, but I think that's to be expected. I need to keep in mind (at all times) just how badly I want this. I need to always remember just how miserable I was at 287 lbs. I need to keep in mind just how much happier I am now. That helps me to get refocused and remotivated.

But I've said this many times, motivation will come and go, it's the determination and absolute and complete COMMITMENT to a better and healthier life that is needed to lose all this weight and then keep it off. Regardless of what or how I'm feeling.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 05-30-2007 at 10:35 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:32 AM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Sometimes when I feel like my motivation is waning, I take out my old pair of size 20 jeans and try them on. This remotivates me to keep the wt. off. I also will write a list to review on the reasons why I changed my lifestyle to begin with. I also come to 3FC's and read everyone else's story for motivation. I also go to my own goal story and pic's and read these to help me see the light again.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Aside from tight pants which can work wonders, I try to think down the road when 5 pounds turns into 10 pounds and 10 turns into 20.... I try to break the cycle before it breaks me.

I also agree with rockinrobin. There are plenty of "off days", but as long as I can realize how badly I have wanted this my entire life, I can always find my way back.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:06 AM   #9  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

What motivates me when there's no motivation left..... hmmmm....

Usually two things:

1. Seeing my big arse in the mirror.

2. Can't fit comfortably into my BIGGEST pair of pants/shorts/etc.

Yup. That does it for me.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/201.8/155

Height: 163cm

I've been losing weight since August last year, and in 10 months I've lost 37 pounds. Nowhere near as fast as a lot of people - but slow and steady.

It isn't often that I felt really 'motivated' - because that comes and goes. But I made myself a promise to stay committed to this, and I intend to keep that promise.

I am just coming off a NINE WEEK plateau. It has been really frustrating and annoying, and there were times when I felt like giving in. Why didn't I?

1. Because I threw out every item of clothing that was too big/loose, so I knew I would have nothing to wear if I gave up.

2. Every morning, especially when I'm not in the mood for it, I go for a walk for an hour.

3. I keep a record of my weekly weigh-ins and measurements. It's a great way of seeing the progress I've made, and a reminder to not give up.

Sometimes I think it's good to have a rest between 'losing weeks'. I call it 'maintenance practice', because it's important to me that I take some time to reflect on what I've learned, what new habits I've picked up, and how I'm travelling.

As others have said here, it's a life-long journey. So it isn't any surprise that your weight loss will reflect other parts of your life. Sometimes it feels tough, impossible, frustrating… even boring. At other times it's exciting, motivation and affirming.

Ani
PerthChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:31 PM   #11  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

I discuss in my blog the different milestones I am approaching. When I am a few lbs away, I workout like there is no tomorrow. Also, when I see I have more play in my belt, and pull out the 44" pants to test my progress, then that motivates me even further.
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:40 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I just recently said "ok, I am NOT trying to lose, lets just practice maintaining for awhile" It helped a lot to take a mental break
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:43 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
I just recently said "ok, I am NOT trying to lose, lets just practice maintaining for awhile" It helped a lot to take a mental break
This is a great way of thinking. Someone on another forum I joined posted about this book called The Cheater's Diet. The author recommends rethinking the weight loss journey. He recommends dieting for 6 months, then maintaining for 6 months, then dieting for 6 months, etc. (This might not work for those who need to lose weight faster for medical reasons). I like this approach because I think it makes losing weight more manageable.
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:02 AM   #14  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnm39 View Post
This is a great way of thinking. Someone on another forum I joined posted about this book called The Cheater's Diet. The author recommends rethinking the weight loss journey. He recommends dieting for 6 months, then maintaining for 6 months, then dieting for 6 months, etc. (This might not work for those who need to lose weight faster for medical reasons). I like this approach because I think it makes losing weight more manageable.
I had about 4-6 weeks of "dieting" where I was going over plan about 5 days of 7 and that was pissing me off and I was starting to get down. So I just quit recording for awhile and refocused on nutrition, hunger, paying attention to what I was eating, but not counting, measuring etc. After 2 weeks I felt ready to start fresh.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:11 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Yesterday I tried on some size 8 pants from my closet. I could get them on but I definitely had a sausagelike appearance. Ugly!But this morning I weighed myself and have lost another pound, not a lot, but it is like putting gas in the car, keeps me going.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote