Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-14-2007, 01:15 AM   #1  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Default quitting smoking

I forgot to mention this in my last post so here goes.

Two weeks ago, I quit smoking - haven't had so much as a drag off a cigarette since then. But I am having the worst cravings. I always want to eat when I would usually smoke. I have bought sugarless gum to chew when I get bad, but other than that, nothing seems to help. It's like all I crave is junk - caffiene and junky foods. I am trying my best to eat veggies or fruit at snacktime but my body is screaming at me.

Has anyone quit smoking and then started to diet and exercise? Any suggestions as to how to combat these cravings? I really want to succeed with my weight loss so I need to figure something out fast! Drinking a Coke isn't doing it for me and at 140 calories it's sure not helping my diet!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:56 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey there caksey!

Quitting smoking is HARD, but if you've gone 2 weeks you are past the worst part. You will still have cravings, but they will go down the longer you are quit. Don't give in! Not for even one drag!

Baby carrots and celery sticks are a good way to keep your mouth busy without getting too many calories.

Diet Coke would be an improvement over regular Coke--although the best is not to drink sodas, period. Or you could dilute the regular or diet Coke half with sparkling water--it tastes weak at first, but once you get used to it, it seems fine.

There was an herbal tea awhile back called "Smoker's Tea" for quitting smoking. It contained the plant lobelia. You'd find it at a health food store if it's still being made. I used it when I quit. It didn't stop the cravings completely, but it did turn down the volume.

Good luck! Keep going!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:26 AM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

After all this time, I finally realized something about myself this past week. Everytime I visit my family, I overeat there. I tried to figure out what caused this. The stress doesn't change...ALL the time. Granted, my family can be stressful at times. They DO like to go to buffets, but I'M in control of what I put on my plate, right? I finally figured it out this week. Artificial sweetners. I don't keep diet soda at home. HOWEVER, I DO eat light yogurt, sugar free jello AND chew sugar free gum. That's all out. Dump the soda and get water. I even got rid of my flavored waters, which have artificial sweetner. For the last 3 days, I've had NO artificial sweetners and NO cravings. One day, I wasn't even really all that hungry and actually ate UNDER my calorie range.

Now I quit smoking before I started my lifestyle change, but I know about the gum. You really need it, or hard candy. But a stick of gum really doesn't have that many cals, even sweetened. I've found that Big Red works good for me. The cinamon kinda numbs out my mouth, and the flavor lasts a good while, and we're only talking 10 cals a stick. So try ditching the sugar free and see if it helps.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 288/252.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Lordy, that's a double doozy! First, congratulations! That's the best thing you can do for your health and your family!
I quiet after smoking a pack a day for 21 years. But didn't do the diet thing and it SHOWS! Honestly though, I would cut yourself some slack for the first few months. I'm not saying go whole hog, but maybe be happy with a very slow loss or even maintaining. My doctor says the average person gains 25lbs when they quit smoking. Are you doing the patch? Or nicorette gum? Those might help if you aren't.

Hard candy is good. And really not that bad if you suck on it and make it last. I chewed on straws sometimes. Cinnamon sticks.

Good luck!!
emilyk is offline   Reply With Quote