Old 04-29-2007, 03:55 AM   #1  
LC Rooster

Default Diet Coke Plus

"Diet Coke Plus" is a new diet coke version on the market now that is supposed to have added vitamins and minerals.

I saw a table for this the other day at Wal-Mart, but the people doing samples was gone already. However, I did manage to try some at a Ralph's grocery store early today.

Tastes the same as regular diet coke, and the gal demoing it claimed it would be priced the same as all the 'normal' coke products. I've read some people notice an aftertaste from it because of the added zinc, but I didn't notice it (then again, I only had a sample cup of it).

I figured I'd dig around online for the actual nutritial details without luck. I spent 15 minutes drilling through "Download our newest commercial!", "Blog about our commericals!", and "Coca-Cola gave 5 starving Kenyan children Coca-Cola Polar Bear Cooler Lunch Bags!" to finally find a product listing, which gave no info, and didn't list the new product.

I'm not too worried about what is in it, just wanted to make people aware and maybe see if anyone else has tried it out yet.

Edit: Found some nutritional info. All percentages are of RDA (recommended daily allowance):
Niacin - 25%
Vitamin B6 - 25%
Vitamin B12 - 25%
Magnesium - 15%
Zinc - 15%
Caffeine - 45.6 mgs

Last edited by BradH; 04-29-2007 at 04:27 AM.
BradH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:50 AM   #2  
Meg

I don't know if it's true, but I read that the added vitamins and minerals in Diet Coke Plus are the ones that post-weight loss surgery patients are often lacking. Anyone know anything about that?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #3  
it's always something

But WLS patients shouldn't drink carbonated beverages, should they? Amy said it was a big no-no for her.

This annoys me What an awful way to sell more soda. Why not eat more vegetables, drink more water, and take a multi-vitamin daily if you think it's needed. Just my opinion
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

I agree Suzanne but on the days where we have a treat it would be nice to "sneak" some extra nutrients into the kids. If they are gonna have pop why not at least get some benefits from it.lol
canadian mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:00 PM   #5  

Who is feeding their kids Diet Coke?

I see it as aimed at all the perpetually dieting adult women who are DC's (and all diet sodas') primary market. I think the idea is not so much that it substitutes for proper eating and nutrition but rather that it makes diet soda that you're drinking anyway more nutritious.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I only used to drink diet sodas when I was a kid. I'd only get regular soda if I bought it myself away from my mom, which basically meant in college or if out with friends.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #7  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
Who is feeding their kids Diet Coke?
Me. My son is diabetic.

But regardless, I always gave my kids diet sodas if they were having soda, as the 'better bad choice'. No kid is going to go through life without soda occasionally, so at least you can avoid the sugar by giving them diet soda.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:35 PM   #8  
Calorie Countin'

S/C/G: 235/235/150

Height: 5'8"

So, I'm a diet soda addict. I'll drink like 5 in the span of an hour, heh. I know it's a bad habit but I just can't break it somedays. I wish I could cause I will use the bathroom like every 15 minutes after a soda spree for a while.

But Diet Coke Plus is not the type to binge-drink. I drank five and my head was feeling weird and so was my stomach. It must be the vitamins since that never happens with regular diet soda.

I think DCPlus tastes pretty good, though. It kinda reminds me of regular Coca-Cola that's gone a bit flat, which I have no problem with cause I always kinda liked flatish Coke.
Oppurtunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I didn't notice a change in the taste (and actually I gave a can to my sister and my friend and they didn't notice a difference either). I think I am going to exclusively buy the diet coke plus now (opposed to coke zero, diet coke, or diet pepsi) because as everyone else said it is the best of the the bad choices. Plus looking back at my fit day B-6 and B-12 are vitiams that I am normally low on.

I do nomally limit my pop intake to one a day (or when I'm not in finals 1 every other day).
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:31 AM   #10  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Me. My son is diabetic.

But regardless, I always gave my kids diet sodas if they were having soda, as the 'better bad choice'. No kid is going to go through life without soda occasionally, so at least you can avoid the sugar by giving them diet soda.
Same here, Meg. My son gets sugar-free soda. Every once in a great while he'll have a regular soda, like if he goes out to lunch with his uncle or something, he gets one at a restaurant. But for the most part he gets diet. That's actually his choice. The kid is only 7 years old and will say, "I want a sugar-free pop, I've had enough sugar today."

LOL

I've warped him.

I know there's a big messy controversy on whether or not parents should give their kids food products that contain aspartame and/or splenda. But I've been consuming copious amounts of the stuff for years (sugar-free soda, sugar-free puddings and jello, sugar-free LIFE ) and I've never had any problems. Some people, however, do have problems with it.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #11  

WHO ARE WE KIDDING....KIDS ARE THE BIGGEST SODA DRINKERS OUT THERE...IT'S THEIR MARKETING TOWARD A NEW AUDIENCE AND IT WORKS! KIDS ARE GOING TO DRINK SODA ANYWAY, SO IT MIGHT AS WELL BE SUGARLESS AND WITH VITAMINS! I TRIED THIS YESTERDAY AND THOUGHT IS WAS VERY GOOD, SMOOTHER THAT REGUALR DIET COKE...I'LL GET IT AGAIN, I LOVE DIET SODA AND SO DO MY CHILDREN.

HIGHEST WEIGHT 209
TODAY'S WEIGHT 152
WW LIFETIME MEMEBER SINCE 2004
Idealperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppurtunity View Post
So, I'm a diet soda addict. I'll drink like 5 in the span of an hour, heh. I know it's a bad habit but I just can't break it somedays. I wish I could cause I will use the bathroom like every 15 minutes after a soda spree for a while.
I used to be the same way. I have weened my self completely off of soda because it's a trigger food for me. It's either A LOT or nothing for me when it comes to soda.

I just don't think there is enough research out there on artificial sweeteners either (I'm not criticizing anyone here~this is just my opinion.) I try to avoid them at all costs now (just in case), which is why I don't drink soda any longer.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:57 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post

I know there's a big messy controversy on whether or not parents should give their kids food products that contain aspartame and/or splenda. But I've been consuming copious amounts of the stuff for years (sugar-free soda, sugar-free puddings and jello, sugar-free LIFE ) and I've never had any problems. Some people, however, do have problems with it.
I agree- while I try not to go overboard, I don't believe that aspartame or splenda in moderation is harmful. I think it's important to follow an overall well balanced diet, which may include a diet soda here and there...I'll take the diet soda over the regular anyday!
VelVeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:35 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Mine get it in restaurants, which is too often, actually. But not at home. My dd is allergic to milk, juice is actually as bad as soda, so short of drinking water all the time, diet soda is the best choice for us when we're out. They do have all water at home, OJ one time per day, and only diet soda when we're out. I think milk would be the only better option, but we're allergic.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote