Old 04-21-2007, 04:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 355/314.4/279 (short-term)

Height: 5'5"

Default Pilates DVDs

Can anyone here recommend a good pilates DVD I can get over here?

I am looking at a couple on Amazon and Darcey Bussell's one but there are a lot of others I have never heard of so am wondering if anyone can shed any light??

Vicky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 139/137/120

Height: 5'4"

Not sure if it's available in England, but I *strongly* recommend the Gaiam Beginning Mat Workout with Ana Caban. She is an amazing instructor.

I just took a pilates class IRL, and while the class was great, Ana Caban is nearly as good as having an instructor next to you!
poppins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 246/244/143

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppins3 View Post
Not sure if it's available in England, but I *strongly* recommend the Gaiam Beginning Mat Workout with Ana Caban. She is an amazing instructor.
I agree! She is the best. Just don't fall for Winsor, that's not good.
FitMomEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:48 AM   #4  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I tried pilates videos once, but I found it excrutiatingly painful. I have two bulging discs in my back, and it was really hard to do any of the exercises. I did the Winsor pilates one, though so maybe others are better. I gave the videos to my brother and SIL and they love them (no back problems for them!)
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:44 PM   #5  
No excuses this time!

S/C/G: 279/249/154

Just curious- why didnt you like the winsor pilates ones? I am doing the winsor pilates workout with the sculpting circle - and I like it!!! I also joined an online video rental place that let you keep the dvds as long as you like - no late fees, so I try a lot before I buy - I rented Jennifer Kries - pilates method and it seems good too. Next in my queue - is MTV pilates and Pilates for dummies - I will let you know what they are like - I should have them this week- because I just returned Geriyoga (didnt like that one)
mumtoliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 246/244/143

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumtoliam View Post
Just curious- why didnt you like the winsor pilates ones? I am doing the winsor pilates workout with the sculpting circle - and I like it!!!
I got the basic set (3 workouts) checked out by one of the best certified Pilates instructors in my area and she was horrified by it - she said that the workout mixes beginner with advanced poses, and that as if that wasn't enough to put people at risk of injury, she said a lot of the exercises weren't properly performed on the videos, which increased not only the risk of injury.

She was also concerned that even if people followed just what Mari said and her performance and not that of the people in the videos, mixing in advanced work might set people up for failure, both because of some exercises being too challenging and because if not properly done they won't give good results. She explained things to me which I understdood better when I actually went in for a lesson.

I then tried Quickstart Pilates for Weight Loss and I could totally see what she meant: she said there isn't supposed to be any jerky or forced movements, everything is supposed to flow. This workout, with Ana Cabàn, is still challenging but somehow much smoother, the moves and positioning aren't sudden and bcause of the guidance it's much easier to get the perfect positioning.
FitMomEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:23 AM   #7  

Height: 5' 8"

Default videos

I like "Crunch: Pilates Pick Your Spot" It has 3-10 min workouts for the Belly Butt and Thighs. It is a workout! You can do the modified/Beginner poses or the more advance-- they have one lady do the easy. Just be sure you have your remote close by, it was kinda difficult for me to get all the movements right as I did it the first few times. But I loved how I felt when I did that it was relaxing and I could feel the burn in my core.
Sun_Flower2 is offline   Reply With Quote