Exercise! - Is it true?

View Full Version : Is it true?

wisher
04-21-2007, 12:30 AM
Is it true that you should be able to carry on a conversation while working out? If I go that slow it doesn't feel a like a workout at all to me! But if that's the optimum level I wouldn't mind slowing down a bit :)

junebug41
04-21-2007, 01:46 AM
I always heard that it should be very difficult conversation :shrug:

Ilene
04-21-2007, 02:13 AM
I've heard that you should be able to speak a few sentences but not hold a conversation. Does this make sense?

Heather
04-21-2007, 02:13 AM
I always heard that it should be very difficult conversation :shrug:

So, would a serious conversation about ethics or politics count?? :rofl:

almostheaven
04-21-2007, 02:29 AM
You should be ABLE to have a conversation but not actually FEEL like having one. Does that help? Or just muddy the waters more? LOL

northernbelle
04-21-2007, 10:07 AM
It depends on your goals for that particular workout. Moderate and intense cardio serve different purposes. If you are doing the long moderate cardio, yes you should be able to carry on a conversation. BUT if you are doing HIIT or high intensity intervals, there's no way you can talk.

If a friend is walking on the treadmill, I might start a conversation. But if one is running, I don't. When doing high intensity or running, it's too dangerous to try to focus on something else.

gaylors79
04-21-2007, 10:49 AM
I usually can't hold a conversation when working out, but if my hubby comes up to ask me how many sets or how much longer I have on a machine, I can respond in a short sentance. But not more than about 8-10 words.

Sara

Diva
04-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Since I workout mostly @ home and with my own music (usually), I can say that when I try to sing along with the songs, I can only get a few words out, LOL! I have no interest in a conversation when I am working out, my mind is on other things. I also have asthma and sometimes have a mini attack during a workout, so a conversation is totally out of the question...and no, I do not stop what I am doing. I use the inhaler and slow my pace until the lungs are functioning. If I stopped everytime I had an asthma attack, I'd never exercise. :(

ladybugnessa
04-21-2007, 12:42 PM
well i always heard you should be able to speak but not sing...

Diva
04-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Well Nessa, I guess some of us just enjoy singing, LOL!

Lydia227
04-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Shoot, I can't even speak for a few minutes after my workout. Kind of embarrassing really. I walked up to someone to ask a question, got their attention and then had to use hand gestures for them to wait a moment until I could get the words out. :rolleyes: It surprises me because I wasn't out of breathe or anything. :dunno:

junebug41
04-21-2007, 02:40 PM
So, would a serious conversation about ethics or politics count?? :rofl:

Ok. that was after 2 glasses of wine and this morning, I see your point.

:rofl:

baffled111
04-21-2007, 03:25 PM
I definitely cannot talk while I'm doing cardio. I try to keep my intensity high, but I also have really crappy lungs because I smoke so much. Unrelated to smoking, I also can't *think* when I'm doing cardio. I flip through light magazines, but I see people reading novels and grading papers (I live in a college town) and I can't imagine how they're doing it! My brain turns to complete mush!

So no, wyllenn, difficult conversations about ethics and politics are out of the question :)

Heather
04-21-2007, 03:35 PM
OMG, I teach at a college and I can not even imagine trying to grade papers while working out!!!!! But now that I'm thinking about it, perhaps it's a goal I should set for myself -- what great multitasking!

But then, I really hate grading, and I don't really enjoy the cardio all that much. Sounds like double the pain!!!! So maybe that's a bad idea! :D

YP1
04-21-2007, 03:44 PM
I've heard that if you're able to read books (or grade papers ;) ) you need to be working harder.

One of the things I found hardest when I started running club was the fact that people chatted on the way round. I have a tendency to push myself as hard as I can and do it in silence, but I'm gradually getting to the stage where I can keep up a conversation as I run. When I'm on my own it tends to be no more than the odd grunted "good morning" as I pass people, but it is getting easier to chat when I'm running with other people. It does depend what workout I'm doing though, some are much harder to get the words out in than others!

baffled111
04-21-2007, 03:46 PM
(Warning: Firefox will not let me use apostrophes right now. Please excuse the formal construction!)

Wyllenn, I am an ABD and my partner teaches at the college here. I hate grading, obviously. It is a very particular form of torture. One of the colleagues of my partner shows up at the gym and grades papers on the recumbent bike. My feeling is that he is probably not grading *or* working out properly. I do not think this is a skill you should cultivate! Definitely not an effective form of multitasking!

wisher
04-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I'm just worried about working out too hard, I was reading an article by some fitness expert or another that was talking about your target heart rate and for most people that heart rate allows for simple conversation while working out. She said if you do cardio too intensely it's kind of counterproductive because your body starts burning the muscles...

?

CrimsonClover
04-22-2007, 03:09 PM
i have the hardest time talking and working out

i actually prefer working out alone... i like to plug in my MP3 player and just go. Its one of the rare times i can just have time to me and my thoughts

De-stresses my something wicked

Heather
04-22-2007, 05:58 PM
heh, I meant my response to sound more flip than it was -- I never DID seriously consider grading while working out, but I don't know it came out that way in my post! :)

baffled -- a "particular form of torture" -- what a fitting way to describe it! I hate to say it, but in my experience, it doesn't get any easier!

I think you're right about the guy who grades on the recumbent bike... but then, he probably doesn't care about not grading, or working out, well!

almostheaven
04-22-2007, 11:20 PM
I've heard that if you're able to read books (or grade papers ;) ) you need to be working harder.
I read while doing the treadmill, elliptical or stair stepper. With my home stair stepper, I often play a hand held solitaire game. I workout hard. But I think too much about HOW hard and want to quit too soon. By trying to tie up my mind off the thoughts of how much my muscles are aching, I can spend longer at the exercise. My mind isn't completely off of what I'm doing. I'm still thinking of the ache in the back of my head, but not so focused on it as to talk myself into quitting too soon. ;)