04-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Hey guys... I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about calotren? I've been hearing about it on the radio and they say it helps you sleep and it helps with a number of things like arthritis but mainly, it helps you drop the pounds!... does anyone know anything about it?
04-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Years ago my in-laws bought into a similar product (drinking NASTY tasting supplement with collagen in it). It was gross and no one lost any weight or experienced any health improvement from it's use. IMO, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
04-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Here is a review I found from skinnyondiets.com
Calotren is described as, “an all-natural Protein Formula working as a nutritional supplement that assists the body in shedding excess body fat and toxins naturally. CALOTREN does not stimulate, starve or trick your body into weight loss. It simply supports the body's lean muscle tissue and fuels the body's natural mechanism in burning off excess fats and sugars more efficiently. For those who are underweight or in good physical condition, CALOTREN encourages stamina and energy.” The company promises a lot, but does not offer a free trial sample and a bottle sells for $49.95.
Ingredients At A Glance
Calotren liquid contains Collagen hydrolysate and additional ingredients as listed at the website.
* Collagen hydrolysate (CH) - are often used topically in shampoos, conditioners and cosmetic creams. Also found in dietary supplements, (CH) are used in arthritis remedies. Collagen is the primary connective tissue protein and is present in skin and cartilage. The characteristic of collagen hydrolysate is its amino acid composition, similar to that of collagen in cartilage. Collagen hydrolysate may therefore serve as a building block for the regeneration and synthesis of cartilage. CH is extracted from either bovine or marine sources. More studies are still needed to determine if fiber alone is truly beneficial for weight management.
Liquid vs Capsules
The principal difference between capsules and liquids comes down to the quality of the ingredients and the delivery method utilized. Liquids are typically not effective in delivering the product into the bloodstream and some users complain of bad taste. We believe you should take the correct amount of a product and this is best accomplished in a pre-measured capsule. Liquids require a dropper, teaspoon or a cup. It leaves too much to chance and you may take the wrong dosage. Pharmaceutical companies use capsules. Capsules cost more to manufacturer, but it is the best method and guarantees the correct dosage.
Ingredients In Focus
If the product could do all that was advertised, we would be all for it in that respect. But, after close review, with regards to the included active ingredients, the jury is still out on the effectiveness towards immediate weight loss. Be advised, that the product may contain an animal byproduct and we must make note that, we do not condone the use of ingredients harvested from animals.
• All natural, reported as safe
• Is an alternative to capsules
• No ephedrine
• Company is easy to contact
• May contain products harvested from animals
• Is not intended to replace diet and exercise
• Scarcity of studies on the active ingredients
• Not truly for immediate weight loss
• Does not contain an active fat burner
Calotren, attempts to sell a formula around a single trendy ingredient. We believe that Calotren alone will not help reduce existing body fat. The key ingredients and the concepts behind the product are curious at best. However, even if the ingredients did work as advertised, it would not be a magic pill. The product, still does not address the primary issue of existing body fat. The product seems best suited for those who approach weight loss in a very casual manner, as the product does not seem to contain an active fat burner. The lack of supporting research on the active ingredient alone, at this time, leads us to not be overly impressed.