PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/205/135

Height: 5'4"

Question Weight training and PCOS

WEll since I already VERY RARELY have a period I am a little worried that if I get heavily into fitness I will make the problem even worse.
Also I a wondering if this could adversly affect me being able to have a baby. I am 26 and hope to have a baby in the enxt few years.
I know losing weight will be beneficial but what about weight training..
Amy
silverose1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hi amy!
Weight training is very beneficial to losing weight in general.

You shouldn't worry about getting too heavily into fitness, it will only help you. If you've read about athletes that don't have a period, it is only because their body fat percentage is so low that they stop. Unless you get into the low teens with BF percentage, then I wouldn't worry.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:20 PM   #3  

Thanks..That is a relief..
I really hope that losing weight will help with my PCOS symtoms.
Right now my BF% is 35...I do hope to get around 20 or so.....
Anyway thanks for easing my mind.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:17 PM   #4  
I'm a jammer!

S/C/G: 285.5/239/145

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverose1209 View Post
Thanks..That is a relief..
I really hope that losing weight will help with my PCOS symptoms.
Right now my BF% is 35...I do hope to get around 20 or so.....
Anyway thanks for easing my mind.
Hey Amy,

I also have PCOS and weight training significantly improved my symptoms, along with WW & cardio training (Turbo Jam). At first I was just doing WATP w/o weights and I still was not getting AF even though I was losing weight. However, once I amped up my cardio to Turbo and started lifting weights did I begin to have normal cycles (and I mean textbook normal ). I have come to conclude that the weights & lifestyle changes made the difference

Exercising is one the best thing for PCOS sufferers. Trust me, I know!!!

Lovewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:59 AM   #5  
Bringing Sexy Back!

S/C/G: 125kg/125kg/70kg

Height: 164cm

My gyno told me that I can lose weight through healthy eating, but if I want to get PCOS in complete control I HAVE to exercise and weights were an important part of it. I do cardio for at least half an hour a week, and weights twice a week (am building up to three) and its really helped.
Renny Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:33 PM   #6  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

I feel 85% better when I'm working out on a daily basis. It really does make a major difference.

What I have found with the resistance training is that I tend to put on muscle very quickly. I know it has to do with my hormonal fluctuations, but I'm much happier toned and a little heavier.

Ironically, since I've become a fitness junkie my body shape has totally changed. I was busty and carrying a lot of weight around my waist. Now I have a toned body and a tiny waist. I kind of like the hourglass figure.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:48 AM   #7  

That was something else I was wondering about. With high testosterone do you bulk up more than an average female? Like grossly? OR jsut somewhat? I am a bit obsessive and would not want to get manly looking because of teh high testosterone.
Glad to hear that weight training does improve symptoms though..That would be awesome.
BTW what type of weights are you ladies doing? What type of routines?
Would love to hear what you have had success with..
Amy
Old 04-08-2007, 02:09 PM   #8  
WW Moderator

You might have higher testosterone levels than the average non PCOS female, but definitely not the bulking up kind! You'll be safe. For a good routine for beginners, I suggest getting Body For Life for Women. Great routines for beginners (and you can stick with it long term, really) and you can take or leave the nutrition part. She divides the book in to different sections. However, the nutrition is PCOS friendly. Good carbs and protein at each meal.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:27 PM   #9  

Glad i will be safe. I do tend to get large muscles in my arms fairly quickly but other than that have never noticed anything unusual.
I will have to see about checking that book out!
Old 04-08-2007, 10:33 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would second body for life for women as well.

The other thing I'd mention is that even though you may have more testosterone than the 'average" woman, it takes years of using heavy weights to actually bulk up and to even see those muscles, you'd need a low body fat percentage. The body builder women that you often see pictures of usually have a BF percentage of 10% or maybe lower.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote