Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 03-28-2007, 03:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/274/200

Height: 5-7

Default did i binge?

not sure if this is considered binging but
last nite i went to KFC and got 10 half/ wings with no sauce
i ate 6-7 of them and threw the others out....this was like 10pm at night
then when i got home i had 2 spoons full of cooked greens

I FELT SO GUILTY LAST NIGHT and couldn't wait to post this thread to see what you all think?

Earlier in the day I didn't eat breakfast ( i know i was supposed to but no time)

I had a salad for lunch and a salad for dinner and snacked on a small bag of pretzels afterwards....

anyway today starts me monitoring my caloric intake...

my fitday reading recorded almost 3000 calories which explains in part why my weight has "plateaued" despite me going to the gym and working out almost everyday (saturdays off)...

so starting today i am trying to not go about 1800 calories
also doing low carb by the way

it's so hard but i'm trying my best to stay focused....

still, am i or did i binge???!?!?!?
slenderapproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

6-7 chicken wings doesn't seem like a lot.

How did you add up to 3000 calories between 2 salads, pretzels and those chicken wings?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:05 PM   #3  

hi nelie,
I'm in MD too

well i had caesar salad's that contained romaine, italian cheese, bacon bits.....
did i mention my bag o' pretzels?

i will just copy and paste my fitday if it works.....

oh i see i forgot to mention (wow, maybe i'm in some sort of denial) the 2 snack wraps i had after leaving the GYM!!!!!!

Calories Eaten Today
grams cals %total
Total: 2964
Fat: 148 1335 45%
Sat: 32 292 10%
Poly: 3 26 1%
Mono: 3 30 1%
Carbs: 274 1000 34%
Fiber: 24 0 0%
Protein: 155 619 21%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

Fat Carbs
Protein Alcohol

Today's Foods
Food Name Servings Serving Size Cals Fat Carb Prot
Snack Wrap™ with Ranch serving 330 16 32 14
Snack Wrap™ with Chipotle serving 309 14 33 14
snyder's bag of pretzels serving 240 2 56 6
KFC Extra Crispy Chicken Wings 4 of them serving 1350 63 99 99
Kale, cooked, from fresh, NS as to fat added in cooking cup, freshQuantity not specified 105 6 11 4
My Caesar Salad serving 471 45 6 13
Corn, sweet, yellow, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt cupkernels from 1 earcup cut 159 2 37 5
Totals 2964 148 274 155
Old 03-28-2007, 04:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

My 2 cents is that in terms of volume consumed that was not a binge. I'd classify that more as a poorly chosen snack. The grey area, though, is your mindset when you were eating it. Even though you stopped eating before you did serious damage to your program (congrats on that - we know how hard that is to do), if you were in that "binge mindset" (I assume we all know it), it's a red flag for you.

Looking at what you ate yesterday, I'd say the reason for your poorly chosen snack is clearly that you let yourself get too hungry during the day. I'd say you need to eat breakfast EVERY DAY. If you're not hungry when you get up, wait an hour, but definitely have something, even if it's just a yoghurt or something. And while salads are great, eating ONLY salads all day is a) not enough calories, b) not enough to fill you up, so will eventually lead to a binge, and c) not very nutritionally balanced. I think that your choice of snack says a lot - chicken wings. Your body must have known it needed some protein and calories.

Track your calories if it will help you, but aim for a little moderation and variety in your diet. You didn't gain the weight all at once, so eating salads for every meal to lose it quickly is not going to be a sustainable solution. I remember another thread you started regarding a plateau... you've done very well so far, but it sounds like you're having difficulty being patient. Permanent weight loss takes time, so don't be too hard on yourself. Pick (or develop) a program you can see yourself living with permanently, accept that you're in this for the long haul, then just do the program and let the weight loss happen in its own good time. Good luck!
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #5  
Just Me

Wow, 4 chicken wings are 1350 calories?! When I looked up the regular chicken wings from KFC, they listed at 500 calories for 6 of them. Back away from the chicken wings...

I would agree that you had some badly chosen snacks. Also I'd say the snack wraps were poorly chosen snacks as well.

Try to make sure you are getting some lean proteins and filling vegetables to help lower your calories. Also, I'd work on not relying on takeout/fast food.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:37 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

If it felt like a binge and you have the guilt of a binge, then consider it a binge, regardless of actual quantity or caloric total. A binge is different for everyone, and if what you ate was eaten uncontrolably/mindlessly and was more than you would normally eat, then that sounds like a binge to me.

Of course, whether or not you should technically call it a "binge" really doesn't matter one bit--what matters is that you think about why and how it happened and try to work on not falling into those same circumstances again.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:04 PM   #7  

Talking

thanks janie
lol can't believe i'm talking about chicken but nelie it was the kind that you can dip the sauce on but i asked them not too...
since kfc's website doesn't list the nutrition info without dipping the sauce i just estimated 4 extra crispy regular wings since they are whole wings

)

you know sometimes you have to make do with what you got LOL!

but thanks!!!!

and you know what i'll just say I'm a "recovering binger" because i use to down whole bags of doritios cheese curl twist atleast 1 time every two weeks before i started this weight loss thing!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:33 PM   #8  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
[color=indigo]If it felt like a binge and you have the guilt of a binge, then consider it a binge, regardless of actual quantity or caloric total. A binge is different for everyone, and if what you ate was eaten uncontrolably/mindlessly and was more than you would normally eat, then that sounds like a binge to me.
Exactly. We had a thread a few weeks ago about what everyone considered a binge and everybody had their own "criteria" for themselves because everyone is different.
But I agree with Jill. If you think that it is a binge then it is. Even if I have a handful of cookies, if I didn't feel in control and felt totally guilty then I tend to think of it as a "binge."
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:34 PM   #9  
Just Me

Improvement is good. I used to eat crazy things (1/2 of ice cream, a box of "fat boys", whole loaf of french bread) but my current binges/eating episodes aren't as extreme but they are still a sign that something is wrong with me and how I deal with food. I'm working on improving. You can improve too and hopefully it'll get better every day.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:15 PM   #10  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

Something I read in a cognitive-behavioral workbook about binge eating was that there are two kinds of binges, (if I remember correctly, and I am NOT a psychologist

Objective binges
are when you eat more than X number of calories in a single sitting.

Subjective binges are when you eat any amount of calories, but feel out of control.
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:53 AM   #11  

Default hey everyone, i think i figured out the science to this thing

and i am by no means an expert

(also wondering if weight watchers works like this....)

okay so Tuesday I ate approx 3,000 calories
I cut that down to approx 1,200 on Wed (not by starving)
Thursday 1,300

so it's early early early Friday morning and i couldn't help but peak and weigh myself on the scale

i'm down to 276

i truly believe that i was eating too much even though i was working out
and everything....

i'm going to eat approx 1200 to 1800 calories for the next couple of weeks and see how that works

than k you all for your advice and help!!!!