LA Weight Loss - ~Fiber Fanatics~ 03/21/07

View Full Version : ~Fiber Fanatics~ 03/21/07

GinaXOXO
03-22-2007, 12:56 PM
We welcome everyone with tips, recipes, support and general conversation. Wed love to hear how the boosting of fiber has helped you consistently lose weigh. We'll report our fiber count daily or weekly, whatever works best for you.

If your goal is to lose body fat, increasing your fiber intake can help in three ways:

The typical adult consumes less than 20 grams of fiber per day. This is about 50% of the recommended amount of dietary fiber for good health.Eat Fiber to Lose Body Fat.
1. High fiber foods can help control appetite by reducing insulin
levels in the blood, a hormone that stimulates appetites.
2. The body uses more energy to digest and absorb high fiber
foods than refined or low fiber foods (burns more calories)
3. High fiber foods are filling but low in fat (many are fat free)

High Fiber Foods:

Generally require more chewing time giving your body time to register when you're no longer hungry, so you're less likely to overeat.

Tends to make a meal feel larger and linger longer, so you stay full for a greater amount of time.

Less "energy dense," which means they have fewer calories for the same volume of food.

Speeding up the time it takes food to pass through the large intestines, thereby diluting toxic and carcinogenic compounds

Helpful for those who want to lose weight, since fiber absorbs water so you feel full and satisfied throughout the day.

Can help improve your eating habits, which can lead to weight loss and more energy!

GinaXOXO
03-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Hi!! Where is everyone??

Last night I had a party that I went to. Fiber really is filling because I didn't eat before I went and for once I didn't have to use sheer willpower to eat right because I felt too "fluffy" to eat! I did ok but did have a couple glasses of wine.

Bobbi: I thought I could copy and paste your heading but it came up as a plain text. Is there a better way??

Yesterday:

Breakfast:
orange, oatmeal, skim milk (11g)

Lunch:
bean soup (with naughty crackers) (9g)

Dinner:
nothing really but a lot of snacks
baked lays (4)
pickle rolls (0)
junior mints (0)
wine (0)

I gotta to tell you I am a little nervous about this working because I feel like I am gaining. I feel less fluffy today but that is probably because I didn't meet my 35 g yesterday.

I am not sure about the calories or fat. I will figure that up later.

Take care

nelie
03-22-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm not sure we'd want a daily thread, it really depends how much traffic there is. We could try weekly threads or even monthly threads.

I'm busy snacking on my carrots.

meowee
03-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Wow . . . this was certainly a shock . . . I was thinking a monthly thread was a great idea. This is moving a bit too fast for me. . . there were only 19 entries in the other one.

alinnell
03-22-2007, 02:47 PM
I agree, at least a weekly thread is sufficient.

I belong to another group (labradors!!!) and post on their weight loss thread. When I first joined, it was a daily thread and it got too confusing. they've since switched to a weekly thread and it works much better. Sometimes the monthly threads get way, way too long.

So far today 11 grams!!! I have fiber one on my grocery list for the weekend. By next week, I hope to up in the 35-40 gram per day range.

rockinrobin
03-22-2007, 02:57 PM
I agree with all the others. A daily is just too frequent. I think a monthly would work better.

So far today I've had about 25 grams of fiber. I say about because I just had a stir fry for lunch and did not measure my broccoli and spinach.

Allinnel, buy more then one box of the stuff. You're gonna love it and go through it quickly - at least I hope so.

meowee
03-22-2007, 03:49 PM
OOPS . . . almost forgot why I actually came here . . . yesterday's fibre = 67 grams.

Also . . . Just want to remind everybody that as well as keeping the fibre high, we need to make sure we eat as much good healthy stuff as we can.

Will post today's count later on. Keep things moving and shaking gang . . . :carrot:

Bev
03-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Hi everyone,

well yesterday I had 35 grams of fiber. So far today I have had 27.2 grams of fiber. I would prefer a weekly thread instead of a monthly one. I really hope this gassy feeling goes away soon.

bev

GinaXOXO
03-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Ok, my bad. I thought Bobbi said whoever got here first could start it. That implied to me that "we" wanted a daily thread. Whatever.

Now about Fiber. Did anyone else feel like they were gaining weight at first when they increased their fiber? I don't want to get on the scale because I think that could de-rail me if there really is a gain. I am asking because I need to know if this "feeling" is normal at the beginning of the program or if I need to re-group and make some changes. Bev are you only feeling gassy or are you feeling bloated like I am??

Also, I am having thyroid problems and that might have a little to do with retention. I have been taking medicine for it for a few years and suddenlty my levels dropped. I will start increasing my dosage tomorrow after a visit to the pharmacy. I can't wait to get my groove back. Darn thyroid!!

Gina

Bev
03-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Gina, I am also bloated. For me I think it is because my body is not use to getting so much fiber. Maybe we should have slowly increased to 35 grams instead of doing it all at once. Maybe something like 25 grams for a week or two and them increase it to 35 grams. I might try this to see if it helps me any.

Bev

Bobbolink
03-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi gang......My pc's been down since 6:30a.m. and the repairman just left, he replace some stuff so I missed yaking today.

Sorry If I gave you the wrong impression Gina, I didn't mean a daily thread, I meant monthly. Don't worry about the script, I'll correct it when I post the April Thread.

I'll catch up with you all tomorrow!

Bobbi :joker:

GinaXOXO
03-22-2007, 11:27 PM
I have read that we should gradually increase our fiber. That is just so hard for my "type a" personality. Do you think if we keep going fo the 35 g that eventually our bodies will settle?? I don't know. I think you are right but I am just having a hard time with "not doing it by the book".

Gina

walking2lose
03-22-2007, 11:33 PM
Hi girls!

The last three days were good

50 grams
47 today.

I am feeling pretty good.

More later!

mamabanana
03-22-2007, 11:56 PM
Has anybody read te F-Factor Diet book? I just got it and am halfway through, its great on this topic!

GinaXOXO
03-23-2007, 12:11 AM
MamaBanana: the F-Factor is what got me interested in fiber. I was looking for something because just eating low carb wasn't working for me. As I was searching I ran across F-Factor but in the reviews there was mention of a "required wafer" that I didn't like. A reviewer of F-Factor led me to Fiber35. Please share anything you feel is insightful. I think both are great. You stats are great!!

Gina

meowee
03-23-2007, 07:56 AM
Good Morning . . . :hug:

Just a quick report . . . yesterday's fibre total was only 44 . . . because of the eye surgery I'm trying to up my protein intake for a few days to aid the healing. In order to maintain a reasonable calorie level, when protein goes up, carbs have to come down . . . if carbs come down so does the fibre. ;)

Yes, I do think your body will get used to the added fibre. Remember that it is very, very important to make sure you are getting lots of water . . . the way fibre works to keep you feeling full is by absorbing water so if you don't have enough, things in your intestines may get rather dried out and sluggish. Also don't forget that carb and fibre automatically go together so it is pretty difficult to get lots of fibre on a really low carb diet.

Have a great day, gang . . . keep things moving and shaking . . . see you later. :carrot:

HotDoc
03-23-2007, 09:35 AM
i was reading this forum yesterday, so i thought it would be interesting to see how much fiber i consumed, so yesterday i kept track. 69 grams!!!! YIKES! that has to be too much right? it's just that i ( like any other dieter) like whole grain and high fiber foods for obvious reasons. does anyone else eat that much?

nelie
03-23-2007, 10:24 AM
HotDoc - I'm not sure that I would classify that as bad but it is a lot. I try to eat very fibrous foods but I know I'm no where near that. Are you getting enough protein and fats in as well? I'd just want to make sure your diet is balanced and that you aren't sacrificing other things in order to get fiber in. If you are getting a good amount of protein and fat as well in your diet, then I wouldn't worry about the fiber.

ThinWithin225
03-23-2007, 10:27 AM
Hi! I'd love to join in this little corner of the board! I am 39yr old school nurse/mom of two teenagers!:dizzy: We are following a sugarbusters type diet as my kids are both insulin resistant. HOWEVER, I am finding that I am constantly hungry and there fore grazing through the day! That's not going to work! I am going to try upping the fiber and protein and see if that helps! I bought some fiber one yesterday and the kids really liked it. They were just munching right from the bag! I can see using it as a salad topping or chinese noodles in a stir fry easily! I brought some today to try in my yogurt. I made a veggie couscous last night that was yummy too! I added shredded carrots, green onion, mushrooms, tomatoes and a can of cannellini beans! I brought some to have with my sandwich for lunch.

Everyone have a great weekend!:)

ThreeBoysAndUs
03-23-2007, 10:37 AM
I was a big fiber fan, but have trouble finding enough in my diet ( I have Celiacs). I do eat a great deal of vegetables, and beans. I am missing the grains!

Bobbolink
03-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Good Morning Girls!
Wednesday's calories 1,222
Fat...21%
Fiber...59 grams

Thursday's Calories 907 (low because I had a large Albacore Tuna salad for supper)
Fat... 20 grams/20%
Fiber...49 grams
Carbs...150grams/46%
Protein... 76 grams/33%
HotDoc... I average about 62 grams of fiber daily so I don't think 69 is out of line.
i was reading this forum yesterday, so i thought it would be interesting to see how much fiber i consumed, so yesterday i kept track. 69 grams!!!! YIKES! that has to be too much right? it's just that i ( like any other dieter) like whole grain and high fiber foods for obvious reasons. does anyone else eat that much?
ThinWithin... :welcome: I always eat my Fiber One dry, it's yuky to me when added to milk. I love it sprinkled on top of FF/SF puddings and applesauce. I've made crust out of it for SF Coconut Cream pie too! But decided it was too much work so now I just sprinkle it on top. I'm glad your kids like it and the calories are so low compared to other cereals. You might want to look for "Flat Out" wraps too, they are huge, 90 calories, 9 grams fiber plus no sugar. These work great for sandwich wraps or you can toast them in the oven and top with pizza sauce, FF cheese and Turkey pepperoni. Delish!
I like to toast them with Cinnamon & Splenda/Stevia and top with applesauce.

Hi everyone else, we're on our way into town for errands and the Fitness center, catch ya all later.

meowee
03-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Most people do not get too much fibre . . . I often hit those kind of fibre numbers and I agree with Nelie that as long as you are not sacrificing other nutrients and eating only (or almost only) carbs, you are fine . . .

. . . maybe we should post more than just our fibre intake, gang . . . just so we can see that we are staying in a healthy balance . . . I will do that today. My general targets are as follows . . . 50 grams fat; 200 grams carb (40 fibre) and 100 grams protein . . . for a daily calorie average of 1650. In the general range of 25% fat; 50% carbs; 25% protein. I've been eating more protein the past couple of days because I'm trying to help the eye heal as quickly as possible and consequently my calories have been closer to 1800.

Anyway, better get about my business. Hope everybody keeps things moving and shaking today. See you soon . . . :carrot:

Bobbolink
03-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Meowee...............Good idea, I went back and edited my post to include protein and carbs.
Now can someone tell me the perfect balance/% of what it should look like?

alinnell
03-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Ooooh. This morning, I wanted BOTH my ww tortilla w/PB and banana AND my Fiber One cereal.....what to do? I ended up omitting the banana and stuffing the tortilla with Fiber One! Crunchy and good. Made the tortilla a little more like eating toast with PB! Maybe next time I'll do BOTH the banana and the fiber one!

GinaXOXO
03-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Linda: thank you for the tip about water. I do drink a lot but a big portion of my water (half maybe) is crystal light. I use to drink diet MT Dew and switched . . . I love Crystal Light (pink lemonaide) and thought it counted for my water total, is that right??

Hot Doc: I think it is ok too. When I get home to the fiber35 book I know she says something like 35 grams are great and 55-65 is even better. I will double check. Is that what you normally eat?? You weren't even trying to get the extra fiber??? Amazing.

She talks about celiacs on her PBS special. She said that there are gluton free products that are really good. I bet she has something about that on the website.

Thank you for the Fiber 1 and pudding tip! I had honey cluster F1 and chocolate pudding--I wasn't sure how they would taste mixed but it was good!

Allison I would have never thought of that! Do you use the Fiber 1 twigs??

I am only tracking my calories, fat, and fiber.

B: oatmeal, milk, banana
L: hamburger, bun, poppers
D: chicken tortilla
S: pudding and fiber 1

I was over on calories and fat and under on fiber.

C: 1600
Fa: 55
Fi:25

Not a good day but I am moving on and forgetting it.

Gina

meowee
03-23-2007, 05:57 PM
BOBBI . . . :hug: I don't think there is only one "perfect" breakdown of fat/carb/protein . . . it depends on the plan you are following. Every plan is a little different and every body is a little different

FAT: About the only thing you see fairly consistently is that fat should not be above 30% of calories and saturated should not be above 10% of calories. But some plans, put total fat as low as 10%. PROTEIN: A lot of medical evidence (not diet plans) puts forth a good level of protein at approximately .4 grams per pound of body weight; but more is recommended for those over 50 (about .5 to .6 grams per pound, depending on age) and lots more for a professional athlete (or wannabe). CARBS: Oh my, different plans put carbs all over the map. The really low-carb plans (old Atkins, for example) went as low as 10 to 20 percent of calories. The Zone (and I think South Beach) are more along the lines of 40%. The old, high carb, low fat plans, sometimes went as high as 65% carb.

As I mentioned, mine breaks at about 25% fat; 50% carbs; 25% protein. As a diabetic, I tend to look at net carbs a lot. If I apply only net carbs; things work out closer to 30% / 40% / 30%

Don't know if this information has helped at all . . . maybe just managing to confuse everyone even more . . . :dizzy:

GINA . . . :hug: IMHO, I think Crystal Light is fine to count as water; although I would perhaps recommend a little less CL and a little more plain water (because of the artificial sweetner load). I love the pink lemonade, too . . . also Raspberry Iced Tea and Peach Iced Tea flavours. I don't count diet soda (we call it POP in Canada) as water because most of it has caffeine which acts like a diuretic and so has a dehydrating impact on the body and, of course, it has a very heavy load of sweetner. I'm one of the lucky ones in that plain water (preferably ice-cold) is actually my beverage of choice.

Well I'd better get going and get the cats fed and then myself . . . Think a good 6 ounces of chicken with a little mango-lime salsa, and a really big salad sounds good tonight.

Have a good moving and shaking evening, everybody . . . see you later . . :carrot:

meowee
03-24-2007, 07:16 AM
Happy Saturday Morning . . . :hug:

Just dropping in to record my totals for yesterday: Calories - 1440; Fat - 34 grams (21%); Carb - 182 grams (51%); Protein - 101.5 grams (28%); Fibre 40.5 grams.

Thought I'd found a great new cereal . . . WeightWatchers Fibre 'n Flakes . . . per half cup - 90 cals, 17 carb grams; 9 fibre; 9 protein; 1 fat; sweetened with splenda . . . It tastes far too sweet to me. I'll probably finish the box, but won't be buying it again. I do not like anything sweeter than the natural taste of fruit for brekkie but thought I'd mention it in case somebody else might like to try it. I got it at WalMart.

Okay, gang . . . see you all later. Keep things moving and shaking today. :carrot:

Bobbolink
03-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Slow day huh?
Yesterday's Journal:
Calories... 1,078
Fiber... 67 grams
Thanks Meowee for the breakdown, It was very helpful and I made a copy of it. I noticed the W.Watchers Fiber & Flakes on the store shelves, maybe it would be good packaged in zip bags and eaten as a sweet treat away from home. I usually take something with when visiting my dad, they always have sweet cakes/bars/cookies, etc. I don't have problems resisting them since I'm not a big sweet eater but I like something to gnaw on while everyone else is pigging out. DH is roasting a whole chicken for supper tonight and it smells devine. I think I'll go set the table, see ya all!
Bobbi

meowee
03-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Good Idea BOBBI . . . I'll try it that way . . . thanks. :hug: It definitely doesn't cut it as cereal but might make a great snack. I'll let you know.

meowee
03-24-2007, 05:48 PM
BTW . . . I notice you didn't post everything again . . . are you just going back to posting just calories and fibre?

Also . . . I'm curious about your Thursday totals . . . Where did you get your numbers? My calc is in red. The 20% differential could make a lot of difference for someone who's as close to goal as you are. You are doing so great. :hug: Even if I use the Net Carbs (see blue), I still get slightly different numbers than you did; although this time close enough to make me think that net carbs is what you are using.

Thursday's Calories 907 -- total = 1084 -- 888

Fat... 20 grams/20% -- x 9 = 180 / 17% -- 20%
Fiber...49 grams -- x 4 = 196; therefore Net carbs = 404 -- 46%
Carbs...150grams/46% -- x 4 = 600 / 55%
Protein... 76 grams/33% -- x 4 = 304 / 28% -- 34%

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not trying to nit-pik you to death here . . . just want us all to get on the same page so we are comparing apples to apples. ;) I'm happy to do either Total carbs or Net carbs -- just need to know which everybody else prefers.

Bobbolink
03-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Meowee....I'm still going to post everything but I didn't have time today. As far as Thursday's stats, I took those figures right off my Fitday. I'm not sure what you're doing with the blue and red figures, I don't really pay much attention to the stats on Fitday. I do closely watch the calories and fiber, the other stuff I don't pay much attention. They probably mess up our stats too! The only thing I've noticed while getting closer to goal is how my weight loss slowed down. That's when I started doubling my fiber and the pace picked up again. I'm down .5 pound this morning but won't change my ticker yet.
The Fitday is terrible about accurately showing the calories burned, everyone I know has to put in more time than they actually did to get the calories burned come out. I'm not sure if I answered your question, I'll check in tomorrow with the stats on today's menu . Good Night!
Bobbi

meowee
03-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Since I use a programme of my own, I really don't know what Fitday is doing but it looks like net carbs based on your totals; doesn't it tell you somewhere what it does? . . . all I did was use basic mathematics to arrive at both the red numbers and the blue numbers; based on the number of grams of each nutrient that you reported. The red ones show totals and percentages based on using total carbs; the blue ones redo the calcs using only Net Carbs (since the fibre grams really have no impact because they are not digested). I thought it was pretty straight forward. Sorry if I confused you. :hug:

When I clicked on your Fitday link (to see if I could verify what it does) it took me to a page dated February 19 and said it was the latest entry???? On that page I don't see fibre listed anywhere by the way. I'm getting more and more confused.

BTW -- here are my numbers for today -- every way I can think of to give them --

Total Calories - 1933; Carbs - 200 grams / 41%; Fat - 63 grams / 29%; Protein - 141.5 grams / 29% . . . Fibre - 49 grams

Net Calories - 1737; Carbs - 151 grams / 35%; Fat 63 grams / 33%; Protein - 141.5 grams / 33% . . . Fibre is still 49 grams

Bobbolink
03-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Saturday's Fitday journal:
Calories... 1,056
Fat... 28 grams/24%
Carbs... 174 grams/45%
Fiber... 58 grams
Protein... 75 grams/29%

4:00 a.m. 1 serving Fiber One-dry (dummy dog wakes me up every morning about this time and I can't get back to sleep)

Breakfast: (at a normal hour)
2 egg white omelet with left-over stir fry and Elk mixed in, 1 slice FF cheese
2 sliced low cal toast
Salsa
Lunch: 1 serving Fiber One!~dry (too busy to stop and cook)

Afternoon snack: All Bran snack crackers

Supper:
Roasted Chicken, Green Bean casserole, baked potato with FF sour cream

Evening snack: Jello-0/cream cheese dessert topped with FF/SF cool whip and F. One
FF Milk
I had planned on a bag of popcorn to get my calories up but I was too full from supper.
MeoweeSince I use a programme of my own, I really don't know what Fitday is doing but it looks like net carbs based on your totals; doesn't it tell you somewhere what it does?
I don't know what Fitday is doing either and I'm not that much of a perfectionist to care. Thank you for caring:hug:
The only thing I care about is losing weight and Fitday has helped me stay focused. Yesterday I was down 1/2 pound and today I'm down another 1/2 pound, for a total of 1.5 pounds in the last 3 days. I'm going to change my ticker tomorrow when I weigh into the "Biggest Losers" thread.
The reason my Fitday shows one posting is because I have the paid version of Fitday and they don't have that option of transfering over my records. It made me mad and I contacted them, they said they were working on it. I'd have to sign up for the free one to get my records transfer over, which I did for one day only. Too much work, it's easier if I just type in my menu like I did above. (I do this on the Calories Counting thread) Hope that answers all your questions, now I have to get ready for church. See Ya!
Bobbi

meowee
03-25-2007, 01:17 PM
Definitely looks like NET CARBS . . . so I'll do Net as well . . . and congratulations . . . looks like you will definitely be at goal for your weigh-in. :hug:

BTW . . . where is everybody else hiding out?

Bev
03-25-2007, 04:23 PM
I am still here but I just have not tracked what I am eatten this weekend.

bev

GinaXOXO
03-25-2007, 11:24 PM
Hi! I haven't tracked this weekend. I am been on and off program and it changes from meal to meal.

I don't do well when my routine has something out of the ordinary . . . we had a busy (read: fun) weekend.

Take care!!

Gina

Bobbolink
03-26-2007, 08:03 AM
Good Morning Everyone!
I had a fantastic week-end. I exercised longer and skipped my nightly popcorn last night so I wouldn't have salt retention this morning for weigh in. I'm down 3 pounds, my goal was 135 and I'm 134.5 this morning. I took my measurement for Fitday when I first started and my waist is down 6 inches.
Yesterday's calories.... 1,144 and fiber was 52 grams. I was fooling around with my Fitday last night and changed my settings to show what I was most interested in, calories and fiber. I decided I wouldn't bother with protein, carbs, etc. I don't pay any attention to them anyway and my current plan is working great. I do need to work on getting my olive oil in everyday, that fat is so important. I found a recipe for high fiber muffins that I might make today.
Have a good high fiber day everyone! :wave:
Bobbi
Low-Fat Blueberry Bran Muffins
"These muffins are just as delicious and moist as regular muffins! They'll be gone before they have time to cool. Low-fat, healthy and yummy, imagine that."

Original recipe yield:
12 muffins
PREP TIME
15 Min
COOK TIME
20 Min

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups wheat bran
1 cup nonfat milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 egg (I'll use 2 egg whites instead)
2/3 cup brown sugar (I'll use Splenda Brown sugar here)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup blueberries
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or use paper muffin liners. Mix together wheat bran and milk, and let stand for 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, mix together applesauce, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla. Beat in bran mixture. Sift together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir into bran mixture until just blended. Fold in blueberries. Scoop into muffin cups.
Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly tapped.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/Image1.gif
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/Image2.gif
NUTRITION INFORMATION
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 123
Total Fat: 1g
Cholesterol: 18mg
Sodium: 244mg
Total Carbs: 28.1g
Dietary Fiber: 4.3g
Protein: 3.7g

rockinrobin
03-26-2007, 08:22 AM
CONGRATULATIONS BOBBI!!!!!

You've surpassed your goal. Amazing, simply amazing. You must be feeling pretty spectacular this morning. WAY TO GO!!! :carrot: :carrot:

GinaXOXO
03-26-2007, 01:49 PM
http://www.wpclipart.com/office/office_clipart/way_to_go.png

Bobbi, I was looking forward to celebrate your goal but I wasn't expecting it so soon! Way to go!!

Gina

GinaXOXO
03-26-2007, 01:54 PM
I am back on program. My weight is ok but my official weigh in is on Thursday. The 4 pounds are still off. This may sound like an excuse but I was thinking that someone with thyroid problems, like me, might be doing themselves a favor by being somewhat inconsistent. I guess I am thinking of the "starvation theory". I have a hard time with my metabolism . . . especially keeping warm. It is a lot better when I exercise!

So far I have only 4 grams of fiber. For breakfast I had a bowl of oatmeal and nothing else. NOrmally I have an orange.

Should we have a question of the day??

Bev
03-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Congrats Bobbi. The motivation you have to lose the weight is amazing. There are so many temptations out there for me that I don't think I will ever get to my goal weight. I should not complain though since I have lost 20lbs.

I am also on track today. For breakfast I had 19.5 grams of fiber. I am getting in the fiber but keeping my calories down is a different story.

have a great day

bev

GinaXOXO
03-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Hey Sister Bev~I wondered how you were doing.

I can't remember who had the Fiber35 book and who didn't but my impression from what I read was that you could lose weight without watching the calories as long as you keep your fiber at 35. Just slower. As I remember it she says to watch the calories and you will lose faster. I could be wrong. I watch the calories but not carefully. I should take some time and review the book again.

My sister does Weight Watchers Core and Core doesn't require you to watch calories. She was "careful" with her portions. Eventually she said that she doesn't worry at all about portions because her cravings are different now and she doesn't feel out of control. Maybe that is how Fiber35 would work without watching calories?? I don't know. My point is not to worry too much . . . by looking at your stats maybe you already know that??

You are doing great! Only 15 to go. I am glad to see you are doing well and back on plan.

Gina

Bobbolink
03-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Good Morning!
Yesterday's calories @ 1,135 and a whopping 77 grams of fiber. I was really short of calories before bed so I ate a serving of All Bran crackers (really good) and Fiber One Honey Cluster cereal, both high in fiber.
I purchased the cluster type cereal for DH, it's not bad but I prefer the original Fiber One. It has only 60 calories and the clusters has 160 calories. I also made one of my favorite soups, Sweet Sour Cabbage soup. That's high in fiber too! I'll post the recipe later today. I usually make a batch then, freeze it in individual servings for quick low calorie lunches. I had leftover roasted chicken and some really delicious homemade broth that I made from the chicken bones so I added that to my soup. Yummy!
Bev.... Do you use Fitday? What kind of reducing plan are you on, the Fiber35? There are so many temptations out there for me that I don't think I will ever get to my goal weight. I should not complain though since I have lost 20lbs. Congrats on the twenty pounds. What are your temptations? Oh so many questions I have. You obviously are doing something right to have dropped 20 pounds. Tell all:rofl:
Gina... I have a hard time with my metabolism . . . especially keeping warm. It is a lot better when I exercise! I didn't know it was metabolism that kept my hands like ice all the time. My hands are always cold. My feet would be too if I didn't wear socks.
My tummy is growling, time for breakfast.
Bobbi

Bev
03-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Hi everyone,

Well I just recieved the book Fiber35 from amazon. I can't wait until i have the time to sit down and read it. I am tracking my fiber and calories using Calorie King on my PDA. I like having it on my palm because it is so handy. I wouldn't say I am on Fiber35 per say since I have not read the book yet, but I try and eat at least 35 grams of fiber and most days watch my calories. I would love to keep it at 1200 calories but I always seem to go above that. I average about 1400 calories. Most weeks I exercise monday-Friday. Saturday my kids have soccer and Sunday is church.

My temptations are junk food. I do great up until 3pm and then I go crazy. I love chocolate.

I can't believe I have stuck to counting my fiber for two weeks. I am the type of person who has a problem sticking to anything longer than a week. I have tried weight weights but I can't seem to stick to it for very long.

So far today I have had 35 grams of fiber.

Have a great night everyone

bev

Bev
03-27-2007, 09:08 PM
Gina... I didn't know it was metabolism that kept my hands like ice all the time. My hands are always cold. My feet would be too if I didn't wear socks.

I also have the same problem. My family doesn't like when I touch them because my hands are ice cold. Like Bobbi, my feet would be the same if I didn't wear socks.

bev

nelie
03-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Hi all. I've been sick for the past few days so my eating has been pretty off.

I just wanted to report that I got the fiber35 shakes and bars. I tried both yesterday. They are both decent and I do like the ingredients. Although I was looking for something else last night and I ran across a bar that has 14 g of fiber, 160 calories and lots of good ingredients. Turns out, it is the same exact company/owner as Fiber35. The bars are still expensive (39 for $18 online) but I decided to order a box and try them as well since I was already ordering some other stuff. It is called ReNew Life Organic food bars (or something similar to that). If you are looking at the Fiber35 bars, you might want to look at the ReNew Life ones instead.

GinaXOXO
03-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Nelie, I am glad you are feeling better. Great tip about renew life!!

Everyone: a lot of you are doing well with eating lower calories. Can you tell me what you eat?? Do you have a daily breakdown of the calories that you allow for each meal?? This is something I saw:

Breakfast: 250
Lunch: 400
Snack: 50
Dinner: 450
Snack: 50

That would be 1200 calories. The person who uses this eats low fat and high fiber meals and uses this as a guide.

Gina

nelie
03-28-2007, 11:51 AM
My snacks and my meals are more even than that. I try to keep meals at about 250-350 calories each and snacks at about 150-200 calories each, give or take. I don't count calories exactly though but I do know that is generally where I fall WHEN I'm following my own plan.

Bev
03-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Gina,

Thanks for posting that breakdown of calories. I might try and follow that and see how it goes. 50 calories for a snack is pretty low. I couldn't be able to even eat my yogurt. I might have to play around with this numbers so that they work for me.

bev

Bobbolink
03-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Everyone: a lot of you are doing well with eating lower calories. Can you tell me what you eat?? Do you have a daily breakdown of the calories that you allow for each meal??
Gina... I have stayed at 1200 calories for the last 21 weeks and have no problem with being hungry. Usually it's more food than I can eat and I fall short of 1200 calories more often than not. This is yesterday's menu, hope it helps.

calories... 1,187
Fat... 16%
Fiber... 64 grams
Carbs... 58%
Protein... 25%
I don't pay any attention anymore about getting the right proportion. It differs everyday, depending on what I make for supper.

Early Morning:
Vitamins/Salmon oil= (10 cal)
Fiber One= (60 cal)

Breakfast:

French Toast made with
2 egg whites=(34 cal).
1 oz. Lt. vanilla soy milk= (9 cal)
3 slices low cal bread= (120 cal)
Cinnamon & Splenda

2 Tablespoons SF Maple syrup= (15cal)
1 slice Turkey bacon= (35 cal)

Midmorning snack: Applesauce (60 cal) spread with SF/FF Cool Whip (20 cal) and topped with Fiber One (60cal) Cinnamon (This is a yummy treat)

Lunch: 8 oz. homemade Tomato/Spinach soup (56 cal)
Toasted Flat Out (90cal) topped with SF Chocolate Pudding (40 cal) and SF/FF Cool Whip (20 cal)

Supper: Elk Cabbage Rolls with Tomato sauce ( 291 cal) and Winter Squash ( 84 cal)

Evening Snack: Mini Bag of Kettle Korn popcorn (100 cal) and glass of FF Milk (80 cal)

Neli... Is this working for you? That is, not counting calories? I'm a quantity eater, I don't think a 160 calorie bar would do it for me. I'll rather eat 160 calories of bulk foods than a bar. If you can consistently lose on this, good for you. Everybody knows their own bodies and what works for them.

Bev... Have you tried the Light Chocolate soy milk that's in the stores. It's really delicious and lower in calories than skim chocolate milk. If you heated it up and drank it slow, it might satisfy your chocolate craving.

Bobbi
My snacks and my meals are more even than that. I try to keep meals at about 250-350 calories each and snacks at about 150-200 calories each, give or take. I don't count calories exactly though but I do know that is generally where I fall WHEN I'm following my own plan.

Bobbolink
03-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Good Morning!
Yesterday's menu was pretty boring and much the same as the day before since we had left-over Elk Cabbabe Rolls, etc. I did finally make the pudding recipe I had for "scratch pudding" using Splenda, yummy. The recipe was for Banana pudding but I left out the bananas and substituted unsweetened coconut instead. It's to die for, 6 small serving @64 calories each. I can cut the calories even more next time I make it by using Guar gum instead of (corn starch, 120 calories) I might try using Stevia instead of the Splenda. Does anyone cook with Stevia?
Calories for Thursday... 1,163 Fiber... 64 grams
Someone on the Calorie Counting post listed a bunch of foods to eat that have high fiber, check it out.

GinaXOXO
03-30-2007, 11:36 PM
I haven't been here for a couple of days and thought it was going to take a lot of time to catch up. I am really disappointed. Where is everyone!! Please come out of lurking and post!! ANYTHING good or bad!

I took your advice about watching calories to heart. I am going to watch my points. I have all of the weight watcher materials and also am a member online. I am going to use the flex system but also track fat and fiber. I have done this for two days and it works really well. I can't believe how far my points go when I eat a lot of fiber and only a little fat. I am full!! I read volumetrics years ago and I think there are a lot of similiarities.

Today I had 67 grams of fiber!! I had 26 points and did turbo jam this morning. I don't feel as bloated.

THe bad news is that last night I had a gain. I am not sure what that was about. I felt bloated but that could be because of eating a little extra salt. I can't watch the salt . . . one thing at a time.

Take care and please come back and post!!

Gina

Bobbolink
03-31-2007, 10:52 AM
Good Morning!
Yesterday Calories... 1,242 and 64 grams of Fiber

Early Morning:
Vitamin Mix/Salmon Oil (If anyone is experiencing dry skin from reducing the fat in your menu, try a capsule a day of Salmon Oil.)It only adds 10 calories and worth it.
Dry Fiber One

Breakfast:
Egg white omelet with turkey & cheese, peach/pineapple salsa~2 slices lo-cal toast.

Lunch... (Too full from big breakfast)
Toasted Flat Out topped with Chocolate pudding, SF/FF cool whip and sprinkling of F.One.

Supper:
DH bought two huge pork chops, I only ate part of mine. I could have easily eaten the whole thing but I put the reins on. He was hungry for creamed peas so I took a plain serving off for myself then added the buttery white sauce to the balance. First thing he said was, aren't you going to eat some creamed peas? duh!!!!!!!!!! I re-heated some winter squash to have instead of the baked potato.

Evening snack: DH had a banana split and I made my own by using Coconut Pudding topped with fresh Blackberries, Cool whip and a sprinkling of F.One. The Fiber one made it taste like a pie. It was really yummy!
Gina...

I took your advice about watching calories to heart. I am going to watch my points. I have all of the weight watcher materials and also am a member online. I am going to use the flex system but also track fat and fiber. I have done this for two days and it works really well. I can't believe how far my points go when I eat a lot of fiber and only a little fat. I am full!! I read volumetrics years ago and I think there are a lot of similiarities.

Today I had 67 grams of fiber!! I had 26 points and did turbo jam this morning. I don't feel as bloated.

I think everyone took to heart the advantages of using more fiber and went back to their old stomping grounds. But that's a good thing, the more people realize the advantages, the more weight they'll lose.
I did Weight Watchers on-line just before I came back to 3FC's. I was using the Flex too, but I just didn't lose as fast as I wanted to on their plan. I purchased the little points tracker, that was a helpful tool. I still use the "No points" vegetable soup recipe, it's very good. They had to put a cap on the Fiber one because everyone was cheating with it. Glad it's working for you and great fiber yesterday, 67 grams is excellent.
I'm going to make breakfast now, have a good day!

GinaXOXO
03-31-2007, 01:15 PM
Hi! I am going to pick a color too because your posts look so nice!!

Your day yesterday was great!! You and I are a lot different. I would have had the peas. There has to be way of making them creamed but lighther. Maybe make a rouh from flour and chicken broth and then some milk and pepper. YUM!!

Anyway;

Breakfast: is always the same I love oatmeal

oatmeal, milk, orange 12 g fiber and 5 points

Lunch:

bean soup and 2 crackers 4 points and 8 grams of fiber

Dinner Subway sub and chips 12 points and 6 g of fiber

Snack: kettle corn 4 points and 40 g of fiber (yes, I ate the whole bag and then some!! My calculator says that the whole bag is one point. That is crazy so I counted it as 4 points. The positive thing is that I didn't graze all night!

Total fat was 26 grams.

Well, I am glad everyone has a "home" but I was hoping that a few of us would do the Fiber 35 diet together. I hope Bev is reading the book and will be back.

Oh, and the gain that I mentioned is off again!! So, I am really thrilled. I am working out a little harder so hopefully my metabolism will get a boost and help me out a little here!!

Gina

GinaXOXO
03-31-2007, 01:23 PM
I almost forgot that I am now using the Fiber35 colon cleanse. It didn't really come with directions so I called the number on the bottle. I am going to take 2 at night for 15 days. I can't really tell a difference because I was doing "ok" in that area with all of the fiber I have been eating. I will still do the cleanse because on the PBS special she showed all of the problems with not having a cleanse!!

Also, while I was talking to the customer support I found out that they are coming out with something that is a total cleanse and will clean the colon, liver, generally all the organs. One thing at a time. So far I am happy with this.

The company is called renew. I have always suspected that I have candida and really have wanted to do a cleanse and see what changes will occur for me. Renew has something called candi cleanse. I am going to look into that but not at this time.

Today I feel great so I am just going to keep doing what I am doing.

Gina

silverose1209
04-01-2007, 05:51 AM
This is my 1st post here. I try to get at least 35 g fiber each day. I usually do thanks to high fiber cereals.
I do question though if I am getting enough of soluable and insoluable? ANd if this is the ebst way to get the fiber..Would eating lots of veggies and fruits and beans be better? Or some combination?
Anyway look forward to learning more from everyone.
Also I am trying to find a high fiber cereal with no added sweetners or HFCS. Natural sweeteners are ok if a small amount..

Bobbolink
04-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Hi Silverrose, Welcome :welcome: I'm going to copy/paste your post over to the April thread.

This one is closed.

pgun3
04-03-2007, 07:53 PM
I have been eating the fiber one bars that have 9 grams of fiber in it. They give me terrible gas!! I mean like 5+ hours of Gas! Does anyone else have this problem? I thought the bars had xylitol in them (which also gives me gas) and they do not. Does anyone else have this problem w/these bars or with eating alot of fiber? How am I supposed to eat 35 gms of fiber per day if I feel this bad? I don't mind having gas if I can just let them go. But I can't I work at an office w/co-workers and patients.

What can I do?

Thanks

Penny