Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-21-2007, 10:01 PM   #1  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Feet and Knee Pain

My feet have been killing me for a long time and Im finally doing something about it.
I called today and made an appointment with a Podiatrist. They are booked up until May 2nd.

I have bone spurs on both heels and one on top of my foot right under my big toe. They hurt really bad. Its difficult to walk especially in the mornings and if I set down for a bit its bad when I get back up.

Im trying to lose weight and this is making it difficult. I need to exercise but not if it means that I cant walk the next couple days. I have been in misery for two days over my knees. I wanted to walk so bad today at the park but couldnt. I had to set on the bench while the kids played. I barely made the walk from the parking lot to the playground. My knees are stiff and its hard to walk.

My sister who is a RN said I probably have Osteoarthritis. I also need to see a Rheumatologist and get diagnosed.
I found one that takes my insurance so Im calling tomorrow to set up an appointment.
Kamily828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

I've had a bad knee most of my life. Rules out running and other high-impact activities. I can walk OK, but sometimes long distances make it a bit sore. My best activity is an elliptical trainer, which was recommended by my knee surgeon. Have you tried one of those? Seriously, it bothers my knee less than regular walking does. Recumbent bikes are also supposed to be good, if you have access to one.

Swimming might also be a good option for you, although not everyone likes to swim (hair/make-up issues etc.), and really, who likes to wear a bathing suit?

I have feet problems too, but different from yours (post-bilateral bunion surgery), so I really can't advise you there. Good luck!
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:08 PM   #3  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I second the elliptical. I had serious knee trouble when I started and now they are a lot better. Building the muscle in the legs helps a lot and the elliptical is very gentle in the meantime. My feet hurt terribly when I walk on the treadmill still, but I am hoping that will change at some point.

Last edited by NotTheCheat; 03-21-2007 at 11:15 PM. Reason: spelling
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:54 AM   #4  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Height: 5'8"

Oh boy! This is my biggest hurddle. I have a torn Achilles Tendon that inflames the arthitis in my knees. Walking, and standing are my worst enemies. So, I came up with this exercise-I call it: "Chair ups". I sit in my chair, stick my legs out (touching the floor) and do a type of sit up. 100 of these every morning at the office. It's working quite well because my stomach is getting flatter.
Also, swimming helps too.
Janny O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:23 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have osteoarthritis. One of the best things you can do for your knees is strengthen them through weights. If you have have access to a gym, that'd help but you can do things at home such as squats with a ball against a wall, lunges on a step, step down from a step, etc. Also you can get some ankle weights and do front leg lifts as well as angled front leg lifts.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

The other thing I meant to mention.... I find that when I'm lighter, my knee bothers me less. So there is an extra little reward for staying on program and getting the weight under control.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #7  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

Height: 5'4"

Thank you all so much.

Janie, I dont mind getting in a pool. I was going to start water aerobic classes last week. But my oldest daughter got sick and is just now getting Now my youngest isnt feeling well.
Kamily828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:12 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Sometimes having good shoes makes knee problems disappear. And conversely, worn-out shoes make knee problems worse. The bone spurs are a problem--but there are sneaker-type shoes made now that are low in the heel, almost like a scuff, and they don't rub on the spurs.

Try different things! And don't do anything that makes it hurt worse. Hopefully our podiatrist will have some ideas. If he suggests surgery, do some research first.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote